Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Path of Exile II - crossplay cross platform progression couch co-op confirmed

ArchAngel

Arcane
Not quite liking that crossbow gameplay. Classes seem a bit more specialized than PoE1 in this one. Wonder if it'll be possible to play a melee mercenary.
All the skills shown have been base crossbow or bolts or attachments. I am afraid that classes will mean nothing and it will all be around items and skills. And since PoE2 will be less about a build and more about player skills that will make classes even less important than in PoE1.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Whenever they show PoE 2 content, I am always disappointed on how slow the game feels. Maybe this is deliberate, so we can properly see the skills or they are showing low-level content but it seems a bit boring to play. Of course, it is also possible that the years of playing a flicker strike build have rotted my brain and now everything else seems slow in comparison.

That being said, today was better than usual, the mercenary did have decent kill speed for once. I am not sure I like the idea of magical crossbow that behave like shotguns or assault rifles, as it seems a bit difficult to imagine. Using WASD for movement is a great idea, though, Path of Exile made correct positioning more imporant over the years but the mouse movement was never really precise enough for it. I wish they would add this option to Path of Exile 1 as well.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Whenever they show PoE 2 content, I am always disappointed on how slow the game feels. Maybe this is deliberate, so we can properly see the skills or they are showing low-level content but it seems a bit boring to play. Of course, it is also possible that the years of playing a flicker strike build have rotted my brain and now everything else seems slow in comparison.

That being said, today was better than usual, the mercenary did have decent kill speed for once. I am not sure I like the idea of magical crossbow that behave like shotguns or assault rifles, as it seems a bit difficult to imagine. Using WASD for movement is a great idea, though, Path of Exile made correct positioning more imporant over the years but the mouse movement was never really precise enough for it. I wish they would add this option to Path of Exile 1 as well.
PoE1 will still exist for fast gameplay, I welcome slow PoE2.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also they won't be able to demonstrate the new skills on a build that has nice gear and kill lots in seconds. I'm pretty sure that our gameplay will be faster if we got decent enough gear and passives.

ADL

Prophet
Endgame will certainly be faster but I'm hoping it's only +15-30% TTK and not some zoom zoom eye cancer bullshit. That's the entire point of Path of Exile 1 being maintained for the foreseeable future and no matter how long Path of Exile 2 exists, I don't want to see it approaching anywhere near the speeds we see in the original.

They said we'll see endgame closer to beta. Fingers crossed but I really like the new game director. He doesn't seem to be afraid of PoE1's audience.

abija

Prophet
The "new game director" is the guy that was refusing to implement standard netcode for PoE1.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
The slow nature of movement in PoE2 might not be an issue after all, as long as the combat feels good - and more importantly - as long as you can scale the living shit out of your character in a timely enough manner. One thing is for sure: it's gonna be fun to slog through the campaign at least once. It's free anyway.

abija

Prophet
@ "citation needed"
He is the cofounder and guy that coded most of early PoE1. This post describes their original networking (predictive option in settings now): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/710359. You can find in that text the main issue. It took them really long and many threads from the community to revise their stance on the bolded part (which has been eventually implemented as lockstep and most people use).

Wait until data arrives back from the server before doing anything. This is a very common strategy in RTS and MOBA games. If you click to move, the unit will only start moving once the server says so, which is 50-250ms later. If you are close to the server, you'll quickly get used to the lag and everything feels pretty good. If you're far away (New Zealand, for example), it feels like you're playing drunk. Every time you issue an order, nothing happens for quarter of a second. This does not work for Action RPGs.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I know what lockstep and predictive are. Predictive still feels substantially smoother to play on fast builds and lockstep is choppier, but more precise. You actually still get desync on lockstep, if your connection is unstable enough.

You've linked a post by some rando who copy-pasted a no longer available manifesto posted by Chris. The post was from 10 years ago, the manifesto from even longer. If anything it shows that they are willing to change their mind. Chris isn't the game director for PoE2 either, nor does he have a say in how both games are being coded.

abija

Prophet
So you are still on retard mode arguing everything that you percieve against GGG?

"Chris isn't the game director for PoE2 either" - right, Jonathan Rogers is.
"nor does he have a say in how both games are being coded" - right, Jonathan did for PoE1 (at least until he was moved as director on PoE2)
"If anything it shows that they are willing to change their mind." - it shows he chose a non standard implementation and stuck with it 4+ years while arguing it's the best and what people were asking for doesn't work for arpg games. You can easy find the tons of qq about it on their forums and reddit. This example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRGNIgjMEHA (walking towards a room and ending up inside it) was extremely common. They even added /oos commands to manually force sync when people knew they were in a situation where they usually get desynced.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Your statement that they refused to implement standard netcode is untrue. Lockstep is not even close to been standard, especially for ARPGs at that time. I'm pretty sure prediction netcode is more secure and harder to implement and some developer I read somewhere commenting was impressed that PoE was using it at the time when they were 30ish people studio.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
years while arguing it's the best and what people were asking for doesn't work for arpg games.
it DOESN'T work for ARPGs under the conditions specified in that old, now defunct manifesto. Try playing on lockstep with oscillating 50-250ms ping.

Aren't you that nigga who keeps defending level scaling - a non-standard feature for an ARPG that everybody hates - in the D4 thread?

Peachcurl

Cipher
WASD + xbows + (potentially)Deadeye Ascendancy has me hyped for PoE2 for the first time.
Where do you get WASD from? From that recent video, or did they actually confirm this?

Because if it's just the video, I'd think it's more likely to be a channeled skill that has you walking backwards from direction of fire.

(it _would_ be pretty cool tho)

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
WASD + xbows + (potentially)Deadeye Ascendancy has me hyped for PoE2 for the first time.
Where do you get WASD from? From that recent video, or did they actually confirm this?

Because if it's just the video, I'd think it's more likely to be a channeled skill that has you walking backwards from direction of fire.
They talked about it extensively in the q&a segment with Ziggy Fukken D. It's confirmed and you'll be able to use some skills while moving. You'll also be able to swap between click to move and WASD on the fly. I'm not a fan of twin stick shooters, but I played a lot of Dave the Diver recently and it just feel so natural to move that way.

abija

Prophet
Your statement that they refused to implement standard netcode is untrue. Lockstep is not even close to been standard, especially for ARPGs at that time. I'm pretty sure prediction netcode is more secure and harder to implement and some developer I read somewhere commenting was impressed that PoE was using it at the time when they were 30ish people studio.
Except the "minor" detail that the simulation ran on server was fully authoritative. If you take into account that detail, thier implementation was absolutely NOT standard. That's the reason no other game had desync like that. And they sticked to their guns for many years. Yes, what they did was much harder to implement, but that's absolutely irrelevant.

Kjaska said:
it DOESN'T work for ARPGs under the conditions specified in that old, now defunct manifesto. Try playing on lockstep with oscillating 50-250ms ping.
Oscillating 50-250ms ping is massive packet loss. Predictive doesn't work either. Nothing does and designing your game for that is insane.
PoE devs aren't actually insane, they didn't design the game for the absurdity you mention. They just wanted to have the cake (client side latency) and eat it too (fully authoritative server).

Aren't you that nigga who keeps defending level scaling - a non-standard feature for an ARPG that everybody hates - in the D4 thread?
D3 has been fully level scaled since expansion. Grim Dawn also level scales. Most of the content you run in PoE is based on level scaling tech.
Then there's the part where they wanted to go open world with D4 and have a non linear campaign, so level scaling was an even more obvious choice.

ADL

Prophet

(it _would_ be pretty cool tho)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Most of the content you run in PoE is based on level scaling tech.
Correct. You can choose which level you want to scale to via the map system, but it's the same pool of mobs the whole way through, they just get more hp and damage.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yes, what they did was much harder to implement, but that's absolutely irrelevant.
What you're arguing about is absolutely irrelevant for this thread.
Then there's the part where they wanted to go open world with D4 and have a non linear campaign, so level scaling was an even more obvious choice.
So obvious, that it was the most hated feature of the entire game. There is no such scaling in PoE. You get your shit pushed in, if you try content that is 10+ levels above your level and monsters don't magically get more stats because you level up.

abija

Prophet
What you're arguing about is absolutely irrelevant for this thread.
Seriously? I posted something, you asked for "citation", I gave the source and you started arguing as you usually do whenever a hint of a shade is thrown towards GGG.

So obvious, that it was the most hated feature of the entire game. There is no such scaling in PoE. You get your shit pushed in, if you try content that is 10+ levels above your level and monsters don't magically get more stats because you level up.
If your sources are youtube ragebaits, sure... That wasn't even the point. Blizzard has been using it for 10+ years in D3 and WoW, yet you are arguing like they pulled the retarded rabbit out of the hat specially for D4. It wasn't even a topic until Kripp drama queened the shit out of it.

True, the tech is used differently in PoE but I didn't imply otherwise. Pay attention to the words used sometimes before arguing.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Whenever they show PoE 2 content, I am always disappointed on how slow the game feels.

I am the opposite, I prefer slower methodical gameplay like old dungeon crawlers like Diablo. PoE1 is too spastic with 7 nuclear explosions on the screen

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
WASD movement seems like incline, the inability to properly move and target at the same time has annoyed me for a long time in poe. Together with the dodge, it suggests the game will be way more twitchy now as opposed to mostly a numbers game.

It's a skill based game now, GGG wanted to go Lost Ark a little

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom