Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory - isometric RPG based on the tabletop game

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is one of those games that I might be retarded enough to try out at some point. I just have a morbid curiosity for projects that get railed way off track, and end up total messes.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
https://www.pcgamer.com/four-years-...paranoia-happiness-is-mandatory-has-returned/

And now it's back, just as mysteriously. Paranoia is available on Epic again, where it was exclusively released in December of 2019, and on Steam, which it's never been available on before. There's no press release accompanying this, and no explanation on the official Facebook or Twitter account, neither of which has been updated for years. It's just here, as suddenly as it was taken away.

Court documents eventually offered an explanation for why Paranoia vanished. Two of the creators of the original tabletop RPG the videogame was based on had issued a DMCA takedown, which was possible because release delays had meant it didn't come out until after the licence had lapsed. Their reason for taking this drastic measure was that they'd been shown a pre-release version and found, even after being delayed, it still suffered from so many bugs and "inconsistent/poor user experience issues" that they considered it "a product significantly below commercial standards" that, if released, "would tarnish the [Paranoia] brand."

The ensuing court case is over. As of June, a settlement was reached and an order of discontinuance filed. Whatever deal was struck, presumably its terms included Paranoia's eventual release. It seems to be the exact same version too, with all the same problems. One of the early Steam reviews notes, "Settings menu offers only 2 low resolutions. If you keep any dropdown open in the settings you will be unable to leave the page. One of the player character animations failed to start along with the robot it needed to sync up with. This was all before I had gotten out of the tutorial."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom