Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Wildcards DLC has poor reviews on steam and GOG. Is the new companion that bad?
It has 68%. The base game has 69%.

Anything below 70% is bad
:timcain:

Not a single codex top 50 rpg has below a 70% on steam or 4.0 on GOG

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

All of Tim Cains games have over 90% positive on steam. He would be ashamed to be below 70%

PrettyDeadman

Wildcards DLC has poor reviews on steam and GOG. Is the new companion that bad?
It has 68%. The base game has 69%.

Anything below 70% is bad
:timcain:

Not a single codex top 50 rpg has below a 70% on steam or 4.0 on GOG

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453
They were released before day X. Back then rating didn't really mean anything, you could've had good games with high rating and bad games with rating. Nowdays if game is popular and has rating of 70+ you can almost guarantee it's garbage. Good games exists almost exlusively in 70- rating brackets. This is very similar to user aggregators for movies scores like IMDB.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Not a single codex top 25 rpg between 2012-2016 has below an 80% positive score on steam. Kingmaker has below 70%.

15468.jpg

Thonius

Arcane
I mean I don't want to sound super defensive about this game. But you ever tried to read some of the reviews? a) 1000h did not like it. b) Could not skip tutorial area( Jalmari mansion) c) I'm PnP veteran yet i'm killed at unfair difficulty e)REEEEEEE. And mix of those. Sure reviews about bugs are real and valid at the moment. But with 1.2 coming up they are soon to be obsolete.
Also this list is retarded. Xenanauts RPG? What? FTL?WTF!

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I mean I don't want to sound super defensive about this game. But you ever tried to read some of the reviews?.

Just now

I've been playing computer role playing games for over 30 years. In all that time I have never felt compelled to leave a negative review for a game. Kingmaker is a tremendous lost opportunity.

The Good:
  1. Character creation and leveling follow the pathfinder ruleset closely.
  2. Combat mechanics are satisfying (despite being real time with pause, instead of turn-based).
  3. Custom party formation is a welcome quality of life feature.
  4. High fidelity graphics and visual effects.

The Bad:
  1. Encounter design is terrible.
  2. Kingdom management is a tedious and joyless experience. The option to play with it disabled doesn't work. There are many cases where you can lose the game by "misplaying" this mechanic, without explanation.
  3. Maps are reused 4-5 times in places.
  4. Very slow party travel across maps, with no ability to change walk speed.
  5. Choices have consequences, which would be great if you were given a clue what they were.
  6. Alignment based dialogue is poorly thought out and forces the player to 'roleplay' according to Owlcat's definition of alignment, which is often wrong.
  7. Enforced encumberance forces you to leave valuable loot behind.
  8. +5 weapons, worth thousands of GP, can be found in barrels and crates in towns during the end game.
  9. Annoying toy chow dogs barking, and NPCs coughing and grumbling at every other rest location. Are these quaint and relaxing sounds in Russia?
  10. Heavy, expensive, and limited 'camping provisions' are required to rest in dungeons.
  11. No ability to craft + poor itemization and very limited vendor selection.
  12. Random encounters offer almost no XP, and a bunch of loot you can't carry.
  13. Failure to resolve quests before deadlines results in losing the game.
  14. Tedious unsatisfying puzzles.
  15. Custom quests are poorly described, requiring unintuitive actions from the player (like using torches to kill swarms).
  16. If your character isn't charisma (CHA) focused you'll miss out on an entire level of party XP because you can't make the throne room event skill checks.
  17. Unbearable load times. Frequent required trips back to your throne room to solve kingdom management issues makes this especially painful.
  18. XP is doled out at certain times and locations only, like a bad CYOA novel. You cannot farm meaningful amounts of XP to level your party using random encounters.
  19. The game ends abruptly before you can maximize your character's level.
  20. Inumerable bugs, many of which are game breaking.

I lost two long games to game breaking and quest ending bugs.

I considered not leaving this review in the hopes that more people would buy this game, complain, and perhaps as a result Owlcat would fix their mess. Instead they ignored the obvious deep flaws with their game and put out a DLC.

Thonius

Arcane
One of those I was playing for X years.... yeah sure kido. Half of issues is just personal shit. Oh muh provisions, I could not reach max lvl reee, I made brute and I could not into diplomacy reeeeeee.
Also please add link to review I'm sure he sinked 300 hours into the game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Choices have consequences, which would be great if you were given a clue what they were.

how is this 'bad'? Why should a game tell you exactly what consequences a choice will have?
Heavy, expensive, and limited 'camping provisions' are required to rest in dungeons.
wahh I can't rest spam
No ability to craft
And that's a good thing
Failure to resolve quests before deadlines results in losing the game.
Why can't I just go around picking flowers while my kingdom is being ravaged by trolls????
If your character isn't charisma (CHA) focused you'll miss out on an entire level of party XP because you can't make the throne room event skill checks.
how come my uncharismatic character can't influence people??

Shadenuat

Arcane
Their negatives = Codex positives, in almost 1:1 ratio
+5 weapons, worth thousands of GP, can be found in barrels and crates in towns during the end game.
this one is the only one I truly dislike, item distribution is too important for d&d murderhoboing to mess it up

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Most reviews read like 'the straw that broke the camels back'

It starts off good, but the general bugs, tediousness, and poor design build up, and the quality of the chapters declines the further in you get. After # of hours it becomes too much, and the slightest thing sets people off.

Okagron

Prophet
People should take Steam reviews with a fucking huge grain of salt. Most of the time they just say something is terrible, but don't give any examples to why.

Deleted Member 16721

Negative Steam reviews are the lowest of the low. Just go look at some Lords of Xulima reviews. They complain it's unbalanced because they can't kill the ogre near the starting town. You know, the one that says it's IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL RIGHT ABOVE IT"S FUCKING HEAD. Yeah, that's the level of a Steam negative review. They are beyond garbage, and trust me, I've read enough of them to know.

Gregz

Arcane
People should take Steam reviews with a fucking huge grain of salt. Most of the time they just say something is terrible, but don't give any examples to why.

That was my review upthread. I gave 20 reasons why the game sucks, and that was only because I tried to keep the list short.

Pathfinder is an excellent system, Kingmaker is a terrible game.

btw, total steam reviews have dropped down to 'Mixed', which is pretty generous. Most of the positive reviews you see are from people who haven't even moved past the initial chapters. Even people in this thread, like fluent, have barely got past chapter 4. You guys are in for some ugly surprises.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected

It doesn't matter.

People will endure a lot of minor bullshit if the overrall experience is good. If they leave a negative review, then the overall experience wasn't good enough to overlook all the minor bullshit.

Ask yourself why a broken janky asf game like New Vegas has a 95% review score and Kingmaker only has a 69%.

Deleted Member 16721

There's opinions and there's flat out being wrong. I dare you to go read a bunch of the negative reviews and see how people whine after they ragequit a tough encounter after 200 hours. The game is too hard for most casuals. PoE will always get better reviews because you can breeze through it. New CRPGs that are difficult yet also appeal or get bought by a lot of casuals will get mixed reviews, because people don't understand the game and think it's another Easy Street RPG. Look at ELEX, too. A lot of casuals bought it thinking it was another Skyrim and whined and cried in the negative reviews that it was unbalanced. People don't understand the design philosophy of these hardcore CRPGs, unless it's us niche nerds, but casuals get lost. That is why I believe hardcore CRPGs need more "philosophy tutorials" to explain to people why the game is built like it is. Otherwise you get negative reviews from people who have no idea what the game is about and fail to understand it. And that is the 100% truth.

Deleted Member 16721

Gregz, I like you, but you're wrong about Kingmaker. Go play it a second time as a new class. Embrace the incline. Let the chant of the Holy Order of Owlcat indulge in your being. Hoo...hoo...

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
The difficulty excuse is the saddest of them all.

There are hundreds of difficult games on steam with great reviews. Kingmaker isn't being trashed because it's difficult, but because it's not fun.

Deleted Member 16721

You just flat out don't get it bud, or you're being purposely obtuse. I'm not going to argue about it, I know what I'm talking about, I've been reading Steam reviews longer than you've been gaming probably. I know all about it.

Deleted Member 16721

Gregz, I'm still in chapter 5 and I have to hold out because I have 40 episodes to upload in my Let's Nerd (!) How possibly bad can ch. 6 & 7 really be. I can't imagine them being *that* terrible. And besides, what's 2 bad chapters out of 7? The first 5 are excellent, which outweighs the bad IMO.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Reminder that only 1% of people have finished the game. The worst completion rate of any CRPG on steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom