Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Original Deus Ex Facelift using UT2004

denizsi

Arcane
Just in case anyone besides me still cares about the first game;

http://mods.moddb.com/6569/deus-ex-reborn/

edit: There is also a texture & model replacement mod to enhance the original game, which I intended to mention but forgot to do so. Thanks to GianMarco below, I mention it now;

http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

Zomg

Arbiter
Seems like a lot of work for not much gain. DX still feels modern enough.

On the other hand, fan art updates and engine rejiggers seem to pipeline a lot of people into the industry, so maybe that's the point.

Drakron

Arcane
"There will be some modifications to the original game however they wont impact the plot."

Translation:

"We are going to gutter what made Deus Ex unique and turn it into a generic FPS."

Higher Game

Arcane
System Shock 2 would look really good with some new, Doom 3 style lighting. Those cargo holds would be even scarier than before! :twisted:

Deus Ex looks fine. Luckily, this seems to be aimed at hardcore fans. We plan to make the game more challenging in some areas and force the player to consider their options instead of running up and slicing everyong to death(our apologies in advance to the dragon's tooth fanatics).

I admit to cranking up the speed aug to max and slicing everyone up with that uber sword. I'd love to see more challenge in the game.

Jabbapop

Scholar
bleuneptune said:
But when you combine the two mods (which great care has been taken to ensure compatibility), you have a nice combination of sweet graphics and gripping features.

What has our marketting culture done!?!?!?!!?

Data4

Arcane
Drakron said:
"There will be some modifications to the original game however they wont impact the plot."

Translation:

"We are going to gutter what made Deus Ex unique and turn it into a generic FPS."

That only applies to companies who acquire old, beloved game licenses with plans to make whatever followup is next in the numbering convention. Sorta like Fallout 3. Freebies get a pass.

-D4

Higher Game

Arcane
I seriously doubt if Fallout 3 will have that title. It will probably be Fallout: Extreme Post-Nuke Mayhem. Kind of like how Deus Ex 2 was called Invisible War instead of simply Deus Ex 2. Games that live up to the original usually simply add a number, while spin-off sellouts get entirely new titles.

GianMarco

Novice

bryce777

Erudite
Higher Game said:
I seriously doubt if Fallout 3 will have that title. It will probably be Fallout: Extreme Post-Nuke Mayhem. Kind of like how Deus Ex 2 was called Invisible War instead of simply Deus Ex 2. Games that live up to the original usually simply add a number, while spin-off sellouts get entirely new titles.

Hmm, that is a good point.

I do wonder what the title will be.

Fallout 3: San Andreas?

Fallout 3: Master's' revenge

Fallout 3: Return of the supermutants

Fallout 3: Oblivion

?

roguefrog

Liturgist
Sort of doubting if Bethsoft will drop the number. They've been straight with their Elder Scrolls numbering despite the cross-platform development. (Unlike Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3) Especially with comments like "we're developing Fallout 3 like we made the first two" (quote not exact)

Fallout 3: The Backstroke of the West

denizsi

Arcane
Yeh DX is one of my favourite games, but if you think that mod looks good you should check out HDTP. These guys are doing a facelift for all the textures in the game.

I knew about it as well, but I forgot to mention it in first post. Thanks for reminding.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
roguefrog said:
System Shock could use a need coat of paint.

http://shtup.home.att.net/

What is it?
SHTUP is a mod for System Shock 2 which aims to increase the resolution of all the common (and quite a few of the not-so-common) object textures.

This is my second run through using SHTUP. The graphic updates are nice. It's at BETA 5, but the current graphic additions are worth it, and breathes some new life into SS2.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
denizsi said:
Just in case anyone besides me still cares about the first game;

http://mods.moddb.com/6569/deus-ex-reborn/

Why they chose the UT2004 engine is... an odd choice. I don't own that, nor will ever buy it. I still am however more looking forward to:

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

Project HDTP is a High Definition Texture Package for the original Deus Ex game. The original in-game textures were of a very low resolution, some textures even being as low as 32x32. However, it was discovered that it is possible to increase the resolution of those textures to a maximum of 256. This has been tested in-game and we have witnessed the start of a massive graphical overhaul.

Progress on this MOD so far looks good. Deus Ex with a new "coat of paint" would also be a nice addition to me.

roguefrog

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
roguefrog said:
System Shock could use a need coat of paint.

http://shtup.home.att.net/

What is it?
SHTUP is a mod for System Shock 2 which aims to increase the resolution of all the common (and quite a few of the not-so-common) object textures.

This is my second run through using SHTUP. The graphic updates are nice. It's at BETA 5, but the current graphic additions are worth it, and breathes some new life into SS2.

Heh, of course I ment the Original. The sequel is well taken care of.

denizsi

Arcane
There's also a long finished model&texture replacement mod for SS2, called Rebirth I think. It made the game a lot better. I think (all of) you already know it though. You do, right?

System Shock 2 would look really good with some new, Doom 3 style lighting. Those cargo holds would be even scarier than before!

There have been attempts to make a SS2 remake using different engines, including D3 but EA warned them & sent them legal notices. Some of the folks decided to just change the names and references in the actual game and go on with it, but as far as I know, none of them survived long enough to go into a solid development cycle.

Why they chose the UT2004 engine is... an odd choice.

Because both are UT engines and it's easier to port the resources into an UT engine. At least that's what the guys say on their site.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom