Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
So i just learned that POE is diablo + finaru fantasy.

It uses the materia system from ff7. You put gems with skills into sockets and they level up apart from yourself.

The passive skill tree was first introduced in FF X.

Anyone who played POE d3 and torchlight 2 can give an overview?

Stabwound

Arcane
I must say that I'm pretty excited for this game, especially given the general disappointment that was D3. PoE seems closer to a spiritual successor to D2 than D3 was. It will be pretty interesting to see if they can sustain the game on the free-to-play with aesthetic perks for microtransactions.

Actually, looking at their shop, they actually sell stash space for doolars, which is arguably a requirement if you're going to play the game long term. It says 30 points gives you an extra tab, and 100 points = $10 (at least for prepurchase) so that sounds good on paper, but I'm looking at the forums and people are saying they purchased like 20 extra tabs of space already in the beta, which is $60 right there. I can see people shelling out $60+ for extra stash space, which I guess is worth it if you're going to get a lot of playtime out of the game.

Also, I loved this:

Cut-throat

The cut-throat leagues appeal to the niche of players who demand the most hardcore gaming experience possible. In this mode, all world areas are public, with full PvP enabled by default. Slain characters drop all their items upon death. This game mode can also be combined with Hardcore to create an even more unforgiving world.
:incline:

aris

Arcane
I must say that I'm pretty excited for this game, especially given the general disappointment that was D3. PoE seems closer to a spiritual successor to D2 than D3 was. It will be pretty interesting to see if they can sustain the game on the free-to-play with aesthetic perks for microtransactions.

Actually, looking at their shop, they actually sell stash space for doolars, which is arguably a requirement if you're going to play the game long term. It says 30 points gives you an extra tab, and 100 points = $10 (at least for prepurchase) so that sounds good on paper, but I'm looking at the forums and people are saying they purchased like 20 extra tabs of space already in the beta, which is $60 right there. I can see people shelling out $60+ for extra stash space, which I guess is worth it if you're going to get a lot of playtime out of the game.

Also, I loved this:

Cut-throat

The cut-throat leagues appeal to the niche of players who demand the most hardcore gaming experience possible. In this mode, all world areas are public, with full PvP enabled by default. Slain characters drop all their items upon death. This game mode can also be combined with Hardcore to create an even more unforgiving world.
:incline:
Small ass inventory and full game price just for 20 extra tabs? Coincidence? No, this game was made only for making money out of stash tab buyers. Haha! Now it's my turn to make all kinds of crazy conspiracies on how different gameplay elements are made to grab a maximal amount of money from the players :D. But in all seriousness though, if they are taking 3$ for each tab, which is quite a lot of money, then they really aren't following up on their "ethical" micro transaction model with only cosmetical changes. Of course, that would never work either.

I look forward to this game too, at least in comparison to TL2, which looks banal shit boring. I will play it alot too, I think, especially because its sphere grid system, that they probably took from final fantasy X, which is one of the biggest inclines to ever happen to a character system. If they can implement it as well as they did in FFX, then it will be majestic. It's also nice to see them bringing something new to the genre.

aris

Arcane
ban gaudaost

582191_o.gif

Stabwound

Arcane
Does anyone happen to have an extra beta key around that they'd be willing to share with a bro? I'd love to try this game out a little but I'm not to keen on the idea of spending $10 on a demo. Let me know or send me a PM if you can hook me up.

:bro:

Groof

Educated
Sent a PM.

Kind of more on topic, I haven't played this enough to have a superstrong opinion on it. But it does at least seem like dev has his heart in mostly the right place. Like, I dunno how things compare on high levels and if balancandblablabla, but stuff like the "here's a skill-graph you will get lost in" are just way cooler things to throw in your face than D3-things like "so here's some skills that kind of unlock on their own".

Gregz

Arcane
I've got two lvl ~40s and three lvl ~10s, this game is great. As has been said, the devs are making all the right changes and doing all the right things.

Path of Exile is made by gamers for gamers, it's got heart. It's the exact opposite of D3.

Speaking at the Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference in San Francisco yesterday, Kotick said:

"The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

Think he knows people outside the room will be reading this kind of stuff? Course he does. He just doesn't care.

PoE is easily worth the $10 to play right now, and the money goes directly into making the game better.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, yes, it looks great. But the fact that it will be F2P turns me off - in most cases F2P is nothing short but Pay 2 Win. Although I might be wrong here, the current list of "What can I Spend Points on" looks like it will be mostly vanity items, so I'll wait and see.

Gregz

Arcane
Well, yes, it looks great. But the fact that it will be F2P turns me off - in most cases F2P is nothing short but Pay 2 Win. Although I might be wrong here, the current list of "What can I Spend Points on" looks like it will be mostly vanity items, so I'll wait and see.

Worst case scenario, let's say you're right.

You will have spent $10 and played the beta for 6 months, getting 100x the fun you would have paying D3 (see what I did there?) which you're almost certain to quit before 6 months anyway.

aris

Arcane
Worst case scenario: PoE will turn into just another extreme money grabbing "free2play", which will happen with 99% probability in the future; they've already taken a small step towards it, by forcing you to buy stash tabs, but I will enjoy the game until it happens.

By the way, from a post of sea, I read that this game has forced always online, is this right?

Groof

Educated
Haha! Now it's my turn to make all kinds of crazy conspiracies on how different gameplay elements are made to grab a maximal amount of money from the players :D.

You're not making up for any of the retardation in the D3-thread by being a retard here. It only amounts to more retardation. Only fanboys care about how this guy was retarding about D3 and that guy was retarding about PoE and how those are totally different things to do...

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Worst case scenario: PoE will turn into just another extreme money grabbing "free2play", which will happen with 99% probability in the future; they've already taken a small step towards it, by forcing you to buy stash tabs, but I will enjoy the game until it happens.

By the way, from a post of sea, I read that this game has forced always online, is this right?
As opposite to D3, it has no single payer campaign so being forced online actually serves a purpose.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why are people so negative about F2P? Most F2P stuff is bullshit, I know, but most of them have declared their bullshit from their start. PoE on the other hand seems to be even less bullshit than LoL, which is a fine F2P model.

Worst comes to worst, I will leave if the bullshit starts.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Standard stash has a pretty decent size in my opinion. It's worth mentioning that the devs aren't forcing anyone to buy anything. They've even stated that it's perfectly fine if someone sets up another account to create more characters or have more free space to stash his stuff.

Those guys seem pretty reasonable, so I don't expect them to implement any bullshit in their game.

Stabwound

Arcane
They also give a ridiculous character limit of 24 per account by default. That's a lot of mules.

Stabwound

Arcane
I've been playing this for a little bit. It does seem more like Diablo than D3, but something about the combat feels less responsive than D3. Good, responsive and "weighty" combat is one thing D3 does well.

Other quick thoughts:

-Skill gem system (similar to FF7 materia) is pretty neat.
-Passive skill tree is absolutely massive and very daunting.
-The community feels much more cohesive due to the way its set up, with common hubs where you see other players running around, etc. Much superior to Battle.net
-The people in the chat are absolutely retarded.
-The inventory seems way too small considering the fact that some items are 6+ squares large, compared to D3 having all equipment 2 squares.
-The no gold economy is interesting and I don't think it's been done in another online RPG. It should be interesting to see how it effects inflation/deflation in trading.
-Every possible character name seems to be taken; result of having everything on one server instead of many like MMORPGs.

aris

Arcane

As opposite to D3, it has no single payer campaign so being forced online actually serves a purpose.
What do you mean, it has no single player campaign? Unless the whole world is one big one, wherein all the quests take place for everybody to see, exactly like an MMORPG, that is a rather arbitrary distinction. So you confirm it then? I just thought it was interesting, that there has been zero people on this thread, crying their brave and self-righteous tears about how every game from now on will have latency, and that everyone playing/giving money to this, are contributing to the :declining:

But, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, this is the codex after all, not some place where people actually form informed and independent opinions based on the facts of the game alone, and not on the company that makes it.
:troll:
Worst comes to worst, I will leave if the bullshit starts.
Indeed, I'm overall quite positive about this game.

Stabwound

Arcane
It feels like there is no single player campaign because it's like Guild Wars, where dungeons are instanced but towns are shared. I don't think anyone would say Guild Wars has a solo campaign.

Even cooler is CutThroat league, where everywhere outside of town is PVP enforced and you can join anyone's instance without them consenting to it. And then kill them and take all of their items. :smug:

aris

Arcane
Even cooler is CutThroat league, where everywhere outside of town is PVP enforced and you can join anyone's instance without them consenting to it. And then kill them and take all of their items. :smug:

THat's excellent news for trolls, but not cool for anyone trying to enjoy the game, without random people that are 50 lvls your superior, coming and killing you all the time for the lulz D:. Or do you have to explicitly state that you want to join this league? in which case, it is cool and ok.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The league-system works really well from what I seen. Fuck the haters that says "it's not real hardcore when I don't lose it permanently". I really like the small but directed changes made compared to other games in the genre without trying to remake everything completely.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
PoE was well worth the $10.

I have a level 45 Marauder and a few other level 20 to 30 characters.

I played a Barbarian in D3 until Act 2 of Inferno. In my opinion D3 was a better action game then PoE. D3 is more visually explosive and the raw explosive game play was more visceral and action packed. Boom. Smash. Crush. Essentially Doom in a different package. Pure action, not much else.

PoE is far more complicated, and I actually am finding the game's difficulty quite challenging as I level up. I die less often in PoE than in D3, but the deaths are generally caused by my bad choices, whereas in D3 most of my deaths were from impossible situations that didn't involve any agency on my part.

The skill tree is complicated, and every time I look at it I get new ideas, and see ways to improve. I like thinking.

I played in the 3 hour hardcore league contest on Saturday. That was lots of fun. I think these short run contests will be the life's blood of the game's community.

I enjoy making new characters and trying different things out.

As for pay to win/free to play....

I paid the $10 but have never spent my in game coins on the stash upgrades or on the extra character slots. So far it hasn't been necessary. So unless they really change things I hardly see how PoE can even remotely be considered Pay to Win, especially compared to the D3 model which is Pay to Play/Pay to Win from design up.

D3 is Pay To Win, only it isn't free to play, while PoE will be Free To Play/Free to Win.

I am probably going to throw another $15 at PoE just because the game is cool, and I have gotten my $10 out of it.

Ultimately the difference between PoE and D3 is that I want the designers of PoE to succeed and I feel like they have the game's best interests at heart. When they make changes they aren't arbitrary changes that confound me. Whereas I felt at odds with the designers of D3. I felt that they hated their player base and that they actually thought I was too stupid to think beyond "hit button to make explosion".

I absolutely hate the Free To Play model where the game is essentially designed in such a way that the game will slowly become more and more tedious in order to force you to spend money. D3 has that. PoE does not.

I would much rather give money to a game because I am enjoying the game, rather than because I am becoming increasingly frustrated and annoyed.

D3 should be free. PoE should cost $60.

The world is upside down when a Pay To Win game like D3 costs $60 to install, while a Free to Play game like PoE doesn't have any way for me to spend money to win. Just bizarre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom