Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Operencia: The Stolen Sun - turn-based blobber by Hungarian pinball devs

Reinhardt

Arcane
I did it too, but it's still shit.

Incendax

Augur
First thing I did was disabling motion sickness blur in the menu. Not sure why game developers think it's a good idea.
Only thing worse than Motion Blur is Bloom.

Found out you can come back to most areas. OCD was freaking out about undiscovered secrets in the first zone.

Last edited:

Incendax

Augur
I can't get over the Voice Acting in this game.
Sometimes it is absolutely awesome: Female Main, Joska, Sebastian, and several NPCs.
But sometimes... you have to listen to Elia. :argh:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So, are there really only 2-3 skills per tier (3 tiers total)? What the fuck
The game does have very soft difficulty curve,by the end game you will do get mobs that almost party wipe you if not prepared. It is more tactical than it looks,later on you do use quite a lot of different skills. The companion's skills do add up.

Naraya

Arcane
So, are there really only 2-3 skills per tier (3 tiers total)? What the fuck
Skill quality > skill quantity.

I prefer fewer skills that are more fleshed out and iconic than multitude of boring crap.

Also... this game is gud, I might post a mini-review after I finish my playthrough but so far I do like a lot of what it has to offer :)

Sentinel

Arcane
Skill quality > skill quantity.
Definitely. The problem is when the "quality" is lacking too. The skills you get, at least at the start, are all boring fucking MMO shit. If you're telling me my characters won't get any additional skills, then I'll just uninstall.

Naraya

Arcane
The skills you get, at least at the start, are all boring fucking MMO shit. If you're telling me my characters won't get any additional skills, then I'll just uninstall.

AFAIK, you can see all available skills in the skill tree - they definitely look more interesting than your generic Magic Arrow ;)

edit: There are also party-skills that you can't see right away (they get unlocked with progression and are quite powerful).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

I finally met my old archnemesis in the glass palace. Anyone who invented sliding puzzles should spend eternity in Daji's torture chamber!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So i just finished the game,12 levels-24 hours of gameplay. I find everything except one secret in the fairy castle. The game itself is a classic dungeon crawler and people shouldn't expect any modern shit in it,outside of a map.

The writing is pretty good,it is a story book adventure than the modern "everything grey,no bad guys,C&C". It is pretty interesting if because it mixes Slav and Tengri old legends and stories. The in game lore and journals are pretty interesting and well written,especially the beastiarity. The dialogue is also good,it feels natural and fun to listen to. The characters are charming and interesting,tho the banter is a lot less in the later maps sadly. Still there a few annoying moments and all of them are with that stupid dike,the mason bitch :argh:.

The gameplay and the exploration is at you should expect from old school dungeon crawler. Run around in a dungeon,kill enemies,open chests,solve puzzles and find secrets. Most of the time the secrets are intuitive and if you miss it,it is on you. The puzzles are pretty fun,unique and interesting,you will rarely see a repeated puzzle. Yet a lot of them are part of the main story and could stop you dead in your track if you are not much of a puzzle guy. The one in the copper forest was very contra-intuitive,it was the only one i had real problem solving because of it. The last level puzzles are interesting,but do feel like more of a time waster because of all the running around needed. In the exploration department the game is great,you have a number of secrets found on the level map and the ability to return later on to finish them. Some of them would need an artefact that you find in later levels. All of them are pretty satisfying to uncover. A lot of them are hidden by unique puzzle or mechanic,yet there is still plenty of hidden buttons and invisible walls. The only negative is that there wasn't more of them out there to find and that some of the artifacts you get are underused,20ish more secrets using artefacts to solve would have been great :). The level design is great and fun to navigate,it is not super realistic but you still doesn't make you wonder why is this room looking the way it looks. It fells like a real place more or less,it is believable. Also the levels do look great,some of them are really beautiful to behold. The music is also great,especially in the second copper forest level.

The itemization is pretty meh in my eyes,i hardly changed the equipment of my party. It is similar to D&D one,weapons do have 1-6 for example and rarely you find something that is a massive improvement. By the end i had weapons that did 2-15 damage or something similar. They do get enchantments added than direct damage increase. Also there are sets that are always fun to just put on. The armours are the same thing,you change it once a few levels if you feel weaker. Inventory is also not very good,it is quite the chore to use and a tad bit confusing.
Almost forgot,there is a crafting in the form of puzzles. It is the best crafting i have seen in a game :). You have to follow a bunch of instructions to put things in the their right place. If you do it right,you get a nice potion. Potions are very useful and they refill on a rest.

Now the combat and the leveling mechanics. You get to choose from three standard classes,mage,warrior and archer. All of them have three unique skill threes and around 12-15 unique skills in them. There are 5 attributes,Strength,Agility,Intelligence,Wisdom and Vigour. On the first sight it looks like a typical dump stat build,but it is not. All of the attributes do effect different stats,thus you will need at least to put some points in different ones. Tho i found wisdom useless for all my characters. You get 5 companions trough the game,and all of them don't have a class but a unique skill threes,thus making them feel very different,even if they are supposed to be in the same class. That will make it around 30 unique skills in a party build of 4,plus 5 party wide skills that you could use every 20ish battles. I found out that by the end of the game almost all of the skills were useful in some way.They are very well balanced and feel useful in combat. Now people comparing it to MMX or Bard's tale 4,should know that the skills here are a lot more fleshed out and useful that both of those games. The game in a whole is better and more fun that both of them. And i do know it,because i finished BT4 once and a half because of stupid bugs and just giving a second chance to MMX...it is still shit.
The combat it self is a TB with initiative and all that jazz. It pretty well made and interesting. The enemies are put in thee lines,yellow,green and blue. Different skills are more or less effective depending on the line the enemy is,same goes for generic attacks. Shooting a bow does have lowered effect on a front line enemy than on back line,and vice versa for melee. The enemies themself is where the combat shines. They are all thematically put in a dungeon and you will not see 5 different types of enemy that don't make sense in it. The enemy types do have different sub types like archers,warriors,tanks,shamans etc etc. They do use the abilities that have in a smart way trying to maximize their output. For example if you have two enemy tanks and one of them is on a low health,the other one will taunt you so to take the target off the first one,preventing you from doing direct damage. They will do stun,silent or focus on a weaker companion. Also with the progressing of the game,the enemies become progressively harder,some times you could even get wiped if not careful. Still in the end the game is pretty easy for a experienced RPG player. I was surprised how many people on retard era and steam run out of supply and die. On the negative side...well the devs as expected are retards and there is no way to speed the battles or disable the animation. Later on they could take a lot of time because of long animations and a lot of debuffs. Would STRONGLY recommend using CheatEngine to speed them up,put it on 2-3 times the speed and have fun.

As conclusion...well the game is great fun,haven't played better blobber/dungeon crawler in years,maybe even decade(not counting replays of old classics :) ). It could be slow or frustrating at some puzzles,but it is a great fun. Would recommend pirating it,since EPIC is paying for it. The game could be very easy,even if some combats are hardish,mainly because of resting works. If there were some optional side battles that were a lot harder it would have been great,but sadly there isn't.

33526699human

Barely Literate
I've been stuck for hours and need help.
I am at the gate of underworld, don't have that mice or whatever ability, 6/7 keys found. The only thing left for me is to solve that puzzle door.
I can't solve that crap for life, pls give tips or straight solution.
Thanks

Nyast

Cipher
Just a few more elements to elaborate on fantadomat's "review":

- the game is completely linear - minus some backtracking for optional puzzles if you want to, as he mentionned -. But otherwise it's straightforward and story focused. You'll be visiting areas one by one with no real choice on where to go. Even within levels the progression is pretty linear, and when there are branch paths they're usually related to puzzles, so you'll have to solve them in a specific order.
- animations in combat ( especially the robots from the Copper forest ) seem.. bugged ? Like, there's a pause during a dozen seconds, and nothing happening on screen. It's weird, I suspect there's a bug in these animations. In any case, it's definitely making these areas a chore.
- the puzzles in the early levels are quite easy. However the difficulity increases fairly quickly. Expect a lot of frustration in the mid/later levels. I also gave up at the Copper forest, and man, I finished BT4 without help
- speaking of puzzles and BT4, although this game does not have puzzles themes that repeat over and over ( that's good ! ), they still do a couple of these "collect X items hidden in the level" quests.. I'm not quite sure which one the two I despise the most to be honnest..
- I agree the inventory needs work. I think my main gripe with it is how they have a nice item comparison system, but it only takes into account attack / defense / initiative points and not how items will affect the character's stats with its bonus ( like +vigor, +agility etc.. ). So the comparison system quickly becomes useless and you need to compare items one-by-one manually, in many cases
- I also totally agree about the crafting system. It's pretty fantastic. I really like that there's some difficulity in figuring out the recipe from hints, but once you do, you don't have to repeat crafting or gather ingredients everywhere. It's smart and it's grind-less. Never seen that in a game before. The crafting system almost functions as a puzzle which gives you a special skill once you've solved it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am at the gate of underworld, don't have that mice or whatever ability, 6/7 keys found. The only thing left for me is to solve that puzzle door.
Thanks
Have you finished the atila's tomb,it should be at the beach? Also in the last page had pointed out the location of most keys. Have you got the one in the locked chest at the tents?

33526699human

Barely Literate
Thanks
Have you finished the atila's tomb,it should be at the beach? Also in the last page had pointed out the location of most keys. Have you got the one in the locked chest at the tents?
I see now what my problem is
how the hell can i get into alta's tomb? I can only see the enter on the map but can't access it from the beach

Reinhardt

Arcane
24 hours of gameplay
Thanks for saving my time and thanks Epic for saving my money. I just lost what little interest i had. Maybe it's not bad game after all but i don't understand short blobbers and never will.
20 hours long game when half of the time you just pixel-hunt already cleared levels for secrets is not exaclty what i want.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Thanks
I see now what my problem is
how the hell can i get into alta's tomb? I can only see the enter on the map but can't access it from the beach
I believe that you had to get all the keys to get the cinematic. There are two in the mines. One is in the room next to the boss,the other one is in the room just left from where you enter. Maybe is on the wall as you exit the room.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
24 hours of gameplay
Thanks for saving my time and thanks Epic for saving my money. I just lost what little interest i had. Maybe it's not bad game after all but i don't understand short blobbers and never will.
20 hours long game when half of the time you just pixel-hunt already cleared levels for secrets is not exaclty what i want.
The fuck are you doing in this thread if you don't like such type of games? You could always pirate the shit,you are a fucking polish,have some thieving pride!

Incendax

Augur
Bear guy really needs an overhaul. His abilities are so expensive and have no particular synergy.

JDR13

Arcane
24 hours of gameplay

I don't understand people who think every blobber needs to be Wizardry 8.

Who cares if it's only 24 hours long? As long as it's a good 24 hours, that's all that matters.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I would be satisfied if there were any other blobber like Wiz 8. There is none. At least we have competition to Wiz 7 now

JDR13

Arcane
I would be satisfied if there were any other blobber like Wiz 8. There is none. At least we have competition to Wiz 7 now

Yeah, Wiz 8 was one of a kind. Probably my all-time favorite turn-based blobber.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom