Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm actually thinking about lightning warp traps, since the reduced duration gem now has a more damage multiplier. Lightning warp cluster trap ion cannon!

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It has one on the alpha servers.

joVIwyE.png

Last edited:

Padre

Liturgist
I've watched a stream last night and here are some of my thoughts.

The new keystone - Elemental something - is very powerful. It gives you 40% more elemental damage after you've scored a cirt but at the same time it resets your crit multiplier. I've seen it being procced by the new lightning gem which fires very rapidly. There is a chart on reddit showing how much crit chance and crit multi you need for it to being worse than a straight crit build.

I was planning to do a HC char but after seeing fight with Izaro I have some doubts. I saw Ziggy murder Dominus and then get wrecked by Izaro who reminds me of Voll on steroids. He has some melee attacks, a really powerful charge and some kind of bombardment which deals a lot of damage. It's good that he summons trash for flask charges though.

Someone during the beta wrote on chat that he used the Chieftain's totem retaliation passive and Merveil murdered herself - might be a good idea to make a shockwave totem with pull gloves and a lot of totem life passives. If this doesn't get nerfed that is.

The traps in the labyrinth do really high amounts of physical and bleed damage. Fire floor does too. A mobility skill is a must imo. And I mean a real mobility skill, not lightning warp which I think is still bugged.

Chris said that there will be a few QOL improvements. /remaining command now shows up to 50 mobs left. The map mods don't collide with quest text anymore. There are some new map mods like 'you deal less cri damage'.

Wanted to make a Hierophant because of extra totems but the 10% less damage for every totem alive would really hurt me. With totem keystone we are looking at 4 totems. Which means they all do 60% damage. Nets me a total of 240% damage, instead of 200% without this ascendancy class.

After what I saw, I'm pretty scared of going HC. But oh well, show must go on.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I've watched a stream last night and here are some of my thoughts.

The new keystone - Elemental something - is very powerful. It gives you 40% more elemental damage after you've scored a cirt but at the same time it resets your crit multiplier. I've seen it being procced by the new lightning gem which fires very rapidly. There is a chart on reddit showing how much crit chance and crit multi you need for it to being worse than a straight crit build.

I was planning to do a HC char but after seeing fight with Izaro I have some doubts. I saw Ziggy murder Dominus and then get wrecked by Izaro who reminds me of Voll on steroids. He has some melee attacks, a really powerful charge and some kind of bombardment which deals a lot of damage. It's good that he summons trash for flask charges though.

Someone during the beta wrote on chat that he used the Chieftain's totem retaliation passive and Merveil murdered herself - might be a good idea to make a shockwave totem with pull gloves and a lot of totem life passives. If this doesn't get nerfed that is.

The traps in the labyrinth do really high amounts of physical and bleed damage. Fire floor does too. A mobility skill is a must imo. And I mean a real mobility skill, not lightning warp which I think is still bugged.

Chris said that there will be a few QOL improvements. /remaining command now shows up to 50 mobs left. The map mods don't collide with quest text anymore. There are some new map mods like 'you deal less cri damage'.

Wanted to make a Hierophant because of extra totems but the 10% less damage for every totem alive would really hurt me. With totem keystone we are looking at 4 totems. Which means they all do 60% damage. Nets me a total of 240% damage, instead of 200% without this ascendancy class.

After what I saw, I'm pretty scared of going HC. But oh well, show must go on.
But then again, its 40% increased damage, and more aoe since you can put down 4 totems now. And with the two small nodes of 20% increased totem spawn rate, you will put totems down really quickly.

And not like there is any other ascendancy for Templar that has anything that would work well with totems.

My plan is to have 3 Flame totems converted to Chaos totems, and one Wither spell totem. Sure, I will only get 180% damage instead of 200%, but I get the increased damage from wither, more aoe, slow from wither. Or maybe a decoy totem if the Wither one is not that awesome.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Yeah, I watched a bit of Kripp's stream and cruel Izaro almost oneshot his overleveled(65-70 I think) character, but it's still HC or bust in PoE!

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I'm actually fine with the labyrinth being really goddamn hard, there has been very little that actually had a chance of killing you anymore in HC since it was almost exclusively your own carelessness that killed you. You didn't die because the content was hard, you died because the content was too easy and you dropped your guard and stood in a bunch of bearers (which was like what, 50% of the deaths of ppl at 90+?). Having an area (that is entirely optional once you went through it once) that has a significant increase in difficulty is totally fine in my opinion. Kill Normal/Cruel while overleveled, have someone clear the merc one for a couple of chaos and you're golden, no reason to ever walk into the labyrinth again unless you like the challenge. People that clear it regularly are rewarded by being able to sell the mods on the gloves/boots/helmets for an increased price, which is what I personally really like. Being able to handle harder content compared to others should give you an economic advantage in games like these.

Padre

Liturgist
But then again, its 40% increased damage, and more aoe since you can put down 4 totems now. And with the two small nodes of 20% increased totem spawn rate, you will put totems down really quickly.

And not like there is any other ascendancy for Templar that has anything that would work well with totems.

My plan is to have 3 Flame totems converted to Chaos totems, and one Wither spell totem. Sure, I will only get 180% damage instead of 200%, but I get the increased damage from wither, more aoe, slow from wither. Or maybe a decoy totem if the Wither one is not that awesome.

That would work for sure. I wanted to get a fire>chaos conversion myself. But let's be realistic. At the start of the league you will not be able to do that.

Now that I've researched some more, I'm more inclined to go Chieftain. You still get a shitton of HP thanks to Marauder starting position, BM keystone is just a few nodes away and Tukohama, War's Herald spec is just sooooo good. Only question I have is - does this fire retaliation damage scales from your +spell, +fire nodes? I guess we will find out. Imagine even 2 Flame Totems with taunt and reflect. I don't mind losing 40% of damage with the Hierophant tree. My problem using flame totems were always hard hitting, fast moving mobs. Especially bosses. 2 or 4 totems doesn't make much of a difference here. Besides, I can always use Searing Bond totem as a +1. Every little bit helps.

edit:
What about Scion?
Just read her description. She can allocate both Chieftain and Hierophant right? According to the wiki: The Ascendant can either take two Ascendancy Class passives or further invest onto one class's path to gain a second starting point in the Skill Tree of that class.

Sooooo, if ew take both of them we get:
  • 15% chance to Ignite
  • 30% increased Damage while you have a Totem
  • Gain 15% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage if you've Killed Recently
  • Regenerate 2% of Maximum Life per second while you have a Totem
  • 25% increased Maximum Mana
  • Gain 8% of Maximum Mana as Extra Maximum Energy Shield
  • Skills in your Helm can have up to 1 additional Totem summoned at a time
  • 20% chance to gain a Power Charge when you place a Totem

That's the combined benefit of 2 classes. Dunno what the skill in totem means. Would require me to socket my helm with Flame Totem yes? Which would basically require Geofri's Crest so I wouldn't gimp myself.

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane

That would work for sure. I wanted to get a fire>chaos conversion myself. But let's be realistic. At the start of the league you will not be able to do that.

Now that I've researched some more, I'm more inclined to go Chieftain. You still get a shitton of HP thanks to Marauder starting position, BM keystone is just a few nodes away and Tukohama, War's Herald spec is just sooooo good. Only question I have is - does this fire retaliation damage scales from your +spell, +fire nodes? I guess we will find out. Imagine even 2 Flame Totems with taunt and reflect. I don't mind losing 40% of damage with the Hierophant tree. My problem using flame totems were always hard hitting, fast moving mobs. Especially bosses. 2 or 4 totems doesn't make much of a difference here. Besides, I can always use Searing Bond totem as a +1. Every little bit helps.

edit:
What about Scion?
Just read her description. She can allocate both Chieftain and Hierophant right? According to the wiki: The Ascendant can either take two Ascendancy Class passives or further invest onto one class's path to gain a second starting point in the Skill Tree of that class.

Sooooo, if ew take both of them we get:
  • 15% chance to Ignite
  • 30% increased Damage while you have a Totem
  • Gain 15% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage if you've Killed Recently
  • Regenerate 2% of Maximum Life per second while you have a Totem
  • 25% increased Maximum Mana
  • Gain 8% of Maximum Mana as Extra Maximum Energy Shield
  • Skills in your Helm can have up to 1 additional Totem summoned at a time
  • 20% chance to gain a Power Charge when you place a Totem

That's the combined benefit of 2 classes. Dunno what the skill in totem means. Would require me to socket my helm with Flame Totem yes? Which would basically require Geofri's Crest so I wouldn't gimp myself.
Yes, the thing about totems in helmet from this ascendancy is if you put flame totem gem in helmet then you can get two flame totems without Ancestral Bond.

Padre

Liturgist
And no loss in damage when using Scion. You get 300% damage but must sacrifice your 6 link for a 4 link.

Somebody on reddit will surely do the math. I wonder if it's better than 200% 6 link. Probably not.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Apparently the new minefield gem works with multi/cluster trap, with multitrap that results in 9 traps being simultaneously thrown, cluster trap would be up to 15. Some crazy stuff should be possible depending on how the mines are actually throwing the traps. If the trap is the source of the damage the less mine damage modifier gets ignored too, which is great since you can safely use tremor rod/minefield without losing any damage.

Looks like I'll be playing a trapper with Lightningwarp+Trap+Trap/Minedmg+Less Duration in a 4L Tremor Rod with Sunblast, once I get more links I can add whatever other %more multiplier makes the most sense. Not sure what ascendancy to use though, saboteur doesn't seem too amazing just for +1 traps and some dmg/aoe, I generally like playing witches... Trickster might also be cool if the LW Cluster Minefield still counts as a movement skill and therefore costs no mana, trappers/miners generally have insane mana requirements.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Yes, Emmitt has been doing these for years. Incredible how quickly he managed to put it up, the JSON data only became available a couple of hours ago.

T. Reich

Arcane
Is the downloadable tree on reddit safe? not sure if i want to run the exe.

https://github.com/EmmittJ/PoESkillTree/releases/tag/2.2.4

Dude, don't be a dummy and check this guy's release history. He's been releasing the poe offline skill tree planner since at least 2.0.0, and I've been using this planner since at least 1.2.0.

Also, you guys are missing the good usage of Hierophant's +2 totem keystone - you can still selfcast with it. I dunno what weirdo build would even want 4 totems out in the first place. Just pick Hierophant, get your 3 totems for a total of 2.1x combined damage if all are out, and STILL be able to selfcast evil shit at full damage.

T. Reich

Arcane
The new Perandus league sneak peak fills me with hope - hope that it would be nothing special and therefore skippable.:M
I feel like I'd really rather focus my spare time elsewhere this time around, without the pressures of the temp league shenanigans.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Btw, for those who do not follow reddit on a daily basis. You can respec from your ascendancy class choice. Just remove all the ascendancy passives you have allocated and run the labirynth again, you will then be able to choose another ascendancy class.

Aothan

Magister
since I've never designed a totem character, and don't really expect to, I wonder is it possible to cast Rejuvenation and Devouring ? I could use the former for the newly augmented Energy Shield from maximum mana, and Devouring for Life and Mana, for that matter s it possible to cast two (or more) totems of these types ?

either way I want to start with Divine Guidance (40% damage to mana), Sanctuary of Thought and Illuminated Devotion

Zdzisiu

Arcane
since I've never designed a totem character, and don't really expect to, I wonder is it possible to cast Rejuvenation and Devouring ? I could use the former for the newly augmented Energy Shield from maximum mana, and Devouring for Life and Mana, for that matter s it possible to cast two (or more) totems of these types ?

either way I want to start with Divine Guidance (40% damage to mana), Sanctuary of Thought and Illuminated Devotion
Normally you can have only one totem placed at any time. There are ways to have more:
Key passive Ancestral Bond allows you to have two totems placed, but you wont deal any damage yourself
Chest armour soul mantle allows you +1 totem active at the same time, so 2 normally, 3 with Ancestral Bond passive.
The Ascendancy class of templa, Hierophant has a passive that allows you to have +2 totems active at the same time. So 3 normally, 4 with Ancestral Bond, 5 with Ancestral Bond and soul mantle.

The totems can be of the same type, or different type, does not matter as long as there is no more active totems at the same time as your limit.

Padre

Liturgist
Forgot about searing bond which always counts as a +1. In total you can have 6 totems up with the right setup. It will be glorious

Wysłane z mojego SM-G925F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Aothan

Magister
I see, for whatever reason I had always presumed there were limitations to Rejuvenation and Devouring types, utilising life and mana in conjunction with the additional benefits of the Heirophant's damage transference to mana, and mana to energy shield, is going to compel me to stack Intelligence, moreso than usual that is with my Armour and Energy shield playstyles

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Apparently they added Treasure Chests to the final room of the labyrinth, depending on how much you explore in the labyrinth and the difficulty of the boss fights you get a bunch of keys to open these. They seem to function like strongboxes, some have currency, some have loot. Increasing the difficulty of the final boss fight (by ignoring some of the mechanics of the first two fights so they transfer to the final one) nets you more keys for these chests, which is really neat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom