Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Overfall - [a Roguelite Fantasy RPG]

Ash_Firelord

Educated
I like the recording, in addition maybe you can lower music/fx a little to pop out your sound a little forward. sometimes hard to hear your voice because of game itself. now be a famous one so i can say im 2. subscriber of that guy :D

Yes indeed you are correct, I had a lousy sound capture config going on, it's much better now. Maybe I'll redo it for the updated Alpha demo.

weashell

Novice
Yes indeed you are correct, I had a lousy sound capture config going on, it's much better now. Maybe I'll redo it for the updated Alpha demo.

You should be invited to beta program aswell i think. You are good at details.

Ash_Firelord

Educated
New video is up, enjoyed it more, though not sure if actual improvements were made to the demo, or if it was just me paying more attention.

Managed to use cleric move skill properly, but the way it works seems very counter-intuitive.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The closed beta started this week.

First impression is so and so: RNG can be quite fatal. One missed spell and you can lose a character.

The combat is decent (I honestly don't have a reference for comparison). There are a few bugs. There is a lot of grinding (the new bane of roguelike game).

And it seems I simply lack the patience for roguelike games.

weashell

Novice
Probably the first video since closed beta started. At least i couldnt manage to find another one yet.
Im sure Ash_Firelord will make one soon for us :)

Ash_Firelord

Educated
I opted for a GoG version so I guess it will take a while to get the beta option. :D

weashell

Novice
Wow there is no Early Access for GoG too i guess :( Never understood that why GoG?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Playing it at the moment, the game's pretty decent. Game is mostly tough combats and those can be very brutal. The balance requires some work, though. First, most of the classes without healing are shit - I'm kinda tired playing with Warlord, but it's a pain in the ass to sustain a party without him. Second, overall unlock ratio needs to be higher. Much higher.

To put it simply, the biggest part of the RPG system needs to be unlocked in-game first by completing some quest (occasionally, in a specific mannner) - character classes, companions, weapons, abilities, everything. And lots of that - like, 7 extra classes to unlock, about 15 weapons-skills-trinkets (and that's for all 9 classes - the starting ones included) and, IIRC, 25 companions.

That's, like, more than a hundred and a half items. During one playthrough, you get 3-4 unlocked at best. And one playthrough is 1-2 hours (that's with the cheat engine enabled - basic animation speed is stoner-tier). So that's what, 200 hours to unlock everything? I like the game, but not that much. Besides, without decent unlocks (I've been lucky to get the key-trinket for the Warlord first), the game can devolve to a mindless grind.

But that's just early access stuff, I hope. Anyways, the core gameplay is cool (though I have no idea why the hell it's in the strategy forum). And the price is nice too (though I've got a nice preview key, lol).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, isn't this the game that Chris Avellone had some involvement with? Why's it stuffed here in Strategy Gaming?

Crooked Bee Can you move it and give Cibram Bolt a developer tag (Pera Games)?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's Fairfax's post about MCA's Overfall style guide:

I don't know why this wasn't posted before, but it's great.

There's this Early Access game coming up called Overfall. It'll feature a story creation mode, and they asked/hired Chris Avellone to write a game writing style guide to help players.
The guide is already available, and according to Gameranx it has almost 10,000 words.

Haven't read it yet, but looks very detailed and seems to cover a lot. Anyway, here it is.

I guess this is the guide he hinted last month when he answered my question on twitter:

Just one more thing: in several interviews you mention a style guide you wrote, and it sounds immensely useful. Is that a general guide available somewhere or something specific from a previous project?

On the Style Guide thing, there's been a lot of random discussions about it lately, I may end up posting one for a specific project (although it would include general ones/rules as well). I've written about 5-6, I think, and they date back to the Black Isle days when we first used them to standardize text (we kept iterating on them, so they've grown over time and depending on the project).

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Not really interested in the game itself but had missed that style guide. Very, very interesting read.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
A pretty good little game, been playing it for a while.

You can tell why MCA would like it :)

sser

Arcane
Developer
Here's Fairfax's post about MCA's Overfall style guide:

I don't know why this wasn't posted before, but it's great.

There's this Early Access game coming up called Overfall. It'll feature a story creation mode, and they asked/hired Chris Avellone to write a game writing style guide to help players.
The guide is already available, and according to Gameranx it has almost 10,000 words.

Haven't read it yet, but looks very detailed and seems to cover a lot. Anyway, here it is.

I guess this is the guide he hinted last month when he answered my question on twitter:

Just one more thing: in several interviews you mention a style guide you wrote, and it sounds immensely useful. Is that a general guide available somewhere or something specific from a previous project?

On the Style Guide thing, there's been a lot of random discussions about it lately, I may end up posting one for a specific project (although it would include general ones/rules as well). I've written about 5-6, I think, and they date back to the Black Isle days when we first used them to standardize text (we kept iterating on them, so they've grown over time and depending on the project).

“Other things to watch out for? Long speeches before a boss fight where you can't save after the conversation. Don't do this, I beg you - if they have to reload, they may come after you with torches and pitchforks…. that is, if Quality Assurance doesn’t have your head on a pike already.”

Praise Be.

Edit: game's pretty solid. Lots of characters and abilities to use so there's decent replayability. I'd say worth a fiver at least.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Hey all! I am a developer of Overfall - ask me anything you need - i am hunting down all the threads and posts around the world :D

*casting portal to another forum skill*

When to expect new content?

Cibram Bolt

Pera Games
Developer
Hey all! I am a developer of Overfall - ask me anything you need - i am hunting down all the threads and posts around the world :D

Hoping to release a new content pack very soon, writers are working on it.

Me and 3 more fellas from Overfall's small team started working on a new game last month. It is going to be a strategy/simulation this time with quite a lot of RPG elements. We are planning to create a world in Low Fantasy setting where you will lead your dynasty's destiny and those who swear fealty to your family.

We've inspired from Football Manager, and working on a prototype to see if it is possible to create a world with thousands of characters with stats, traits, goals, behaviors, etc. in a living world, while you are in charge of a lord of a dynasty (imagine you are the lord of Winterfell (Game of Thrones) - and see Hodor's character sheet).

We will try quite a lot of new systems as well. Tech tree's for example will not be as same as most strategy titles, nor the diplomatic actions. Well, this is the plan ;) I am kinda excited to play this game and what we will have next year.

Wish us luck :)

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Me and 3 more fellas from Overfall's small team started working on a new game last month. It is going to be a strategy/simulation this time with quite a lot of RPG elements. We are planning to create a world in Low Fantasy setting where you will lead your dynasty's destiny and those who swear fealty to your family.

We've inspired from Football Manager, and working on a prototype to see if it is possible to create a world with thousands of characters with stats, traits, goals, behaviors, etc. in a living world, while you are in charge of a lord of a dynasty (imagine you are the lord of Winterfell (Game of Thrones) - and see Hodor's character sheet).

We will try quite a lot of new systems as well. Tech tree's for example will not be as same as most strategy titles, nor the diplomatic actions. Well, this is the plan ;) I am kinda excited to play this game and what we will have next year.

Wow, thank you for replying!

Will be new unlocks in new pack?

New characters,
nw skills,
new trinkets,
new weapons,
new companins,
ne enemies?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The idea of the new game sounds VERY interesting.
But it will be hard to avoid too much generic filler content, I hope you manage that!

Unwanted

Bésame Mucho

Unwanted
Doanloaning!
edit
+ nice budget intro art
-- moronic writing that contains nuggets with "The Everking" und "THEY ARE CUMING@!"
- opens window on the secondary lcd...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom