Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What's the mod that lets you cancel AoE spells?
Getting a bit annoyed casting wall and deadly earth behind myself all the time.
Eldritch Arcana. Version that keeps up with patches lives here. Huge mod with many cool things but if you want one component only it could be problematic.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Eldritch Arcana only allow you to cancel some AoE effects from the caster and it can be annoying since the button disappear from the shortcuts each time you use it.

There's another mod which only does this, cancelling any AoE effect as soon as the combat is over. All of them, even those from enemies like those annoying entangle.

The name is quite obvious and it's on Nexus.

Recently updated call off the wild, received dood old error screen. Rolled back and fixed.

Didn't work for me but i upgraded eldritch arcana, call of the wild and proper flanking 2 all at once, tried to roll back but my last two saves wouldn't work.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
By the way, is there some Cleaner mod "advanced users" around here ?

I can remove corpses after i looted them but for most of the big maps, seems like i can't do much to reduce their Mb size.
I tried to remove some generic friendly units but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Any hints ?
How to use it efficiently to improve performances without fucking everything up ?

Daidre

Arcane
How to use it efficiently to improve performances without fucking everything up ?

Imho, if your PC is decent enough (SSD + 16+GB RAM + 4+CPU cores) you need not bother with Cleaner mod. Save size will continue to snowball until "point of no return" in endgame, and mod helps to mitigate only part of the problem.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've actually been enjoying a Armored Hulk/Fighter build. Nice change of pace from my usual monk builds. I think I figured out a way to make barbarian work on Unfair.
Here is what the build looks like thus far:
uTa4933.png
FOo3BSE.png
Hq6hQV9.png
Xs5ikoI.png

After all these years I finally figured it out. I finally realized how to make armored melee users work. You don't need vivi, you just need high STR + enlarge + bull's strength + power attack + rage.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
The basic gist of it is rage. Rage gives a +2 bonus towards melee attack rolls, damage, and will save throws. This thing is basically a real game changer. I usually play my fighters by enlarging them and hiding them behind Jaethal (Jaethal is my go to tank. Valerie is second go to tank.). However, with the high strength + power attack + rage + other bonuses. You can just charge in on an enemy and immediately one shot it. Its quite rare for most enemies survive a charge. Of course since its unfair you're probably going to get an unlucky crit to the face. Nonetheless this set up has allowed me to play far more aggressively than I could in the past. Its a breath of fresh air to be able to play like a monk, where I can just charge and poop on enemies.

Armored Hulk was chosen purely for Resilience of Steel, which helps mitigate the chances of getting a crit to the face. 3 levels into fighter was mainly for armor training and extra feats. I'm still figuring out rage powers, but am set on the beast totem (Mainly for natural armor bonuses and pounce). Suffice to say this build is quite fun, and might be able to compete with my strength based monks. I don't know how I ever missed rage.... Or rage powers.... fack this is what one thousand hours of playing monk does to your brain.

Daidre

Arcane
Of course since its unfair you're probably going to get an unlucky crit to the face. Nonetheless this set up has allowed me to play far more aggressively than I could in the past.

I got petty cool results on similarly built Amiri using Vicious (1d6 self damage every hit) greatsword + Learther Armor that casts Greater Invis after each incoming hit. Her DR allows her to completely ignore self-damage part but perma-invisibility did a wonders for her survival rate and boosted her attack too.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Of course since its unfair you're probably going to get an unlucky crit to the face. Nonetheless this set up has allowed me to play far more aggressively than I could in the past.

I got petty cool results on similarly built Amiri using Vicious (1d6 self damage every hit) greatsword + Learther Armor that casts Greater Invis after each incoming hit. Her DR allows her to completely ignore self-damage part but perma-invisibility did a wonders for her survival rate and boosted her attack too.
That sounds neat. I usually dump Amiri for Jubilost. I kind of regret it, now that I realize just how powerful rage can be on a high strength user. Amiri may start with low stregth, but it is easily fixable by buffs, and belts.

Thonius

Arcane

Eldritch Arcana only allow you to cancel some AoE effects from the caster and it can be annoying since the button disappear from the shortcuts each time you use it.

There's another mod which only does this, cancelling any AoE effect as soon as the combat is over. All of them, even those from enemies like those annoying entangle.

The name is quite obvious and it's on Nexus.

Recently updated call off the wild, received dood old error screen. Rolled back and fixed.

Didn't work for me but i upgraded eldritch arcana, call of the wild and proper flanking 2 all at once, tried to roll back but my last two saves wouldn't work.
Delete them. Install older version. Roll back in unity manager is not working for me. Also check mod folder. Maybe conflict folders ( new call of wild created new folder for raisins) don't forget to back up before tinkering.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Just look at this shit:
mjSKqvo.png

Fooking hell. What a fool I've been. I can't believe I missed this ability. I've been playing Pathfinder for years now, and I managed to miss something as simple as that, LOL!

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Fooking hell. What a fool I've been. I can't believe I missed this ability.

One more year and you will reach proper "why I need tanks with damage like this" mentality.
The thing with Jaethal is that I really love her character and VA. So I always figure out a way to make her fit into the team. Her and Valerie. In my current unfair run I have Valerie as 1 TSS/19 Thundercaller(Bard subclass), and Jaethal is just a fighter. Who I am building to be a two handed scythe user. But for now she is regulated for sword and board. So basically the build will be like 1 inquisitor/19 Fighter(Base Fighter). I might spalsh stawlart defender, but it depends on how good those advanced fighter feats are. Another one I enjoy having around is Harrim. Harrim being a cleric is always useful. I was considering making him a two handed fighter, Jaethal a cleric, and Valerie a tank. But thought against it, mainly because having a cleric in early unfair is required. Unless you hire a mercenary cleric, but bump that noise. Rest of the other companions are just filler. Although Amiri is starting to grow on me.

The fun part about this game is making your favorite companions work in a desired team comp.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Imho, if your PC is decent enough (SSD + 16+GB RAM + 4+CPU cores)

:shredder:

I'm running isometric (or not) cRPG looking better and with more content than Kingmaker with less than 2s loading time.

If that shit needs SSD, it's not the natural order of things, it's devs incompetence.

Oh, wait, we have SSD, who the fuck need assets compression anymore ?

Where the Hell are Lee Harvey Oswald and Ravaillac when we need them ?

Daidre

Arcane
I'm running isometric (or not) cRPG looking better and with more content than Kingmaker with less than 2s loading time.

If that shit needs SSD, it's not the natural order of things, it's devs incompetence.

Oh, wait, we have SSD, who the fuck need assets compression anymore ?

Yes, such approach in game development saddens me too. Greatly so, as I am obsessive performance tuner professionally.

Still, I love some games, written in Unity-spaghetti-code, enough to upgrade my PC to raw processing power way beyond one needed (in rational universe) to play old-school isometric RPG.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
The basic gist of it is rage. Rage gives a +2 bonus towards melee attack rolls, damage, and will save throws. This thing is basically a real game changer. I usually play my fighters by enlarging them and hiding them behind Jaethal (Jaethal is my go to tank. Valerie is second go to tank.). However, with the high strength + power attack + rage + other bonuses. You can just charge in on an enemy and immediately one shot it. Its quite rare for most enemies survive a charge. Of course since its unfair you're probably going to get an unlucky crit to the face. Nonetheless this set up has allowed me to play far more aggressively than I could in the past. Its a breath of fresh air to be able to play like a monk, where I can just charge and poop on enemies.

Armored Hulk was chosen purely for Resilience of Steel, which helps mitigate the chances of getting a crit to the face. 3 levels into fighter was mainly for armor training and extra feats. I'm still figuring out rage powers, but am set on the beast totem (Mainly for natural armor bonuses and pounce). Suffice to say this build is quite fun, and might be able to compete with my strength based monks. I don't know how I ever missed rage.... Or rage powers.... fack this is what one thousand hours of playing monk does to your brain.
Increased damage output alone (and Rage doesn't do that much) doesn't mitigate damage to the extent that a Barb tank is as effective as simply not getting hit in the first place. Your Barb is going to have a very low AC ceiling and you are simply going to be resting all the time as a result of that. If you don't mind that, then of course there's nothing wrong with it. But that doesn't make it a super effective tank.

Sprinting toward the finish of Varnhold's Lot. Thus far, it's a pretty good DLC. I decided to make custom companions for the DLC, and my god does it show in my team's performance. Even though my unorthodox party in the main campaign is doing great, having a custom team that synergies (even if only 2/3), makes a massive difference. The one source of decline in the DLC though, is the amorous dialogue options. It's so bad, out of place, and constant. The main campaign had it bad enough, but the cancer spread to the DLC too. While I was ambivalent about RPG romances before, I think Owlcat has turned me against them.

Yosharian

Arcane
I think it's because the Animal Companion scales differently, it's normal...probably.

How do you get 8th level spells on an MT?

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
1. Empyrean Sorcerer/Ecclesitheurge/Mystic Theurge - Question here, Ladies and Gentlemen - Does the Channel Energy stemming from the Sorcerer stack with the ones from the Ecclesitheurge?
This is Tristian. As in "Tristian the Fire Lord" build from GOG. But what do you mean by "Channel Energy from the Sorcerer"?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didn't even hear about this game until around 6 months ago and I just got around to playing it now...goddamn, how the hell did it slide under my radar? Although I'm kind of glad it did considering what I've read about the initial release and how buggy it was. But really, a top-down isometric infinity engine inspired 100+ hour RPG with kingdom management elements? This was basically guaranteed to go on my top 10 list somewhere. I'm 90 hours in and I still have 3 chapters left, and I already know I'm going to play through this again to clean up things I screwed up early on.

Okay I wasn't that surprised when I came across the RPGCodex nod but this I wasn't expecting.

yBP6ZeM.jpg

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS SLANDER?

kX2jAQD.png

Only 7 micro-issues remain!

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron

Increased damage output alone (and Rage doesn't do that much) doesn't mitigate damage to the extent that a Barb tank is as effective as simply not getting hit in the first place. Your Barb is going to have a very low AC ceiling and you are simply going to be resting all the time as a result of that. If you don't mind that, then of course there's nothing wrong with it. But that doesn't make it a super effective tank.
>Your Barb is going to have a very low AC ceiling
You'd think so on Unfair. Heck this might even be true. However, it isn't, even on Unfair. If you can hit that sweet spot between 60-70 AC on Unfair, then you're good. Compounded with a +8 belt, onslaught, and legendary proportions; then this is easily achievable. Consider Valerie being able to hit around 68 AC on level 16 if I remember right:
BbtjG8L.png

Even 50 AC is serviceable:
TzcyqiH.png

No amount of AC will prevent you from eating a crit of course. However that's not the point. You're not supposed to sit there and gather aggro then soak up damage on Unfair. You're supposed to set up for ways in which you can do the most damage upon enemies. For example, choke points, choke points are used on Unfair to funnel enemies through a narrow pathway in order to abuse the flanking bonuses. But that isn't the point. The point is that the best defense is a good offense on Unfair. If you can kill an enemy fast enough within two to three rounds, then you don't need to worry about taking damage.

And this is achieved by Power attack. Power Attack is by far the most incredible means of dealing big damage. Let's put this into perspective. Power attack allows you to gain a +2 bonus on all melee damage rolls, which is further increased by 50% if you're using a two handed weapon. Compound that with a high strength user, and you will be doing stupid amounts of damage. Throw in rage and other bonuses to the mix and it gets even more stupid. By they way, rage's potency gets better and better the more you level up barbarian. At level 13 the rage bonuses increases to +3. It doesn't really matter which Barbarian you chose, although admittedly pack master would be a better fit. On top of rage bonuses, there are also rage powers too. Still figuring those out, but I seem to like the idea of pounce and reckless stance. Too bad the other totems never made it into the game. Though this won't sway vivi dippers, vivi dippers going to vivi dip.

Anyways, the point that I am trying to get across is that the interaction between power attack and strength is amazing. It's why power attack + dragon style on monk is my favorite build. It's what facilitates non sword saint builds to do big dick damage.

>going to be resting all the time as a result of that
You only need to wait 50 seconds after the battle. Then you can rage again. Level 17 barbarian completely negates being fatigued after rage. There are also specific items that are tailored specifically to barbarians in game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom