Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Our Top 10 Adventure Games [Results]

made

Arcane
N1 Jaesun m8, but why you lumped all Monkeys together but Maniac Mansion is separate I do not understand it? Now we still don't know for sure which Lucas adventure game is best of all time.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is also another underdog candidate. I present to you,
*drumroll*

Police quest 2 (JP):
pq2-jp1.png

Also, one more reason you should play Conquests of the Longbow:
longbow-13.png

Bubb

Barely Literate
Interesting results, but I think the method of counting votes is totally fucked up. You should have asked voters to rank their lists and grade their votes accordingly.

I.e: the favorite adventure game of someone shoudn't count as much as his 10th favorite. Most people who voted obviously didn't play many adventures and struggled to remember ten titles(that is the only decent explanation for all the ridiculous amount of votes for games like Fahreinheit and Dreamfall). Example: favorite game should receive 5 points, second and third should receive 4 points, etc.

With a simple counting like the one you used, it is only natural to end up with such a generic list. The games that get the most mention wins, not the game that made the best impression. Obscure games that few played won't make it to the final list, even if everyone who played it names it their favorite. Mainstream games(both the great ones and the lame ones) end up topping everything else naturally, even if they only figure as choices made due to lack of memory or lack adventuring experience.

If I dig these forums and stick around I will probably start a new poll, with partial results updated frequently and with a proper and rational voting method.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Most people who voted obviously didn't play many adventures and struggled to remember ten titles(that is the only decent explanation for all the ridiculous amount of votes for games like Fahreinheit and Dreamfall)

I'm sometimes curious to feel how people like you work; getting inside your head, trying to be in a mind that so clearly cannot percieve of a world where everbody doesn't understand things exactly the way you do yourself.

It's interesting. Like your mind is tuned to be devoid of the certain kind of empathy that makes you understand how people can actually reason and sense the world in a manner completely different to your own.

Bubb

Barely Literate
Fahrenheit and Dreamfall were terrible abortions, and most people who voted for them in that thread admitted to not playing a lot of adventure games.

No offense man, if you really liked these games you don't need to lash out on me, but you need to check out the old sierra games and other QUALITY classics. Liking this modern crap isn't healthy.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Bubb said:
Fahrenheit and Dreamfall were terrible abortions, and most people who voted for them in that thread admitted to not playing a lot of adventure games.

No offense man, if you really liked these games you don't need to lash out on me, but you need to check out the old sierra games and other QUALITY classics. Liking this modern crap isn't healthy.

I nearly only played adventure games when I started playing games. My first RPG was adventure-ish (Lands of Lore).

In my mind, most adventure games leave a lot to be desired gameplay-wise. That goes for both Lucas Arts-games and Sierra. They're more interactive stories for me, always have been.

Therefore, I vote for both Fahrenheit and Dreamfall. Their gameplay sucks, but so does most of the oldschool classics in adventure-gaming. As interactive stories they function just as well.

Bubb

Barely Literate
Adventure games have a very particular gameplay style(inventory based puzzles, most are point and click, etc). I'm not even sure these games can be called "adventure" in the classic sense. Might as well put Torment and the Final Fantasy games in the list while you are at it.

And the setting, art, style,plot, story and characters on games like Dreamfall are so very weak when you compare them to the classics.

I just throw up in my mouth a little when a game like Dreamfall gets almost as many votes as Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers in a "top adventures" list.

This voting is broken, and should be remade, simple as that.

Justice demands it!

Bubb

Barely Literate
Your lack of taste and judgement offends me.

Begone, inferior man.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Bubb said:
Your lack of taste and judgement offends me.

Begone, inferior man.

Stand back, gentlemen, we have before us a true codexian :salute:

Welcome son, I trust you will enjoy your stay. Remember to insult the doorman on your way out!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I propose that we all make our own top ten threads in the future so as to avoid controversy in the future. That way in the future the future will be in the future.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I'm a bit disappointed Loom only got 4 votes... :(

And Farenheith got 9!! :decline: :decline:

Redlands

Arcane
Jesus fucking Christ, what a popamole list.

DICK-LINE OF THE CODEX

No wonder I stopped posting.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bubb said:
If I dig these forums and stick around I will probably start a new poll, with partial results updated frequently and with a proper and rational voting method.
I assume you will leave out Fahrenheit and Dreamfall from the list, so we can't vote for them. Thus your theory will be proven.

Oh, by the way, Dreamfall is not even on the list. It is The Longest Journey, Dreamfall was the sequel.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Indiana Jones Last Crusade was so much better than that Fate of Atlantis crap.

Bubb

Barely Literate
Like I said, it's a broken list, the execution was lazy and the planning was poor. We need a new one. I might do it eventually.

Not sure if "Jaesun" is one of the many homossexuals that inhabit this place, if so that explains his flare for the flamboyant and innefective.

Seriously, accepting votes for "game series" has to be one of the most stupid choices possible when making a top ten list.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DarkUnderlord said:
Indiana Jones Last Crusade was so much better than that Fate of Atlantis crap.

Yeah I own both from a sale on Steam but have not played either one. Was wondering why so many specifically mentioned Fate of Atlantis as their favorite.

Grunker said:
This fool is 10.000 times more a faggot than Jaesun :smug:

:salute: Yet another faggot to be put on the ignore list.

Bubb

Barely Literate
Oh look, the offended modern gamer has resorted to ad hominem attacks. Stick to the topic, will ya? Chump.

Someone that admits to crying at the ending of DREAMFALL doesn't have the moral right to yell "faggotry" at others. This sad person should simply accept suicide as the only noble alternative. Either that or live life in shame and guilt.

Anyway, people who put games like Dreamfall on their top ten lists shouldn't even be counted. They should participate in their own and special lists, you know, lists like "top 10 people that most resemble Liberace in behaviour patterns" or "top 10 people who should start a career in gay musical theather".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This guy is really good. I bet he really believes the bullshit he is talking. Trolling at its best. :thumbsup:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Bubb said:
I love cock! Yummy yummy cock!.

and by the way:

Users posting from this IP address
larpingdude17 [ 25 Posts ] Search
­Schattenjäger [ 22 Posts ] Search
Bubb [ 18 Posts ] Search
BonziBUDDY [ 12 Posts ] Search
Guest [ 2 Posts ]

Just keep your shit in GD fucking faggot.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
To put this thread back in line, let me say that I just replayed DOTT and --daum-- what a great game. I don't think I got half of the jokes back in the day when I first played it. As for the puzzles, great stuff. All of them logical (at least in the wacky-logic meaning). Also, the fact that you play with 3 different characters in 3 different time periods makes for some interesting situations and this pretty much diminishes the "use everything with everything" trick since each character can use only about 1/3 of the items.

Favorite puzzle :

- Steal tentacle anatomical sketch from the future
- Send it back to 1978 at the constitutional convention (that apparently took place in the Edison mansion/inn)
- Pass them up as the plans for USA's new flag, thus making a red, white and blue tentacle the new American flag.
- Take the flag off the pole in the future, wear it and disguise as a tentacle.

DotT%20-%20Tentacle%20Flag-550x.jpg

:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom