Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, no! Our plan is slowly being unraveled! Making (allegedly) good RPGs with the sole purpose of turning people gay. I knew it was too risky, I told them!

very honest counter-Argument. Really now, I am not seeing that the problem is that big here but nobody said anything about turning people gay. Why are these discussions always so dishonest.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Btw funny how our resident horny lich in bg3 thread is "gaem starts with lvl 1 character captured by mind flayers! IMPOSSIBRU!" In Wrath lvl 1 character pew-pew from xir crossbow literal demon lord i.e. godlike being and survives "nah, it's ok. happens all the time"

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yes see, this is why it's a pointless exercise for me to go back to every moment I saw was clearly idiotic to provide you with examples. You are going to warp each and every one it into an ol' Desiderius "ashkully here is why it's based and subversive".
It's not subversive, she literally has a background feat "aristocrat" (hence rapier training), and thats her (at least on the outside) character. Even when you take other companions, say Ember, she begins to REEEEEEE on u and interject.
i don't remember much of her writing because I consider her a worse fanfiction than dragonspear inserts, but your argument that there is not a single reason for her to talk all the time is not correct.
(it doesn't excuse overall graphomania in the game: but if there was to be graphomania, it's characters like Kamelia and Daeran who should reeeee the most)

There's not nearly enough tension given that it's a life or death situation, and might as well be the end of the world.
Kamelia doesn't care fuck tho, because her actual personality cares fuck about end of the world really. Even her voice acting shows that she enjoys whats happening around.
You'd know why and what she is if you played to Ch 3.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, no! Our plan is slowly being unraveled! Making (allegedly) good RPGs with the sole purpose of turning people gay. I knew it was too risky, I told them!

very honest counter-Argument. Really now, I am not seeing that the problem is that big here but nobody said anything about turning people gay. Why are these discussions always so dishonest.
I'm just saying what the ultimate goal was during cultist meetings. It's just part of the gay agenda.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Makes total sense, if you are a one-dimensional character with shitty writing.
She's not one-dimensional per se. She has a secret. All that she tells you is an obvious deflection.

That said, the scene still makes no sense because of the lack of tension. The writer was too focused on her gimmick and not on the story itself.

I normally wouldn't focus on this if it weren't a consistent flaw imo. And I find it frustrating that they took the time to add so many gay characters, but didn't bother to make the writing better.

Saravan

Savant
Yes see, this is why it's a pointless exercise for me to go back to every moment I saw was clearly idiotic to provide you with examples. You are going to warp each and every one it into an ol' Desiderius "ashkully here is why it's based and subversive".
It's not subversive, she literally has a background feat "aristocrat" (hence rapier training), and thats her (at least on the outside) character. Even when you take other companions, say Ember, she begins to REEEEEEE on u and interject.
i don't remember much of her writing because I consider her a worse fanfiction than dragonspear inserts, but your argument that there is not a single reason for her to talk all the time is not correct.
(it doesn't excuse overall graphomania in the game: but if there was to be graphomania, it's characters like Kamelia and Daeran who should reeeee the most)

Ok Shadenuat, so seeing one of the strongest demons in the setting split the earth and you falling down towards it doesn't phase you out of calmly telling your life story. Makes complete sense because the character is an aristocrat. Yep, makes total sense, such great writing there.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Ok Shadenuat, so seeing one of the strongest demons in the setting split the earth and you falling down towards it doesn't phase you out of calmly telling your life story makes complete sense because the character is an aristocrat. Yep, makes total sense, such great writing there.
For a good contrast, look at BG3. All the time you're aboard the nautiloid in the intro, characters speak to you with a sense of urgency.

Urgency is completely lacking in WotR. The plot takes you from a calm celebration to the end of the world, then it dumps you far beneath the earth and suddenly calms down for no reason.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Playing through leper's smile hypes up a swarm-that-walks way more than any of the trailers or dev teases ever could. That's what you become? Damn... No wonder everyone is disgusted by you and hates you in that playthrough

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
If you want good writing go read a book, no video game ever compares story wise to books or even movies. I'm here to kill swarms of flesh eating locusts. If you want gameplay come on in. If you want story go do something conducive to that. Story-whores are probably why voice acting exists....

volklore

Arcane

Ok Shadenuat, so seeing one of the strongest demons in the setting split the earth and you falling down towards it doesn't phase you out of calmly telling your life story. Makes complete sense because the character is an aristocrat. Yep, makes total sense, such great writing there.

It's just Owlcat writing. I works better for whimsical adventuring than this high stakes end of world act 1. Camelia doesn't seem to care much or be phased at all by the demons pouring out of the skies tbh. From the get go. I don't see why you can't write a characters like that in a fantasy game. In general most characters don't seem to care much because they are the crusader lands and they shave off demon attacks for breakfast - That's just a harder breakfast to swallow, like a full english :D. I do not think the writing is great mind you, but it's setting and tone coherent.

Shadenuat

Arcane
so seeing one of the strongest demons in the setting split the earth and you falling down towards it doesn't phase you out of calmly telling your life story. Makes complete sense because the character is an aristocrat. Yep, makes total sense
Demons split the earth in this place every friday, this is 5th crusade. But if you want

look at BG3. All the time you're aboard the nautiloid in the intro, characters speak to you with a sense of urgency.
companions to only speak the same goddamn like about brain bug in their heads for half of gaem sure, there is game for you.

Camelia doesn't seem to care much or be phased at all by the demons pouring out of the skies tbh.
She cares - she actually enjoys all the bloodshed around, as per her VO.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I feel plenty of tension when there are 3 swarms coming at me from the front and 3 from the back.

Also I feel like the writing is fine. Who the fuck wants companions that are going to bitch and cry the entire game? I inspired them and hope lives on, they should act like it. The only way an army could ever survive that long in those conditions is with good morale, and they have good enough morale

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If you want good writing go read a book, no video game ever compares story wise to books or even movies. I'm here to kill swarms of flesh eating locusts. If you want gameplay come on in. If you want story go do something conducive to that. Story-whores are probably why voice acting exists....

All infinity engine games had better writing, PST especially, Disco Elysium has stellar writing, so you're plainly wrong

Saravan

Savant
so seeing one of the strongest demons in the setting split the earth and you falling down towards it doesn't phase you out of calmly telling your life story. Makes complete sense because the character is an aristocrat. Yep, makes total sense
Demons split the earth in this place every friday, this is 5th crusade. But if you want

look at BG3. All the time you're aboard the nautiloid in the intro, characters speak to you with a sense of urgency.
companions to only speak the same goddamn like about brain bug in their heads for half of gaem sure, there is game for you.

Camelia doesn't seem to care much or be phased at all by the demons pouring out of the skies tbh.
She cares - she actually enjoys all the bloodshed around, as per her VO.

Proving my point of what an absolute blind fanboy you are who can't even see past this simple example of bad writing.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

All infinity engine games had better writing, PST especially, Disco Elysium has stellar writing, so you're plainly wrong
Spoken like someone who has never read a good book. PST is only good by video game and choose your own adventure standards. Also lol at disco elysium

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Spoken like someone who has never read a good book. PST is only good by video game and choose your own adventure standards. Also lol at disco elysium

I've read more books than you've probably ever seen in your life

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

I've read more books than you've probably ever seen in your life
And yet you're impressed with Disco Elysium. curious.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
What they're willing to talk about depends on your level of influence with them. Unlike in Pathfinder, they're not willing to trust you with their entire backstory upon first meeting you.

The tadpoles are all you have in common and are the most important threat to any of you. Even still, that's an exaggeration to say it's all they talk about.

Btw you glossed over my point about urgency. Nice deflection.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Btw funny how our resident horny lich in bg3 thread is "gaem starts with lvl 1 character captured by mind flayers! IMPOSSIBRU!" In Wrath lvl 1 character pew-pew from xir crossbow literal demon lord i.e. godlike being and survives "nah, it's ok. happens all the time"
BG has a particular connotation to it, there is something we expect from these games.
Wrath openly stated it's a TOB munchkin game.

And by the way,

you will learn about that crossbow shooting in Chapter 3+.

Unlike in Pathfinder, they're not willing to trust you with their entire backstory upon first meeting you.
But Kamelia does not trust you with her actual backstory when she meets you, for example. If judging book by the cover is your thing, well, Kamelia actually succeeds.

It's not that her or other meh characters are good.

The problem is that your people arguments against them are even worse.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I finally got past the character creation screen and... the state of this game is unacceptable. It's childish to hope for a game without bugs in this day and age, but the fact that 75% of what's in this game already was in Kingmaker makes it ridiculous. It's basically the same game, but now there are even more bugs. Two things are driving me crazy right now:
- I can't seem to understand how to turn off Power Attack in TB mode (I disable it at the start of my turn, but nothing happens);
- sometimes, enemies provoke AoOs outside of their turns without doing anything.

Come on, Owlcat, get your shit together.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I finally got past the character creation screen and... the state of this game is unacceptable. It's childish to hope for a game without bugs in this day and age, but the fact that 75% of what's in this game already was in Kingmaker makes it ridiculous. It's basically the same game, but now there are even more bugs. Two things are driving me crazy right now:
- I can't seem to understand how to turn off Power Attack in TB mode (I disable it at the start of my turn, but nothing happens);
- sometimes, enemies provoke AoOs outside of their turns without doing anything.

Come on, Owlcat, get your shit together.
Super easy solution. Turn off turn based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom