Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Path of Exile II - crossplay cross platform progression couch co-op confirmed

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If your sources are youtube ragebaits, sure... That wasn't even the point. Blizzard has been using it for 10+ years in D3 and WoW, yet you are arguing like they pulled the retarded rabbit out of the hat specially for D4. It wasn't even a topic until Kripp drama queened the shit out of it.

True, the tech is used differently in PoE but I didn't imply otherwise. Pay attention to the words used sometimes before arguing.

el oh el D3 and WoW are terrible and level scaling in them is also terrible, nobody is saying it's something new with D4. How are you 13 years on the Codex and can say with a straight face level scaling hate is a new thing. :retarded:

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
You say the slightest negative thing about GGG and the same bunch of bog creatures crawl forth to cry autistically and shitrate you every single time. Curious.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Seriously? I posted something, you asked for "citation", I gave the source and you started arguing as you usually do whenever a hint of a shade is thrown towards GGG.
What you posted wasn't a citation for your claim at all, it was a defunct manifesto by Chris, reposted by a rando. Your claim was about Jon. Jon is nowhere to be found in that "receipt" of yours. If I'm so bad at perceiving your intentions, then why not clarify them?
If your sources are youtube ragebaits
Nigger, it's fucking everywhere. It's even in the D4 thread on this forum. Are you magically connected to some hivemind of blizzslop slurpers who are all in love with the level scaling? Just because something is less offensive in a shit game like WoW or D3, doesn't mean it's a good mechanic for the player. The way it was used in D4 is to help out the inexperienced developers ship a barren game right before the Microsoft acquisition.

abija

Prophet
What you posted wasn't a citation for your claim at all, it was a defunct manifesto by Chris, reposted by a rando. Your claim was about Jon. Jon is nowhere to be found in that "receipt" of yours. If I'm so bad at perceiving your intentions, then why not clarify them?
He is the cofounder along Chris and the initial programmer (then tehnical director when team grew). He's the one that made tehnical decisions. What is there to clarify?

tritosine2k

Erudite
If they give some Piety and Shavronne style ball lightning back as gem effect im willing to give this a go. Did I just say the new boss designs are dodgy..?

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
He's the one that made tehnical decisions.
That's conjecture. Besides, the decision of whether to run the simulation on the servers or not isn't a technical one in this case, but a philosophical one. "Do we let people have easy access to cheats and a smoother gameplay feeling OR do we put the integrity of the economy above the smoothness of the gameplay?" was the question, it wasn't "Hey Jon, you're the tech lead! Make us the best netcode pls, kthxbye!". You implied that Jon was holding PoE1 back somehow for years, just because he's stubborn or some shit, when in reality it was most likely a unanimous decision of all 3 co-founders to do it this way.

abija

Prophet
You understood nothing.

"Do we let people have easy access to cheats and a smoother gameplay feeling OR do we put the integrity of the economy above the smoothness of the gameplay?" - this wasn't ever up for discussion, integrity first and nobody had an issue with it

The decision was between using that restriction with predictive simulation or lockstep. And yes they were absolutely stubborn and insisted on their bad choice even arguing what is used now as lockstep wouldn't work with arpgs, despite that being a hot topic and having tons of user feedback before they even opened buying acces to beta.

Me blaming him is normal. You on the other hand are implying Chris is an absolute donkey that forced his will over what both his technical director and userbase were asking.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Look none of us are netcode engineers and all we can go by is what people that code this shit are saying. Your recollection of events in somewhat wrong. As I understood it at the time these talks were happening predictive is the more advanced method of doing it and to implement lockstep needed a lot of work and in the end they did it, so it's factually wrong to claim they were stubborn as it was daunting task. Lockstep is still terrible sometimes same with predictive, one has rubberbanding the other gamebreaking input lag. In the end if the servers or your connection are spazzing out no method will make a difference, just reality of online games.

tritosine2k

Erudite
If they give some Piety and Shavronne style ball lightning back as gem effect im willing to give this a go. Did I just say the new boss designs are dodgy..?

...not that you need alternate artwork when the build doesn't even work with doryani prototype but hey. Archnemesis is straight up steaming turd boss design vs P&S of old also from what I saw PoE2 is archnemesis tier...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
WASD + xbows + (potentially)Deadeye Ascendancy has me hyped for PoE2 for the first time.
Where do you get WASD from? From that recent video, or did they actually confirm this?

Because if it's just the video, I'd think it's more likely to be a channeled skill that has you walking backwards from direction of fire.

(it _would_ be pretty cool tho)

WASD movement is a massive win

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
They aren't learning animals, they've kept making the same mistake over and over for the past how many years, I have 0 expectations for this game except that it will better than Diablo 4, which isn't much of an achievement.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Looking at the dumb dodge rolls really hurts my ass
Why not dashing, instead of rolling on the floor where there are all sorts of hazardous things

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/r/PathOfExile2/comments/18jk2us/comment/kdnskwc/

There will certainly be crafting in PoE2, and for the crafting bench specifically, we are not actually removing it, just changing how it works to deal with some of the problems it has. (Not announced yet).

In fact, I have a specific goal that people do more crafting than they currently do. In PoE1 non-bench crafting is not something normal players often do. The design changes we already mentioned to some of the currency items go a long way to addressing this.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
read: there will be even more currency!
More currency won't make people craft more. The problem right now is that worthwhile crafting requires a phd in pathonomics, without that you're waaay better off just buying stuff.
The crafting bench "works" because it lets you see all the possible mods and what items they can go on. Ofc most of the time you just use it to slap down hp or res, but at least it's something.

ArchAngel

Arcane
read: there will be even more currency!
More currency won't make people craft more. The problem right now is that worthwhile crafting requires a phd in pathonomics, without that you're waaay better off just buying stuff.
The crafting bench "works" because it lets you see all the possible mods and what items they can go on. Ofc most of the time you just use it to slap down hp or res, but at least it's something.
New chaos orb already seems like an improvement and removing sockets from items themselves is also great for crafting.
You can have random drops with few decent stats, drop a chaos on it to maybe get lucky and slap it on your character. No need to roll sockets and colors.

ArchAngel

Arcane
New chaos orb
chaos orb mk2. not to be confused with cthulu, tainted, veiled, whatever bullshit chaos orb
Those other chaos orbs were always bullshit as they were too rare to be useful.
Also the made Exalted not worth much but they still dropped rarely and I still never used them..
If new Chaos Orbs in PoE2 will be rare, they will still be only used for trading. Either they drop as often as fusings in PoE1 or your can forget about it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Scully, you're not gonna believe this
https://www.reddit.com/r/PathOfExile2/comments/18kfsu2/comment/kdv47rp/So
So something you can do in PoE2 is pause the game (if you are playing by yourself), and the currently highlighted monster will remain highlighted so you can read the mods.
You can also mouse over the buffs/debuffs on yourself and enemies to look at what they do while paused.
I'll have a think about your suggestion. I don't think I quite like it as described, but I get the issue. I'll ask our UX guy if he can think of an improvement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom