Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with The Lord of Nothing DLC

Delterius

Arcane
Also the trashmob situation feels even worse than Kingmaker. I genuinely don't understand this; people have already voiced their distaste for trash mobs, so why do CRPG designers refuse to listen?
conversely crpgs have existed for 30+ years why do players still expect trashless games still

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also the trashmob situation feels even worse than Kingmaker. I genuinely don't understand this; people have already voiced their distaste for trash mobs, so why do CRPG designers refuse to listen?
Play Monster Hunter World? The game is a sequence of essentially boss fights from whom you loot ingredients and upgrade your equipment. No trash fights whatsoever.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have another question.

If I am to keep Camellia as a Spirit Hunter is it necessary for her to take Improved Critical (Rapier)? This increase of the threat range does not stack with the Keen weapon enchantment, and the Mythic gives damage multiplier, not an additional threat range. If she always enchants her weapon why spend 1 normal and 1 Mythic feats for something she already has?

Am I missing anything here?

The same for Arueshalae: if I give her 2 Greater Enduring spells so Aspect of the Falcon lasts for 24 hours - does she need Improved Critical (Longbow) that much?
You're missing that Improved Critical is the prerequisite for the Mythic version.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Also, I'm doing this with a Magus and I'm pretty disappointed Owlcat never implemented the Frostbite spell. This time it seems there aren't even any mods that add the spell. This just feels like a downgrade from Kingmaker with CotW.

conversely crpgs have existed for 30+ years why do players still expect trashless games still
Good point.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You're missing that Improved Critical is the prerequisite for the Mythic version.
Is increasing the crit multiplier by 1 worth 1 normal and 1 Mythic feat? Because this is the only thing that is achieved for the class with the Keen enchantment.
That's a huge damage upgrade on wide crit range weapons. Even moreso on the Trickster path.

Starting to get into the game. Hosilla caused me to reload a few times. I think I was just overextending myself, because up until that point I hadn't rested yet. Once I did, the fight went very smoothly. Going up to L3 of the garrison is giving me some severe graphical crash though. The load screen stays at 68%, but the scene is continuing behind it. I can even select dialogue with the keyboard, it's just hidden behind a load screen. If I try to alt-tab out, my OS GUI goes to hell and I have to hard boot. Lame.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Starting to get into the game. Hosilla caused me to reload a few times. I think I was just overextending myself, because up until that point I hadn't rested yet. Once I did, the fight went very smoothly. Going up to L3 of the garrison is giving me some severe graphical crash though. The load screen stays at 68%, but the scene is continuing behind it. I can even select dialogue with the keyboard, it's just hidden behind a load screen. If I try to alt-tab out, my OS GUI goes to hell and I have to hard boot. Lame.
That sounds kind of like some of the issues people were having with Kingmaker early on. Assuming you've patched up fully, maybe your computer doesn't quite have enough RAM for it/the settings you're using?

That sounds kind of like some of the issues people were having with Kingmaker early on. Assuming you've patched up fully, maybe your computer doesn't quite have enough RAM for it/the settings you're using?
It probably has more to do with me running it in linux. The game has been runnig flawlessly in max settings up to this point. Load times are only about 4 seconds or less. I built this PC in late 2020 and had to buy higher end hardware because the market was picked clean. I will try messing with the video settings though. No idea why it would cause my OS GUI to fail.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It probably has more to do with me running it in linux. The game has been runnig flawlessly in max settings up to this point. Load times are only about 4 seconds or less. I built this PC in late 2020 and had to buy higher end hardware because the market was picked clean. I will try messing with the video settings though. No idea why it would cause my OS GUI to fail.
I don't know whether it helps you or not - but at some point right after release there was a problem with some NVidia cards on Windows. If Wrath was given the FPS limit (like 60 FPS for standard LCD monitors), then the game did not enforce it, but instead the card was overloading itself trying to achieve as many FPS as possible. Back then the solution was to limit FPS through the NVidia control panel instead.

Who knows - maybe you're having some form of that?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Why I can't trigger ranged AoOs? Ranged party members have outflank and snapshot, yet never trigger on a crit from my melees. What am I doing wrong?

Yosharian

Arcane
Why I can't trigger ranged AoOs? Ranged party members have outflank and snapshot, yet never trigger on a crit from my melees. What am I doing wrong?
The following conditions must be met:

1. Ranged user & melee users must all have Outflank
2. Melee users must be currently flanking the target
3. Ranged user must score a critical threat then confirm it
4. Melee users should get AOOs

If that's not happening then I'm not sure what is wrong

Snapshot is irrelevant

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Snapshot is irrelevant
Wait.
Ranged users, shouldn't they get ranged AoOs with snapshot and outflank if melee crits?

IllusiveBrian

Novice

Snapshot is irrelevant
I think you're thinking of Seize the Moment, Outflank is the one that gives the other person who is flanking your target with you an AoO. He's expecting that since Snap Shot adds threatened tiles for ranged users it should count as flanking with others threatening the same target.

Yosharian

Arcane

Snapshot is irrelevant
Wait.
Ranged users, shouldn't they get ranged AoOs with snapshot and outflank if melee crits?
No. Ranged users technically cannot flank enemies in the sense that the game understands. Only melee users can, and when they do, targets are considered 'flanked' and thus vulnerable to effects that use that status e.g. Sneak Attack

This is why ranged users can never gain the +2/+4 bonus versus flanked enemies.

Edit: actually I haven't tested with Snap Shot. So maybe they can, but I'm sceptical until I see evidence

Yosharian

Arcane

Snapshot is irrelevant
I think you're thinking of Seize the Moment, Outflank is the one that gives the other person who is flanking your target with you an AoO. He's expecting that since Snap Shot adds threatened tiles for ranged users it should count as flanking with others threatening the same target.
Well I admit I haven't tested that but I doubt that ranged users can 'flank' enemies even when they are threatening with Snap Shot. Happy to be proven wrong

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Snapshot is irrelevant
Wait.
No. Ranged users technically cannot flank enemies in the sense that the game understands. Only melee users can, and when they do, targets are considered 'flanked' and thus vulnerable to effects that use that status e.g. Sneak Attack

Are you sure flanking by the ranged user is required for the AoOs to trigger...? The wording of the feat is not clear.

IllusiveBrian

Novice

Snapshot is irrelevant
Wait.

Are you sure flanking by the ranged user is required for the AoOs to trigger...? The wording is not clear.
For Outflank yes
>Whenever you and an ally who also has this feat are flanking the same creature, your flanking bonus on attack rolls increases to +4

For Seize the Moment no
>When an ally who also has this feat confirms a critical hit against an opponent that you also threaten
It says "also threaten" but only you have to threaten it, maybe Yosharian is right and someone else has to be threatening it for the game to count it, but it definitely doesn't have to be the person with a ranged weapon.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Snapshot is irrelevant
Wait.

Are you sure flanking by the ranged user is required for the AoOs to trigger...? The wording is not clear.
For Outflank yes
>Whenever you and an ally who also has this feat are flanking the same creature, your flanking bonus on attack rolls increases to +4
That's the bonus.

Whenever you and an ally who also has this feat are flanking the same creature, your flanking bonus on attack rolls increases to +4. In addition, whenever you score a critical hit against the flanked creature, it provokes an attack of opportunity from your ally.

The second part. Beside if critting with a ranged char would cause AoOs from melee, why wouldn't the inverse happen?

IllusiveBrian

Novice

Snapshot is irrelevant
Wait.

For Outflank yes
That's the bonus.

Whenever you and an ally who also has this feat are flanking the same creature, your flanking bonus on attack rolls increases to +4. In addition, whenever you score a critical hit against the flanked creature, it provokes an attack of opportunity from your ally.

The second part.
Right, a critical hit against the flanked creature. Absent Snap Shot ranged users can't flank any creatures.

Yosharian

Arcane
Are you sure flanking by the ranged user is required for the AoOs to trigger...?
I never said that. I only said that the melee users must be flanking the target. The ranged user with Outflank only has to attack target flanked by melee users who have Outflank

Yosharian

Arcane
Right, a critical hit against the flanked creature. Absent Snap Shot ranged users can't flank any creatures.
You are confusing the act of flanking with the status 'flanked'.

Targets that are currently flanked are considered flanked by all attackers, hence why ranged users can execute Sneak Attacks against flanked targets

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
You are confusing the act of flanking with the status 'flanked'.

Targets that are currently flanked are considered flanked by all attackers, hence why ranged users can execute Sneak Attacks against flanked targets

So ranged AoOs should trigger then...?

Snap shot allows you to threaten enemies with your ranged attacks. This may allow them to flank the target (because they are making a melee attack against something that you threaten), but does not conversely allow you to flank the target if they threaten it.

So I believe that Snap Shot should allow you to give your melee ally the +2 flanking bonus, because the rules in WotR is that any melee attacking something that is threatened by someone else counts as flanking. Outflank should not work for either of you (neither the extra attack on crit nor the +4 attack bonus) since you both don't flank the target, only the melee does. Seize the moment does work because it merely requires you to threaten the enemy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom