Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
You are either trolling or have absolutely no idea how to design a viable build in PoE.
I give you :2/5:.

The part about armor was especially hilarious, I actually chuckled out loud.

I may be willing to mutilate one of my standard chars with passive respec available just to prove a point. I'll see if I'm up to it later today.

What's wrong with armour? As far as I can tell from the wiki, it still helps reduce the damage ES takes from physical attacks, right? Does it not? I've spent hours reading that bloody thing and there's still shit I'm not sure about. Wait, here we go:

Physical damage reductions and elemental resistances applies to damage before it is deducted from energy shield

Or do you mean to just not give a shit about armour and get more ES because of elemental or whatever? If you're a warrior you're probably going to be getting hit a lot, so surely reducing physical damage is useful. Is this one of those things you discover after playing for 2,350 hours that it doesn't actually matter? Are DoTs more of an issue? All of these bloody build guides always spout on about how great they are or how much ES it has and shit, but no one ever says why things are done in a certain way. You just read the post, copy what they do, then go happily on your way.

Honestly, I'm not trolling, I would like to understand this game and builds and shit. It's just so fucking baffling sometimes. It's like half the mechanics are just useless noob traps or something.

Edit: I should mention the "build" was with zero gear, just comparing skill trees alone, in case that wasn't blindingly obvious.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
You are either trolling or have absolutely no idea how to design a viable build in PoE.

And yet, his freestyle Marauder build he made when completely new to the game can easily survive in maps... possibly not high-tier red maps, but he didn't follow any build or equipment guide.

I can tell because he was surprised that Marauder build guides list stuff like "only has ~6.8k life" as a con, because with "only" that much life, they aren't HC-viable. A con! To get that much life, you already have to have life on damn near every possible piece of gear, and a lot of nodes to boot.

You're a good sport Reich, you really are. It must be annoying putting up with skrubs discovering "Path of Life Nodes" for the Nth time.
HCLife is a different game.
For normal game 5500 life is enough for most of the game. You need to have additional ways to survive one shots. You will die on occasion but it should not be that often if you are careful. What is irritating is that you need to stay concentrated all the time as you can die easily if you forget to use that potion or not keep your endurance charges up. Something that does not happen with 11K ES characters. My latest one with 11.5k ES gets hit all the time and I don't care. I think I died maybe twice since switching to CI and I run up to tier 14 maps (I don't have higher than tier 14).

Nim

Augur
A big part of the problem in my case is that I want to do red maps, but they almost never drop, despite how hard I've worked to fill in bonus percentage and despite the fact that I wear Bisco's Collar and run Rarity Support in Firestorm 6L.
Unfortunately quantity on items doesn't help with map drops.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The part about armor was especially hilarious, I actually chuckled out loud.

I may be willing to mutilate one of my standard chars with passive respec available just to prove a point. I'll see if I'm up to it later today.

What's wrong with armour? As far as I can tell from the wiki, it still helps reduce the damage ES takes from physical attacks, right? Does it not? I've spent hours reading that bloody thing and there's still shit I'm not sure about. Wait, here we go:

Physical damage reductions and elemental resistances applies to damage before it is deducted from energy shield

Or do you mean to just not give a shit about armour and get more ES because of elemental or whatever? If you're a warrior you're probably going to be getting hit a lot, so surely reducing physical damage is useful. Is this one of those things you discover after playing for 2,350 hours that it doesn't actually matter? Are DoTs more of an issue? All of these bloody build guides always spout on about how great they are or how much ES it has and shit, but no one ever says why things are done in a certain way. You just read the post, copy what they do, then go happily on your way.

Honestly, I'm not trolling, I would like to understand this game and builds and shit. It's just so fucking baffling sometimes. It's like half the mechanics are just useless noob traps or something.

Edit: I should mention the "build" was with zero gear, just comparing skill trees alone, in case that wasn't blindingly obvious.
Armor protects well vs lots of small hits but does shit vs big hits. And those big hits are usually what destroys life builds as you cannot get easily high MAX life. It also does nothing vs non physical damage.
CI gives you a huge pool of EHP (effective HP) and you use potions to give you reduction to damage. You can also use Endurance charges and Fortify (if you are using a melee attack) to give you more protection. CI also makes you immune to one whole element (chaos).
Also CI works well with Vaal pact, Ghost and life leech giving you ES back through focusing on damage. And to make it even better you need to spend less passive points on ES nodes to get to good EHP so you can put more on damage making that leech combination even better.

T. Reich

Arcane
Does it have 10k ES?

No?

Delete it. It's trash. :troll:

I'll actually check at home. I'll probably hit closer to 9k es, though. Being 2h and all.
I've checked what gear I can quickly pilfer from my chars, and it will most likely have:
2h=disfavour - sunder goes here (sunder+multistrike+faster attacks+melee phys+melee on full life*) *see that melee on full life? One of reasons to go CI as melee char, it's not for life-based skrubs:troll:.
armor=750+ es 2x res regalia - don't think i'm gonna use any sockets here, not important for showcase
helmet=vertex (boy, do I love that helmet) - herald of ash + warlord's mark on discipline for that sweet leech and endurance charges
gloves=something rare with 150+ es and some res/attack speed - probably 4L for warchief (RRRU/RRRG/RRGU)
boots=death's door, of course! no-brainer here. RRRG for leap slammerino with fortify
rings+ammy=es+resists+flat phys, gonna steal a pair from my CI flurry char
belt=some rare crystal belt, whatever
flasks? hahaha, I'm playing CI, faggot, 5 utility flasks all the way! Rumi's, taste of hate, lion's roar, atziri's promise, and probably sin's rebirth or some anti-freeze quicksilver/stibnite.
EDIT: I'll see if I can throw together a crit 2h staff CI zerker. Kinda always wanted to do one, and Hehemony's Era is sooo good.

Lazing Dirk sorry, man, I totally forgot you're new.
Armor protip: armor is borked right now, the worst of noob-traps. It looks like it gives some protective value, but it only really works if you have a lot of it, and only vs small-ish hits. If anything hits you hard (like a boss), armor is next to useless there. It also does fuck all vs spell damage (those evangelists, for example) and vs elemental damage.
Solutions: keep up fortify all of the time + run 5+ endurance charges + use basalt flask. Those three provide flat % reduction to physical (and for fortify - also elemental/chaos) damage taken, making them actually useful.
Sad news - ES-based builds can use them as well.
I'll explain later in details, if you want.
The good thing for you - you luckily chose to play as juggernaut. Juggy boasts access to endurance charge and fortify-related bonuses, plus a significant dose of life regen, making it a fairly solid tank (for a life-based build, that is), if a bit low on offense.
The solution to get hit a lot - hit back a lot, leech a lot of life back. Instantly (via Vaal Pact) or much faster than normal (by stacking max life leech rate as Slayer duelist ascendancy) if possible.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hope they make Cyclone better in 3.0, that is almost only melee skill I enjoy playing and I was not able to make a really good character with it (didn't want to c/p known popular builds). But maybe my mistake was trying to make life versions.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
ArchAngel
Yeah, even I knew that. It's the big hits and spikes that get you. Armour and evasion? What are those? Oh, you evaded a smash? Here, have a bunch of +75% area, +75% extra fire damage spell explosions.

You guys do see why "just get a HUGE POOL OF HP" sounds boring and gay, right? It's one-dimensional and shit.

HOWEVER, don't misunderstand me: The developers have a hard job. If the monsters don't do enough damage, then the game is too easy and that's shit, too. If they never did huge spikes, then over-time mitigation would be the meta (and it would also be easier). But the end result is that everything else goes in the trash mostly and you need a huge HP pool.

ArchAngel

Arcane
ArchAngel
Yeah, even I knew that. It's the big hits and spikes that get you. Armour and evasion? What are those?

You guys do see why "just get a HUGE POOL OF HP" sounds boring and gay, right? It's one-dimensional and shit.

HOWEVER, don't misunderstand me: The developers have a hard job. If the monsters don't do enough damage, then the game is too easy and that's shit, too. But the end result is that everything else goes in the trash mostly and you need a huge HP pool.
Life + Evasion is a much better choice as long as you also got block or Acrobatics to help (or both). You still need to use secondary defense like Endurance charges or Fortify (or Enfeeble curse) in addition to Basalt flask but the big hits will suddenly hit you rarely and you will die less.

EDIT:
And it is not just huge pool of HP. That was when the game was called Path of Life Nodes (before CI became superior). Then they added Fortify, Basalt Flasks, multiple ways to generate endurance charges and such.. and you are required to use those as well. I use Basalt with my 11.5k ES CI guy as well.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It hasn't escaped me that the little colored balls are pretty much mandatory, at least in red maps.

Path of Jugglers is the new meta! :troll:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't enjoy making sure endurance charges are up, it is another reason why I don't want to play warriors focused on life anymore.

I tried some of the fun builds like Vaal Spark (a bit modified version where I Spark more and Vaal less), why go back to something 2x less fun.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Lazing Dirk sorry, man, I totally forgot you're new.
Armor protip: armor is borked right now, the worst of noob-traps. It looks like it gives some protective value, but it only really works if you have a lot of it, and only vs small-ish hits. If anything hits you hard (like a boss), armor is next to useless there. It also does fuck all vs spell damage (those evangelists, for example) and vs elemental damage.
Solutions: keep up fortify all of the time + run 5+ endurance charges + use basalt flask. Those three provide flat % reduction to physical (and for fortify - also elemental/chaos) damage taken, making them actually useful.
Sad news - ES-based builds can use them as well.
I'll explain later in details, if you want.
The good thing for you - you luckily chose to play as juggernaut. Juggy boasts access to endurance charge and fortify-related bonuses, plus a significant dose of life regen, making it a fairly solid tank (for a life-based build, that is), if a bit low on offense.
The solution to get hit a lot - hit back a lot, leech a lot of life back. Instantly (via Vaal Pact) or much faster than normal (by stacking max life leech rate as Slayer duelist ascendancy) if possible.

Yeah, I've got fortify support on my mace so it's running full time, plus Rampart. I'll have Unyielding once I finish uber lab too. I've got 9 endurance charges which I generally have up constantly, plus 4% extra physical DR from some skill somewhere. Tell you what, I'll just link my silly build. Edit: That doesn't seem to be showing all nodes for some reason. I have the 0.2% life regen per endurance charge for starters. Double edit: Or I thought I did. Wat. Will have to fix that. Strange.

I've got Devoto's for movment/attack speed and another 10% DR, cospri's will (no seriously) that casts enfeeble (essentially more free DR), punishment, and desecrate on damage taken, battering rams to be immune to shock plus more damage and speed, carnage heart for more leech/damage/stats for cospri's, kaom's way, tramplers, and a rare belt/ring to fill in resistances and some more life. 5L tidebreaker with sunder/fortity/faster attacks/physical damage support/multistrike. I keep up blood rage when possible, and hatred/herald of ash. Enduring cry for charges if I can't get them from stuns of being hit, and warlords mark if I need more life/mana leech. That about covers it. I should probably checks my flasks though, I barely use them at the moment, except for movement and a bit of extra damage on bosses. Biggest problem is probably that I only have about 4.2k health, but I'm grabbing more of those health nodes.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Ok, I'm gonna throw together a 2h crit hegemony's era phys staff CI berserker.
Might wanna buy a 6L hege, only own a 5L on standard.
Defenses for the build: it's CI (lol), 36% block + occasional legacy Rumi's, 5x endurance charges, occasional fortify + basalt flask, a bit of evasion, 1.6-5% life leech (instant) depending on what I'm fightan.

Lazing Dirk It looks more or less solid. Look up one of my characters - Dat_Dere_Celltech - it's very similar to yours.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/T_Reich/characters
This is the guy I took to lvl90 in prophecy HC league and farmed the shit out of uber lab with it (the build is amazing for it).
Soon after that league ended, I made an error in judgement and proceeded to yolo leap slam in a middle of a blue pack of titty bitches in a random Poorjoy's Asylum.
The build may be tanky as fuck, but it's not immortal.:hero:

ArchAngel

Arcane
4200 life is super low for end game, even with all those defenses. You need more life on gear. %life nodes do little if your base life+strength is low. Also forget about desecrate, replace that with something like Vortex or Arctic Breath (because both automatically chill enemies they hit and chill is a useful debuff).
And personally I would not use multistrike, it locks you into one spot for too long especially when using a slow base weapon. Added Fire or even WED supports would be better (since you are using Hatred and Herald of Ash already).

Leechmonger

Arbiter
I'll hold off on playing this again until they either making trading less of a pain in the ass or they fix the drop rate so you don't have to rely on trading to get items for your build.

T. Reich

Arcane
^ unrealistic expectations.

Trading is already ez pz if you're not a retard and want to put some effort into it.
SSF is already viable if you actually take care to research how to properly utilise crafting with orbs, masters and essences. Which is also not rocket science.

TL;DR: get gud.

ArchAngel

Arcane
^ unrealistic expectations.

Trading is already ez pz if you're not a retard and want to put some effort into it.
SSF is already viable if you actually take care to research how to properly utilise crafting with orbs, masters and essences. Which is also not rocket science.

TL;DR: get gud.
Trading is cancer. Even popular streamers like Raizqt says that all the time. Between all the fucking around to set up shop if you don't have premium tabs and all the hoops you need to jump through to buy anything from poe.trade (things like "this user is off line" after you message them; sellers not responding; sellers doing whatever right now and you needing to come back later; sellers suddenly asking a different price and other shit) it is far from ez pz.
EDIT: On the other hand, the fucked up trade system is only thing making life builds at least somewhat playable. CI builds cannot do much but trade and suffer it to get good and useful items.

SSF is nowhere close to good. It may be viable, there are a couple of good SSF builds but people that don't like trading or group play but still want to play with cool unique items that for most of us never had drop don't fucking care about your wrong opinion.
SSF as it is now is a league for competition, not fun. It is so people with most knowledge of the game or most luck get to compare their epeens with each other.

T. Reich

Arcane
Don't give a shit about what popular streamers say. They're people, too, not some infallible gods of PoE.

Setting up a shop without premium tabs is done in 4 easy steps in what takes 15 mins max, unless you're one of slow people:
1) download and install Acquisition (it's made by the guy who runs poe.trade). (under 5 mins)
2) get a code from poe.trade for acquisition so that you can be seen as online. (under 5 mins)
3) make a thread on the relevant trade forum on poe website and link it to acquisition. (under 5 mins)
4) let it scan your tabs in the specific league and assign prices to tabs and/or individual items (from under 5 mins to infinity if you're gonna take your time pricing individual items).
There! And you only need to do this once per league.
Too hard, right?

If you're gonna complain about sellers being afk/offline/busy/occasional assholes (much rarer than the reddit would like you to believe), then you're retarded because you're taking a game seriously.
Also, the sellers are people just like you. they have every fucking right to be afk, or busy, or even tell you to fuck off if you keep pestering them.
If you don't like it - buy from someone else! It's not like there aren't thousands of people selling their crap at all times.

Life vs CI blah blah. Just because CI+money makes game ezmode doesn't mean life-based builds suck.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
If you're gonna complain about sellers being afk/offline/busy/occasional assholes (much rarer than the reddit would like you to believe), then you're retarded because you're taking a game seriously.
Also, the sellers are people just like you. they have every fucking right to be afk, or busy, or even tell you to fuck off if you keep pestering them.
If you don't like it - buy from someone else! It's not like there aren't thousands of people selling their crap at all times..

i dont take the game seriously, i take the time invest into smtg annoying thats takes from my actual autistic gaming time ,like trading, seriously.

trading is cancer.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Don't give a shit about what popular streamers say. They're people, too, not some infallible gods of PoE.

Setting up a shop without premium tabs is done in 4 easy steps in what takes 15 mins max, unless you're one of slow people:
1) download and install Acquisition (it's made by the guy who runs poe.trade). (under 5 mins)
2) get a code from poe.trade for acquisition so that you can be seen as online. (under 5 mins)
3) make a thread on the relevant trade forum on poe website and link it to acquisition. (under 5 mins)
4) let it scan your tabs in the specific league and assign prices to tabs and/or individual items (from under 5 mins to infinity if you're gonna take your time pricing individual items).
There! And you only need to do this once per league.
Too hard, right?

If you don't like it - buy from someone else! It's not like there aren't thousands of people selling their crap at all times.

Life vs CI blah blah. Just because CI+money makes game ezmode doesn't mean life-based builds suck.
Thank you for proving my point lol.

T. Reich

Arcane
Listen to this:

Nugi's and Mors' answers of Paleo's question very closely reflect my opinion. The problem is not with the trading system itself. It's with the people who trade. It's because of the buyers who WANT THE ITEM NOW NOW NOW on one side. It's because of the sellers who are too busy masturbating strands (or whatever, really) to be bothered to respond because it breaks their flow, or "inefficient", or whatever. Chances are, you've been both of these at some point of time.
The problem is that people expect instant gratification whereas the devs (Chris specifically) have stated that instant gratification is something they DON'T want in PoE, because it DOES detract from the overall experience of actually getting something cool eventually.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've gotta side with Reich here. It's one thing if you don't like the fact that the game is designed around trading at all (games designed with mass player trading in mind are fundamentally different from those that are not, and this applies to PoE); but it's quite another thing if you just find the trading annoying.

The trading in PoE is really no different than in any online game. In fact, it's so similar to trading in Warframe that I've had to laugh on numerous occasions, and Warframe is a COMPLETELY different type of game in every possible way. The third-party site used to list items for sale; the buyer whispering the seller; sellers being busy in instances or AFK; the seller inviting the buyer to his "hideout" (dojo); price-fixing and gouging; occasional scam attempts or rude people; etc. It's all the same.

This is simply what a player-driven, free-market economy looks like in online games with rare drops and so on.

I got a lucky roll on my helmet when Reich and Zidisiu took me through uber lab, and I should be able to sell it for around 2ex. I can't, though, because I can't find an adequate replacement for it on poe.trade. I've been looking for two or three days for a helmet with 200+ ES, 90+ max life, and +2 to minion gems, which is actually quite a bit worse than my current hat... can't find a single result. Seems it's very difficult to find a helmet with very good endgame stats that also has +2 to minion gems.

I don't really care that much, though. It's just an item, and currency is just currency. If you play in League only, it all goes away soon enough anyway.

Last edited:

Quatlo

Arcane
They really need to fix that strand farming bullshit metagame because its giving me cancer. Every random i meet in this game is hurr durr why would you ever fill the atlas and challenge yourself, just farm shaped strands and sell them bro.

Atlas was a mistake

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom