Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Pandora to begin beta testing

Gondolin

Arcane
I got the Slitherine newsletter in my inbox and, for unknown reasons, I decided to actually look through it before hitting the delete button. Seems that Pandora: First Contact, which is described in the newsletter as following "in the footsteps of classics like Alpha Centauri and Galactic Civilizations", is now looking for beta testers. It also looks like a Civ mod. Oh, well.

The Pandora website loads as slow as fuck. By "fuck" I mean the Slitherine website itself and all the crap it hosts. Hope the fucking screenshots load properly. Enjoy, so to speak.

game_1358361160_0.jpg

game_1358361214_0.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks like CiV. Cant say more about this. But I guess looking as Civ is kinda bad, I mean it wasnt a very good game. Also I'm tired of CiV clones which are even worse than CiV. Cant they bother to introduce some originality. Oh wait, they axed hexes. Yay.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What idiot would hotlink directly to screenshots when he can put them on tinypic, or imgur.

He's referring to CiV, or civ 5 if you wish. For whatever reason, it's what all these shit developers try to copy. Why won't anyone try to make a CIV clone?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Then don't complain about slow speed of that website, you are one of culprits.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you think they didn't linked them on 4chan? That's one page load, one image download.

Marsal

Arcane
He's referring to CiV, or civ 5 if you wish. For whatever reason, it's what all these shit developers try to copy. Why won't anyone try to make a CIV clone?
Well, it does have squares and looks like Civ 4, so it's a step in right direction? :troll:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Rant about Civ5&Civ4:
People need to shut the fuck up about Civ 5 being shit already. Have you played since G&K and all the updates? It's pretty good now, and some of the things(social policies, religion, combat sans some dumb AI choices, music) it does way better than Civ 4 ever did. Do you even remember the release of Civ 4? It was bugged as shit and couldn't even run on most ATI cards for months. The only reason people gave it a pass was because Civ3 was kind of shit(compared to 1&2). Civ 4 didn't become a great game until BTS and a fuckton of patches, and even then needed mods to help its terrible AI. Basically all combat revolved around an era rush with a SoD or two. And the much boo hooed aspect of religion was mainly a static diplomacy modifier which turned everything in the game into a holy war. I love Civ4, but jesus christ, it had its share of craptastic designs and problems.

All that shit said, hope this game isn't garbage, I loved SMAC. Probably better off just playing that though, it ages pretty damn well.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
UI looks like amateur work, but i´m moderately interested considering how few of these games see the light of day.

Eh, I enjoyed Galactic Civs, but this seems kinda bad truth be told. More like a Civ4-5 mod if anything else.

Signed up for the beta, might as well try it some first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom