Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oxygen Not Included - space colony sim from Klei

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i never make batteries cuz i have no idea how they work :dance:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
how could i not

guess i'm just very good at coal mining

also i never bother with all the automation nonsense so i guess i save a lot of energy on that

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just started to play this and so far it's great fun. But I have a question. My colony died because I ran out of algee, so just wondering here. If I dig far enough to either left or right, will I find algee heavy areas again, or does the areas around me just increase in "diffculty"? With that I mean, only less resources and such? Does algee and coal only exist around the initial base position? I didn't get too far when I tried now because my colony was in a constant state of panic :)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There are typically big coal and algae patches in the 'purple' biomes. You can also get lots of algae from green biomes, as well as slime that can be distilled into them but I find this to be such a headache it's not worth the time unless I'm desperate.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Just started to play this and so far it's great fun. But I have a question. My colony died because I ran out of algee, so just wondering here. If I dig far enough to either left or right, will I find algee heavy areas again, or does the areas around me just increase in "diffculty"? With that I mean, only less resources and such? Does algee and coal only exist around the initial base position? I didn't get too far when I tried now because my colony was in a constant state of panic :)
Hatches eat almost everyting and shit coal. Pufts shit slime. Aglae distilizer could process slime to aglae. Solutions so far for power.
1. Get natural gas geyser or boil oil to get natural gas and run a natural gas generator.
2. Get several ranches of 8 hatches - 8 hatches can easily run a single coal generator.
3. Use electrolyzers as they produce hydrogen as a byproduct and hydrogen generator could compensate for power used.
4. Use slickster farm to supplement oil income. And molten slickster breed can produce petroleum right from CO2.
5. Use automation and smart batteries to reduce power loss. Smart batteries shutoff generators when they are full so power is not wasted. It can save about 70% of coal used.
Solutions for oxygen:
1. Aglae terrariums are not that bad and if you strap light they are 10% more effective.
2. Electrolyzers are the only stable source of oxygen production, unless you are running raches of pufts.
3. Get aglae from pufts. Pufts eat polluted oxygen, morbs ecrete PO2 and spawn from full toilets after some time(but only once, unless you "restart" the toilet). Common way is to build a morb ranch under puft ranch so PO2 would be instantly consumed by pufts. Then distill aglae from slime

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice tips, but sounds pretty advanced. I'm still in the stone age :)

But, going for smart generators. Pretty close to that on research. Sounds really good.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Didn't think it was possible, but I have run out of dirt. What to do?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
RocketryTesting.gif.0a0671c3810bf3af364c15a58c0cc06b.gif

Rocketry update

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
ECWC7sA.jpg

There you can see extremely complicated stuff, that kinda happened on blind playtrough.

Also in previous attempt I found when people are shitting, they are not building. Because there was thermal stuff nearby and I noticed too late, thus no food.

BTW that green pump is still used, and would remain important for a while.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Now most dangerous thing is the stress, it can kill new colonies way way faster than heat. Do not promote dupes until you have basic morale boosting stuff working. Great Hall room is a must as it provides vital +6 to morale.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Rocketry Update is out

Time for the Duplicant Space Program to conquer space. Or fill it with vomit and piss until everything dies.

Rocketry Upgrade

Since breaking through the surface of the asteroid our Duplicants have developed a curiosity for the endless cosmos that exists outside their little space rock. That’s right, the Duplicants have begun developing their very own space program!

They’re now able to build massive rockets, train as astronauts, and journey on missions into space to bring back the resources they find.

A big thanks to everyone who participated in the testing branch. You’re helping to make the game better and we always appreciate that effort.

What’s New in the Rocketry Upgrade?

Key Features:
  • Rockets: Several new “Rocket Module” buildings for spacecraft construction.
    • Command Module
    • Petroleum Rocket Engine
    • Liquid Fuel Tank
    • Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Biological cargo containers
  • New buildings to support rocket-related research and development
    • Research Telescope
    • Space Cadet Centrifuge
    • Oxylite Refinery
  • A new UI screen for interacting with your fleet of rockets and their missions
    • Five mission destinations
  • A new critter and plant which can be brought back from space
    • Gassy Moo
    • Gas Grass
  • Several new Codex entries to unlock over multiple playthroughs
  • New elements which affect Steel and Natural Gas production
    • Sour Gas
    • Fossil
    • Sulfur
  • Buildings for gas bottling and emptying
    • Canister Filler
    • Canister Emptier
  • Buildings for storing gases and liquids
    • Liquid Reservoir
    • Gas Reservoir
  • A couple new settings for custom games
    • Hunger rate setting
    • Morale stress setting
    • The "No Sweat" game mode preset has been added to help tailor your experience to your preferred playstyle.
What's Next?

We feel the rocketry upgrade content has opened the door to further space industry related content. We’re looking forward to expanding that stage of the game further. We intend to expand the space industry content and systems in the next update.

We’re also getting close to completing the pre-launch features we planned in last year’s roadmap. We feel it’s approaching time to shift our focus to polish, usability, and content backfill. There is plenty of work to be done in those categories.

You can read more about that in the announcement we're going to share later today.

For more info, head over to the official forums: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/95248-rocketry-upgrade-now-available-284571/

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Wouldn't liquid reservoir make stuff too easy? Before that you needed to make walls to make reservoir.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Hello, everyone!

With the release of Rocketry Upgrade we're getting close to the end of the roadmap we shared last August, so it's time for us to step back and assess where we are and where Oxygen Not Included is going from here.

Oxygen Not Included is a game built on intertwined systems. Since Pre-Alpha we've been introducing systems and weaved them together to create a simulation that provides players with dynamic challenges to the survival of their colony, as well as the tools they need to exploit those systems to improve the Duplicants' lives.

Throughout this process we've added a ton of new content, tweaked and added to the simulation, and created new systems. There's still a lot of room for new and interesting content within these existing systems. In addition, the balance of the game has often shifted as new features were added, and we now need to stabilize that balance.

After the next Upgrade, we'll be changing gears and going back over the whole game to focus on polish, performance, balance and missing content. In addition to solving technical issues, we want to make sure that the beginning of the game is approachable and fair for new players, and that the situations a colony encounters have enough variety that each playthrough feels fresh.

We're going to add another batch of space industry content in the October 18th upgrade. From there we'll begin releasing updates on an 8-week cycle, with an open testing branch 3 weeks before each release. This is similar to how it is now, but at a longer pace.

Each of these updates will be focused on content, stability, and user experience improvements. They won't necessarily have a big unifying theme like they do now, but there will still be new smaller pieces of content to play with.

Does this mean the game is done?

Definitely not! This just means we're going to shift our attention to fixing issues and polishing up the experience. When Oxygen Not Included officially launches, it will be a complete and accessible journey that anyone interested can play and enjoy, and we have a fair bit more work to do before we feel that we are there. We’re also scheduling a new feature and content update for that launch to mark the occasion.

We're extremely grateful to all of you for your feedback and encouragement so far!

Oxygen Not Included is a complex game, and we appreciate that we can grow the game with the help of our community. We read your feedback every day and try to bear in mind the diverse play styles and experiences everyone has as we're designing this game.

So for everyone who has already joined us on this journey, and those who haven't joined yet, an enormous “Thank You!” from the whole team!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Industry update
Content:

• New rocket modules:
    • Steam Engine
    • Hydrogen Engine
    • Oxidizer Tank
    • Research Module
    • Sight-Seeing Module
    • Solid Boosters
  • Added automation to the Command Module, and Space Scanners can be used to monitor incoming rockets.
  • Space research: produce Interstellar Research points and unlock space materials
    • Telescopes now produces Data Discs, which can be processed at Virtual Planetariums
    • New space materials: Niobium, Isoresin, and Fullerene
  • Supermaterial Refinery
    • New composites: Supercoolant, Superconductor, Superinsulator, and Visco Gel
  • Jet Suits and Jet Suit infrastructure
  • Robo-Miner building
  • New critter: The Shove Vole
  • Neural Vacillator art update and recharging pods
Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!

Also, abyssalite is no longer a construction material.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
> Also, abyssalite is no longer a construction material.

Ooof, my pipes.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Steam engine? How is that different from hydrogen engines? Unless that is a nuclear salt-water rocket :bounce:

Speaking of which they should add nuclear tech at some point. We need more ways to trigger heat production excess induced base die-off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom