Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Paradox's Cartel: The True Syndicate Sequel?"

I love Pdox... so much.

Phelot

Arcane
I thought Paradox had a bad track record with pissing off fans or something? I have to admit that I love most of the games they put out, but I could have sworn they used to or still do cause lots of butthurt.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
zeitgeist said:
Ed123 said:
Maybe… Pizza Tycoon? Where you were supposed to be a pizza guy but ended up being more like a mob boss doing this other stuff… uh, but sometimes it made sense to actually bake some pizza?
Well, I'm sold. They shouldn't be announcing these projects until they have something more substantial to show though.
Agreed, it bothers me as well. But don't you think they have picked just about the right moment PR-wise?

The news of Syndicate remake are still kind of fresh, and not all of the reactions to it were positive. It looks like this announcement was certainly intended to be released out of the cage while the "rage" is still out there, before being overwhelmed by fatigue. One should strike while the iron's hot.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe… Pizza Tycoon? Where you were supposed to be a pizza guy but ended up being more like a mob boss doing this other stuff… uh, but sometimes it made sense to actually bake some pizza? I don’t think this analogy is working out.

Hahaha...

Well it sounds good on paper but I'm holding my fingers crossed on this one - so much can go wrong. Also, how will the gaming world look like in 2013. I don't know bro's.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
GLEEEEEEEEEE-(n1296896413573).png

Paradox is now officially my favorite developer....

Cassidy

Arcane
Paradox, the last publisher that truly treats PC gamers as its market.

This is a title I will be hopeful about. It could go wrong, sure, but at least it has some proper design goals and may innovate instead of "HERP DERP LETS MAKE ANOTHER GEARS OF WAR CLONE AND CALL IT A SEQUEL TO CLASSIC GAME X DURR HURR".

DwarvenFood said:
Also, how will the gaming world look like in 2013. I don't know bro's.

I'll make a guesswork:

Consoletards will be complaining about the decline as the already dumbed down shit will be even more dumbed down so that it can be played in tablets.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
the above said:
I thought Paradox had a bad track record with pissing off fans or something? I have to admit that I love most of the games they put out, but I could have sworn they used to or still do cause lots of butthurt.

That's Stardock. Only fan-pissing off debacle I remember from Pdox was the move from HoI2 to HoI3, since the sequal was way more in-depth and complex, which turned out to not be apppreciated by some of the HoI2 fans.

Oh yeah and the little bit more open and sandboxy feel of Clausewitz-engine games compared to the earlier iteration of games, with the game-mechanics versus scripted events thing.

The King of Comedy said:
Yeah, let's make a pseudo-sequel to a popular old game, screw original ideas!

This is the developer that let's their best modders develop their own games, and constantly listen to their fans and sopporting their games long after release. You apologize to Paradox this instant.

Kwota

Augur
I have high hopes for this game, I know it will not deliver as much as original Syndicate but nontheless... if the persuadetron is in I'm sold.

Destroid

Arcane
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
The King of Comedy said:

This is the developer that let's their best modders develop their own games, and constantly listen to their fans and sopporting their games long after release. You apologize to Paradox this instant.

It is a little unfortunate that they charge $20 for patches though.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Destroid said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
The King of Comedy said:

It is a little unfortunate that they charge $20 for patches though.
Expansions are not patches motherfucker. Apologize!

Erzherzog

Magister
Pdox expansions are of varying quality. Sometimes mere patch level.

But they did release HttT. That was the best expansion I ever fucking bought.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The King of Comedy said:
Original ideas like an FPS loosely based on an existing franchise? With bullet time, I read. Yeah, screw them.

Claw said:
The King of Comedy said:
Original ideas like an FPS loosely based on an existing franchise? With bullet time, I read. Yeah, screw them.

NAIL ON THE HEAD BRO NAIL ON THE HEAD YOU HIT IT YO

DraQ

Arcane
The King of Comedy said:
Claw said:
The King of Comedy said:

NAIL ON THE HEAD BRO NAIL ON THE HEAD YOU HIT IT YO
:hmmm:

The King of Comedy is surprisingly unamusing.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
in a market turgid with realistic first person warfare simulators being a sequel of each other every quarter why yes a spiritual sequel to syndicate is actually vastly more original considering it's the first time it'll be done in more than a decade but don't let me stop you from tripping over your slapstick wit

sgc_meltdown said:
in a market turgid with realistic first person warfare simulators being a sequel of each other every quarter why yes a spiritual sequel to syndicate is actually vastly more original considering it's the first time it'll be done in more than a decade but don't let me stop you from tripping over your slapstick wit

Sure. The Cartel will most definitely be much better than this new Syndicate or FPS-COM, but still...

Is remakes/Pseudo-sequels to old classics really what we should endorse, just on principle? Shouldn't we want to get new and original games every year, but I suppose that idea is just utopia...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I wish there would be another Syndicate.

One with special revolt missions where agents fight against rioters/insurgents and with more civilian types, including pregnant women, old people, kids and women with babies in carriages.

Anyway, one thing worth remembering that most of remakers don't have the talent of the original devs and will probably fuck something up.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
The King of Comedy said:
Shouldn't we want we want get new and original games every year, but I suppose that idea is just utopia...

fucking madness you can't build brand presence with original IPs every year learn how to think like a professional

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom