Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Operencia: The Stolen Sun - turn-based blobber by Hungarian pinball devs

newtmonkey

Arcane
I finished this just now, and enjoyed it overall. The middle portion of the game tended to drag, but the game became a lot more interesting toward the end.

It's hard not to compare it with BT4 and M&MX, as all three are modern attempts at blobbers with combat focused on MMO-esque roles (tank, healer, etc.). I'd probably rank Operencia last of the three, simply due to how linear and constrained it is, and I would have preferred a larger, more open world to explore.

I was hoping for a really unique world and story (the Steam store page promises "a world inspired by Central European mythology") but most of the game was your typical warriors and wizards fighting skeletons and dragons in caves. There were some cool-looking environments later on, though (Copper Forest mostly).

The game peaked in difficulty very early on, and at around halfway through I regretted not enabling the difficulty options. I might replay the game later with the difficulty turned up.

[Edit] For my party, I went with:

- Mage (main character) - nearly all points in INT, focusing on element magic
- Joska - STR/INT split attacker, focusing mostly on the poison skills, light healing
- Mezey - STR/VIG split tank, focusing mostly on tanky skills
- Kela - STR attacker, focusing on melee skills (summon tree ignored), light healing

I enjoyed the build variety as each character seemed to have two different builds based on which skill trees you bought.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I finished this just now, and enjoyed it overall.

It's hard not to compare it with BT4 and M&MX, as all three are modern attempts at blobbers with combat focused on MMO-esque roles (tank, healer, etc.). I'd probably rank Operencia last of the three

Worse than BT4, that's all I needed to know, thanks.

It was never on my "play list" now, it doesn't even exist.

BruceVC

Magister

I for one liked it WAY more than BT4.
Both are very entertaining and worthwhile RPG, I preferred BT4 because it was longer and their seemed to be more combat and characters skill choices and advancement ?

But I loved the narrative and lore in Operencia

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I finished this just now, and enjoyed it overall.

It's hard not to compare it with BT4 and M&MX, as all three are modern attempts at blobbers with combat focused on MMO-esque roles (tank, healer, etc.). I'd probably rank Operencia last of the three

Nothing is on your playlist,dipshit. All you do is spam the rpg forum and bitching how this game that you didn't nor will play is shit. You are more retarded than fucking gbtemplar at this point lol.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

I for one liked it WAY more than BT4.

I liked BT4 but it was a pure Brian Fargo caper all the way -- too fucking long, and too fucking bloated. Also, the weapon/equipment system in BT4 was mega retarded, infuriating almost.

Operencia was a very good game. Highly recommended.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Also, the weapon/equipment system in BT4 was mega retarded, infuriating almost.

Do you have some examples?

Weapons modify stats and skills -- they're basically trinkets. As I recall (though I could be wrong, it has been some time) they don't really have base damage or anything like that. They increase your stats, which is then translated into your damage, hit points, etc. Also, weapons can modify certain skills if your character is specialized in them. This isn't bad, very similar to a proficiency bonus. But the way the game is set up, you might not find some of the "tagged" skills very useful for your character.

The game also suffers a bit because of the way turns work. Your party starts with four points to spend among all party members per turn, with some abilities using points (I think they call them "opportunity points"), others using spell points, and still others not using either but existing on a cool down. The thing is, you can easily get yourself to 5 or 6 opportunity points depending on the skills you take, which can trivialize many encounters.

All of this is forgivable, though, because the tactical combat is actually quite good. Each fight can be a mini-puzzle in itself, with enemies moving to different slots and foiling your attacks, or with you taunting/pushing/dropping them into new squares so you can pound on them, and so forth.

It's worth playing through once. But if you're like me, it feels like watching a Quentin Tarantino movie: too long and draining now matter how good it is, and you'll go ten years before touching it again.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So I finally tried it for 2-3 hours and it is kinda lame. It's not super-bad and the optics are relatively nice, but all the rest is mediocre at best. The "save at camping spots" system I can't stand, the puzzles are mostly boring timewasters and it is just a pretty linear slog overall.

I can see why most people forgot this game even exists. It's still better than Grimrock due to turn-based combat (which is not great either) and probably better than BT4. M&M X was way, way better though in my opinion.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I remember burning out like in like 2/3 of the game and never going back to it, not a bad game, but kinda meh.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I enjoyed the dungeon design and the combat was okay. However the party selection is trash. I recall being very annoyed that the first three characters who join are all some flavor of fighter with no proper healer or mage. Since my main guy was also a fighter type i had a totally unbalanced team. You dont even get a real healer until last, how much of the game is even left at that point? Swing and a miss, Pinball bros.

If you know this ahead of time and roll your own mage it's probably a much better experience.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I enjoyed the dungeon design and the combat was okay. However the party selection is trash. I recall being very annoyed that the first three characters who join are all some flavor of fighter with no proper healer or mage. Since my main guy was also a fighter type i had a totally unbalanced team. You dont even get a real healer until last, how much of the game is even left at that point? Swing and a miss, Pinball bros.

If you know this ahead of time and roll your own mage it's probably a much better experience.
Operencia's classes are based on a tripartite division between fighters, archers, and mages, and of the first three companions, the first is an archer, the second is a (defensive) fighter, and the third is a sort of hunter/mage hybrid. You should have been far better off with a PC fighter than I was with a PC archer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom