Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*out of date* - PS:T 1024x768 UI pack (v0.6)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I can relate tap, it's been madness with all these offsets and hex editing :P

As for the loading screens and the "insert cd" screens , they remain a mystery, I've also searched all the goddam values in the exe and found nothing.

Also , the problem with these windowed effects of high level spells seems to be that you can't change the .bmp size. I've tried editing the bmp background of desert hell to fir the whole screen and the game doesn't show anything...

taplonaplo

Scholar
stupid question, you set the display window size as well?
So it's cropped outside the 640x480box? heey maybe some more bmp dimensions to hunt:D:D
i think i soon fetch the display window(if there's one)
002bb1e1 x/2 bladestorm(effect)
002bb1eb 276 bladestorm(effect)
call lightning hides good!
EDIT:
002bbbea x spell display window(bladestorm)
002bbbf4 y spell display window(bladestorm)

Maybe i should hvae a look at sub lvl 5 wizard spells...now that all but celestial host is done.
And calllightning...it should have been an easy offset:(

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
taplonaplo said:
stupid question, you set the display window size as well?
So it's cropped outside the 640x480box? heey maybe some more bmp dimensions to hunt:D:D

Yes, i've set the window size to match the resolution (1280x800) and I've edited the bmp background to match the resolution. Unfortunately the game either crashes or doesn't show anything but the spell effects... If it was simply a matter of finding some bmp dimensions in the offset,i think it would still show the upper left 640x480 part of the new bmp image. I fear it may be some fixed size value that does not allow for anything bigger...

Have you also found the display window of rune of torment?

taplonaplo

Scholar
I don't have the framed one(the one actually needed). The background is not blaackened for me but frozen. Similar to celestial host without modified offset (with modified offset it looks like mechanus cannon). Axe of torment offset needs to be found...im on it.
Crash sounds like some hardcoded maximum dimensions. Can you test it with a journal picture over 640x480? if it crashes we are screwed and need to find the coordinates of the image...which is 2 0s and i don't think it'd be easy to find. If it doesn't crash, there should be another bmp dimension offset like for the journal pics...logically, which means nothing here:).
I'm more worried about bams, and i'm about to test it. I don't think desert storm or bladestorm background looks good anyway:P
EDIT:
002c5eda x/2 axeoftorment(effect)
002c5ed5 y/2+9 axeoftorment(effect)
To amke it clear: there are 2 display windows
i called display window the 640x480 windows needed for spell display
there's another 640x408(game area)and blackened top and bottom display window which i had no luck locating yet.(Well, i found nearby 640x408s...suspiciously in the celestial host area, but they just don't work:()

BAMs can be displayed 1024x768:D woopie!

taplonaplo

Scholar

Wow, now this one WAS tough! it took friggin ages, by the process i learnt a bit of assembly too lol. I Disassembled the exe. It can help sometimes(if you know some real basics, or just understand by inspecting some cases like i did) but it might be slower. To work you'll need to write a 3rd short(i think) aswell as it's coords are 0,36.
So this bastard:
003bc6ee x Spell display window
003bc6f5 y Spell display window
003bc6e4 24 spell display window(extension-rewrite this to 0)
no more black box top n bottom, it's cropped at 640 so it's better to remove it altogether

taplonaplo

Scholar
I also find a place that can move jounral pictures, but it's maximum value is 127 (after that it jumps to negative) and that's not enought.
So here goes celestialhost:
002d9061 x spell display window(celestial host)
002d906b y spell display window(celestial host)
posted before
003bc6ee x SPELLWINDOW
003bc6f5 y SPELLWINDOW
003bc6e4 extra spellwindow
and the others
002d8345 x/2 celestialhost-effect
002d833a 204 celestialhost-effect
002d9344 x/2 celestialhost-heaven-angel
002d9326 y/2 celestialhost-heaven-angel
002d94b6 x/2 celestialhost-heaven-gate
002d9485 134 celestialhost-heaven-gate note: to increase the value decrease it
002daee2 x/2 celestialhost-phoenix-impact
002daeca 204 celestialhost-phoenix-impact
002dbb00 x/2 celestialhost-archer-impact
002dbafb Y/2 celestialhost-archer-impact
002dbbdb x/2 celestialhost-archer-sun
002dbbbd 208 celestialhost-archer-sun
002dc2e1 x/2 celestialhost-archer-archer
002dc2c3 204 celestialhost-archer-archer
002dd460 x/2 celestialhost-dragon-impact
002dd45b 204 celestialhost-dragon-impact
there are many more 320/204 around, i didn't see any difference. I didn't find the 'impact' of the 1st angel(or maybe i did, who knows) but i can't really see difference.
It'll require heavy bamresize:) and the gate seems to overflow to negative-wrong...somewhere.
EDIT:
Accidentaly i found call lightning...the bstard is after celestial host:)
002ded9b x/2 calllightning(effect)
002ded96 360 calllightning(effect)[/i]

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Tap, only one little correction, in celestial host the default heaven-gate y value is 134 and it actually needs to be reduced in order to lower the image.

Also it seems that you can resize the bmp backgrounds of Bladestorm and desert hell, after all, you just have to save them in a 256 colors format (as the original)

taplonaplo

Scholar
Thanks for the correction. I'll have to check/test all the offsets again to correct my offset txt. Not to mention the 2cd version:).
The loading screen still puzzles me. I still have a few ideas, but they are rather absurd and hardly the way they operate:(.

taplonaplo

Scholar
I believe i'm really close to the solution of the loading screen. I found the zero point, which is unfortunately useless, but if the structure is the same as with other windows, the display dimensions should be around _really_ close. problem is that no direct 640x480 around so it must be read from a variable or something =/
EDIT:
Found the handle that controls the picture similar to journal pic in normal, so max is 7f. The 640x480 should be between these 2 parts....good sign!
That's for today...maybe tomorrow there will be results

That would be great!
Also, sorry for not doing anything these days, but I have some admission tests for the university waiting for me, and I'm already studying less than I should.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Finding these offsets will really be an achievement tap.
Good luck with your exams VO.
I also have university exams so no don't expect much from me these days.

taplonaplo

Scholar
well maybe its not that far away actually...

now the thing is, it's not the usual rewrite this short thing. I have to make sure that the way i got it working doesn't cause troubles (as i actually cut parts of the code and replaced it with other).
But it looks good so far!
Last year in high school starts for me...so i want to get it done asap:P
EDIT: my dad says (whos a programmer)that what i did shouldn't cause troubles but i still have to look into the rest of the bars. They are rather straightforward now tho.
If i manage to find a patch area(filled with useless stuff) i can make the journal pics work right without image modifying. (as well as map notes), which would enable us to make a more or less modular ui pack (if we can get ahold of someone with weidu knowledge)

taplonaplo

Scholar
aww it's not so easy i hoped it was.
I have some display issues with load/save game, unload screen works as it should. I have no idea about the insert cd screen, but honsetly you won't see that more than 2x in a game so not an issue imo.
EDIT: I was wrong(rather lot lately hehe), silly me forgot to change pictures to the new resolution. I'll still try to figure out a centered 640x480 loading screen if i can, but i'm almost 100% positive that fullscreen loading screen can be done now (bars won't look so good but still better than the current situation).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, completely removing (meaning making them transparent) loading screens is a viable solution after all, since in newer pc's loading times are a couple of seconds. I've tried it and honestly I haven't missed them much.

taplonaplo

Scholar
004f463e x loading screen
004f4640 y loading screen
could you try these out? simple write short

centering:
Well the problem is that originally these screens are pushed away by 0pixels, and that's stored in 1 byte so i can't set it over 127.

Alternatively you could modify the images...but that's pretty hefty in size. The best would be if i had a place where i could write some bytes.

EDIT: mybe i did, gotta try out.

Weird... the game doesn't start, the error message says "no valid video modes supported".
Also, the signed short value of 003f4640 is -31667... is it the right offset?

At any rate, though, thanks for your work.

edit: nevermind, I tried with the correct offset (0x4f4640) and everything works fine. Thanks!

As for the backgrounds... EXTEND_MOS perhaps?

taplonaplo

Scholar
sorry for the typo.
That would be interesting, especially if we can set the transparent color to black, but that might mess up some images.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Strange , when I change these offsets I only the "loading/unloading Data" upper part of the image is visible along with the green progress bar. The rest is transparent.

taplonaplo

Scholar
If what you describe is what i think, you haven't resizd the images to the corresponding dimension.

EDIT: i started to write some script (similar to what dltcep does to make transparent colors) and by what i've seen if the transparent color is set in the 1st slot in the palette it won't be affected by brightness and contrast...the tricky thing is reordering palettes (maybe you can do it with gimp) and do it so for every frame(that has transparent part ofc). Compare some original mos-es with the bigg's modified ones to see what i mean.

EXTEND_MOS works fine.

unloading.png

Code:
COPY_EXISTING ~GUIDS10.MOS~ ~override~

EXTEND_MOS ~HCENT~ ~1024~
EXTEND_MOS ~VCENT~ ~768~

Rinse & repeat for every background.

Also, I've never edited .MOS files with DLTCEP, so I'll need to take a look at it. I don't think that transparency is necessary for load/save backgrounds though, black background is fine.

unloading02.png

Better? I did this:

GBARBACK.jpg

Some images still don't display though. I'm working on it.

edit: Test time!

This is the modified GBARFORE.MOS I used for the previous screenshot:

GBARFORE.jpg

This is a modified version, for testing:

test_bar_01.png

Result:

unloading03.png

Conclusion: we need *sigh* two more offsets.

taplonaplo

Scholar
okies i look into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom