Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Please be considerate to others by using spoiler tags, and please don't quote posts that lack spoiler tags on spoiling content.

Thanks.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok I built my Zigguzarat and made the Pillar of Skulls and I got
2 undead companions, Dwarf and the archer lady that is for some reason a slayer instead of a priest...
Damn, I doubt other Mythic paths get such extra content..

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Game is good and very enjoyable, writing is tolerable, but the AP is worse than Kingmaker so the writing suffered.
If anyone has yet to start I would wait 1 month for microissues fixing.

Chippy

~ga♥

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
2 undead companions, Dwarf and the archer lady that is for some reason a slayer instead of a priest...
How did you get
dwarf, I haven’t gotten the option to raise him yet.
haven’t built ziggurat.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How did you get
dwarf, I haven’t gotten the option to raise him yet.
haven’t built ziggurat.
You have to build both things I mentioned.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Damn, now I don't have enough space in party for everyone I want to take as Lich. Me+Regill+Greybor+Camellia+Wenduag+undead
dwarf Staunton
+undead
archer slayer Dalemere
.. who to kick out.. Wenduag? Greybor? Camellia?

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
Another thing I dug up - there are unique conversations for a Green Faith MC - which you can't pick as the game is now. Also, as an aside - feats like Superior Summoning also work on Aivu, so picking a Druid for Azata is more than viable.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Chapel area has put me in a good mood. Large and complex set piece, with enough room to make the improved systems shine. Also decent enemy variety, despite sticking to two tribes.
So here a short review after 35 hours at level 8 (yes I spend A LOT of time in character creators)

The good:
Traps
Wrath has a pretty clever trap defusing system, which is the best way to handle traps in an isometric system I have ever seen. Makes stealth feel very valuable, as the defuse place is disconnected from the trap, and soemtimes the trap is in front of an enemy pack, and the defuse place is behind them.
Character options
A lot of new classes and feats, needs no large explanation
Religion reactivity
You get special dialogue options for your religion quite often, often tied to mechanical bonusses. Very cool when it happens.
Advanced game systems
I never used cure disease and weapon alignment in Kingmaker, in Wrath they are essential. A lot of gameplay systems which were neglected in Kingmaker are fledged out here
Bossfights
There are a few stinkers who go down without thought, but in general hard fights are better than in Kingmaker. In Kingmaker I never really had to adapt my strategy, apart from prebuffing differently. Here I entered the same fights with the same buffs running, and vastly different outcomes. The more complex characters with more spells and spell like activities mean you make more menaingfull choices during combat, and no longer just faceroll everything on haste and fifteen buffs. This however also means that the bossfights are balanced around you being on fifteen buffs as a baseline, in order to give you that decision room.
Loot
No longer are some weapon categories strangely neglected, and I like the approach to low level magical loot this game takes. +1d3 elemental damage or inflicting mean status effects only on a crit are pretty cool to make +1 equipment with some flavor.
Way better random encounters
Most of them are much weaker, and less frequent than in Kingmaker. Also they use special very small random encounter maps now, so less time wasted on exiting the random encounter map afterwards

The slightly better than KM:
Crusade
Wannabe HoMM is not really good, but it is a lot faster than the Kingdom builder. Also it is less disconnected from the actual rtwp gameplay, moments like the swarm are pretty good ways to link both together. Beats taking -3 to all kingdom stats for not investigating the next crisis fast enough.
Resting
Corruption is better than hauling heavy ass rations around. It can be annoying still, but if you run on long buffs you never really get even level 1 corruption, and it is a lot less annoying than managing carry weight. Also it is less easy to bypass than food, with a few magical bags you can easily haul 60+ rations in Kingmaker and return to rest spam after every encounter. Corruption makes resting sparcily stay a good practise throughout the game.
Companions
Companions got more polarising. The good ones are good, while Kingmaker was Nok Nok > rest Wrath has multiple characters which are fun to listen to for me. I find myself skipping their ESL walls of text much less often than in Kingmaker. The bad ones are however really bad, I want a good third of the companions I got drawn and quartered, a feeling I never had with any of the Kingmaker companions. This makes passages more painfull where the game forces unliked characters on you, but the companion quests of those you like are more fun. Overall an improvement as soon as you get a party of 5 doods you like.

The worse than Kingmaker:
Trash fights
Game was designed around being in RTWP in every fight that is not a miniboss. Playing Kingmaker in pure turn based is feasible, playing Wrath in pure TB is brain rot
The Woke
Game is aggressively cringe at times, I don't care much about culture war, but I think aspects of this will not age well
Content Drought
There is way less real designed game to this. To hide how few of the locations are visitable they now sprinkle locations onto the map where you can literally just gather a few cooking ingredients. Pathetic.
The Padding
With the lesser amount of meaningfull side locations at times it feels like the game is wasting your time. Not a pleasant feeling. Everything which you do not have to visit is on the quality level of post Vordakai side locations (single fight and loot), or a literal gathering spot.

This is everything that came to mind from the top of my head. A lot of improvements, but some steps back in fairly important areas. Three steps ahead, but a knee bruised in the process.
Overall I think this is better than Kingmaker, I wonder if this sentiment will hold up as I get further through the game.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I disagree Thac0. Kingmaker had better companions, better voice acting and better companion quests and arc. I have the same sentiment towards some companions, plain dislike but yet cannot do without them because there is no other options (exept mercenaries).
Also how do you like more the crusade thing, which is plain broken at the moment, and completely unbalanced (wizard generals) over the card thing in Kingmaker, which yes it was simpler but at least felt less intrusive.

On most other points I agree with you and I want to add that the soundtrack is much better than Kingmaker (not that Kingamer OST was bad but we are on another level here).

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I'm now in Act 3, and the writing has improved from the first and second act but it's still a bit too long-winded and can be more cringy than in Kingmaker. I do wonder if they had actual editor working on Kingmaker, and didn't hire them again for WOTR, as this reeks of the typical "We don't need no editors!" shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Thac0
Content Drought
There is way less real designed game to this. To hide how few of the locations are visitable they now sprinkle locations onto the map where you can literally just gather a few cooking ingredients. Pathetic.
The Padding
With the lesser amount of meaningfull side locations at times it feels like the game is wasting your time. Not a pleasant feeling. Everything which you do not have to visit is on the quality level of post Vordakai side locations (single fight and loot), or a literal gathering spot.
I would guess you are still in Act 2. It is shorter part of the game. Act 3 is what you want.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Act 3 doesn't really have a lot of locations to visit honestly, Kingmaker felt had more.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
Act 3 doesn't really have a lot of locations to visit honestly, Kingmaker felt had more.

Remember that 3 DLC are coming + the inevitable Definitive Edition. And since the game apparently is selling much better than Kingmaker, there is hope that Owlcat will utilise those newfound resources to expand upon and polish the game.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Remember that 3 DLC are coming + the inevitable Definitive Edition. And since the game apparently is selling much better than Kingmaker, there is hope that Owlcat will utilise those newfound resources to expand upon and polish the game.

They should probably start by re-implementing the cut content you mentioned.

Then again, Nurah as a companion would probably give me an aneurysm.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, I clearly chose to attack Drezen through the dungeon, and now I'm entering through the main gate. I wonder if it may be a bug related to having discovered Nurah's secret, because I did that before the attack.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Ivory Sanctum>>>>
let’s copy and paste these bullshit enemies in every room

I really didn’t want to download the auto-buffer mod but I literally cast the same spells for every single fight at this point it’s getting tiresome

Codex Year of the Donut
I really didn’t want to download the auto-buffer mod but I literally cast the same spells for every single fight at this point it’s getting tiresome
Untitled.jpg

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I disagree Thac0. Kingmaker had better companions, better voice acting and better companion quests and arc. I have the same sentiment towards some companions, plain dislike but yet cannot do without them because there is no other options (exept mercenaries).
Also how do you like more the crusade thing, which is plain broken at the moment, and completely unbalanced (wizard generals) over the card thing in Kingmaker, which yes it was simpler but at least felt less intrusive.

On most other points I agree with you and I want to add that the soundtrack is much better than Kingmaker (not that Kingamer OST was bad but we are on another level here).

Daraen, Wenduag and Ember are all as good as Nok Nok if you can stand their bullshit.
Those three routinely have amazing dialogue chains where they answer each other 2-3 times over morality on alignment choices.
The writing there gets better than all of Kingmaker, but I guess not many people run 2 neutral evils together with a neutral good.

Also Avellone probably having written one character opens a quite interesting conundrum. Which one is the Avellone character here? I could spot them pretty well in Torment and Kingmaker, here it is harder. I think Daraen is by him, but hard to tell since I like so many now. I will probably open a poll after beating the game, would make for an interesting gamble, as we will not hear the answer until the court stuff is over.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Daraen, Wenduag and Ember are all as good as Nok Nok if you can stand their bullshit.
Those three routinely have amazing dialogue chains where they answer each other 2-3 times over morality on alignment choices.
The writing there gets better than all of Kingmaker, but I guess not many people run 2 neutral evils together with a neutral good.

Also Avellone probably having written one character opens a quite interesting conundrum. Which one is the Avellone character here? I could spot them pretty well in Torment and Kingmaker, here it is harder. I think Daraen is by him, but hard to tell since I like so many now. I will probably open a poll after beating the game, would make for an interesting gamble, as we will not hear the answer until the court stuff is over.

The devs said somewhere that Avellone came up with Nenio's concept but the character was written by someone else. If she'd been written by Avellone, I can see it working but now she's just very insuffarabble.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
The devs said somewhere that Avellone came up with Nenio's concept but the character was written by someone else. If she'd been written by Avellone, I can see it working but now she's just very insuffarabble.

Oh god, Nenio is awfull. She won the award of being my fullcaster by being barely less annoying than the Tiefling trickster faggot. Also that guy threw rocks at Ember as a child, which is not nice.
I am honestly contemplating of replacing her with a faceless merc, but illusion mage is pretty fun to play.
Might ratio Camellia aswell, her backstory with the noble stuff has been pretty good so far, but I do not dig the separate carnage fetishist thing she has going on.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Untitled.jpg

Sawyer """""""solution"""""""" is way worse than the pre buffing """problem""".

Just make enemies cast dispel, disjunction, great dispel and so on on the player. Imagine the following dialog :

Fighter - Hey Druid, cast protection from poison, we are in the forest of deadly poisons
Druid - I can't, you need to be in combat to that spell wrok
Fighter - Fine, I will attack you, then you will cast and we will end the combat
Druid - That wound't work. The spell will wear off suddenly after the combat ends by no good reason
Fighter - Fine, I will adventure in this forest without protection.
(...)
Few moments later
Druid : Ohhh no, the Fighter guy is dead. Now I need to find a random rabbit to engage combat, so I can cast Resurrection on him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom