Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
oh yeah, forgot about those.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Remember that you can also vendor useless rare sets for chaos orbs. Never sell rare amulets and rings seperately.

DakaSha

Arcane
Or you can just buy them from other players?

It's my first character, I'm not exactly rolling in the dough yet.

Either the gems you can use are easily acquirable through the quests OR you can afford them. Seriously this is no excuse.
The only expensive gems are ones you cant use until level 24-31 anyways (barring things like clarity). at which point you should be able to afford your gems

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I'll never get all the gems I'd need by just doing the quests with one character, it'd require several characters doing the same quests which is just moronic. And since there's no in-game auction house or anything, trading is balls - who wants to hang around in trade chat for hours on end on the off-chance someone might want to trade exactly what you need.

Don't get me wrong, the whole concept of skill gems is really neat, the implementation is just somewhat lacking.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Never sell rare amulets and rings seperately.

You can combine them into sets? Not that I've found any so far.

No, I mean that you can trade in rare sets (one of each peace of rare armor +weapon + rings and amulet for a chaos orb at the vendor. It's not an efficient way to raise resources, but after awhile you accumulate quite a bit of useless yellows that can be put so some use.

Just beat merciless vaal and holy shit did I almost crap my pants. Took a hammer to the face twice during the fight.

empi

Augur
Oh fuck died in merciless weaver's, so stupid of me ahahah, got mobbed by flickers.

Oh well, will reroll in the week race I guess, was kinda getting bored of my char anyway, a pretty cookie-cutter dual sporker. Also fuck CI, even with 5k ES I felt really vulnerable, need my pots. Gonna do kripp's SMASH thing

Olsvik

Novice
I'll never get all the gems I'd need by just doing the quests with one character, it'd require several characters doing the same quests which is just moronic. And since there's no in-game auction house or anything, trading is balls - who wants to hang around in trade chat for hours on end on the off-chance someone might want to trade exactly what you need.

Don't get me wrong, the whole concept of skill gems is really neat, the implementation is just somewhat lacking.

Use the trade forums on the website.

DakaSha

Arcane

You dont seem to get it. People have stashes FULL of the gems you need. I bet i alone could supply you with every single skill gem you can use at this stage. If you are past the stage of me being able to supply you then you have the orbs to buy what you need. Unless you have this super specific build planned then yes you will have to farm for it.

and there i was thinking this is a loot based ARPG

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Olsvik:

Just found out about it, certainly beats spamming the trade chat (don't really like those no matter what the game).

And yeah don't mind me too much, this is just lowbie whining basically. I just don't like the idea of resorting to handouts/trade right in the beginning - sure it's a multiplayer game yada yada, but playing solo should be a viable route all the way, as well.

DakaSha

Arcane
30bkbw4.png

Thats only my 'surplus' gems. And i havent played for like 3 weeks. Nothing traded for (yes with a couple chars though)

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

Well shit, hard to argue with that kind of reasoning. :thumbsup:

Do those custom stash tab names come from micro-transactions, or are they for everyone (I'd check for myself, but I'm on the shitty laptop)?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Playing solo IS a viable route, I got my very first toon to act 3 merciless without trading a single peace of gear or skill gem.

However, if you want to follow a very specific hybrid build, have all the auras and make sure your weapons are always up to date, then trading is imperative. Powergaming should require players to take extra steps, wouldn't you agree?

I think PoE did an excellent job at balancing the loot system. I'm lvl 70 and my gear consists of equal parts traded, crafted and looted items.

Also, Turisas , just tell us what gems you need and we will try to give/sell them to you. That's what bros are for, after all.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I got my shadow to endgame using only gear and gems I found (save for Warlord's Mark, which I was too lazy to get myself and got from a bro). At level 64 I still don't have a bunch of relatively pedestrian support gems like melee physical damage and such, and I do just fine with what I have. This is with a very gear dependent build too. The only thing that I feel I'm going to need to trade extensively for is chaos resistance, since I plan to use Blood Rage and need to be around 0% in order for my life regen to cancel out the damage over time from BR.

I still strongly dislike the existence of chaos resistance and the penalty it gets from Cruel/Merciless. It feels like a poorly conceived change, made solely for the purpose of adding another tedious gear check to endgame.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Also, Turisas , just tell us what gems you need and we will try to give/sell them to you. That's what bros are for, after all.

Appreciate it, but I'd rather tough it out on my own - from what I hear the endgame currently isn't in a stellar shape anyway, so the early/mid-game is probably more fun than high-level content anyway.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I still strongly dislike the existence of chaos resistance and the penalty it gets from Cruel/Merciless. It feels like a poorly conceived change, made solely for the purpose of adding another tedious gear check to endgame.

What would your alternative for Chaos Inoculation be then?

These types of games need a hard to resist damage type for balance purposes. Diablo 2 has magic damage, LoL has true damage, PoE has chaos. Besides, getting chaos resistance affixes on high level items is really easy.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

What would your alternative for Chaos Inoculation be then?

These types of games need a hard to resist damage type for balance purposes. Diablo 2 has magic damage, LoL has true damage, PoE has chaos. Besides, getting chaos resistance affixes on high level items is really easy.

I think Chaos damage worked fine in Closed Beta, I don't understand why they felt the need to rework it. CI was its own problem, and imo ES in general was severely overnerfed. Also, notice how in Diablo 2 magic resistance wasn't affected by difficulty level or items (with one exception afaik). I'm fine with unresistable damage. What I don't like is making Chaos damage work almost exactly like Cold/Fire/Lightning, except with more expensive resistance mods on gear. It's boring, and the game needing it signifies a more fundamental balance problem.

Aothan

Magister
the forthcoming patch sounds interesting, especially for Duelists who are likely the next example of Marauders except with a greater emphasis on weapon skill over defence. As a Ranger with a dedicated focus within the Duelist's areas (Berserking, Leather & Steel, Mana Flows, Swordmaster etc..) it's likely my character will be receiving a passive skill reset sometime tomorrow. It is also great that the 'double active skills' claim of the developers begins to tomorrow with the introduction of Incinerate which sounds like a Path of Exile version of Inferno a la Diablo II. I'm optimistically expecting the next skill to be released in the following week to be a melee type, but that remains to be seen. In any case it is obviously very timely of them to start introducing new skills on a weekly basis.

Olsvik

Novice
There will be a new melee skill next patch.

With Incinerate filling the gap for fire casters, we've scheduled an area-of-effect melee skill for 0.10.3. This patch is due the week after 0.10.2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom