Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paul Neurath to develop Ultima Underworld spiritual successor: Underworld Ascension

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Around 45 minutes in the video:

Neurath: ...because Underworld was for its day more typical as a broad kind of experience. You got magic, combat, story, NPC dialog, inventory, and items, and those were like checkboxes. You had to have all those things to call it a role playing game, which in hindsight, is no, you don't really, and that is where Thief came from. What if we wanted to create a first person game that had some story elements, but it's not a full role playing game, and you don't have all those trappings of a traditional role playing game...

Interviewer: Let's focus this down and get rid of some of that, right? Is it fair to say that's one of the things you want to go back and change about Underworld? Maybe regret is too strong of a word, but that seems like maybe you feel the game could have had less of those traditional... all the stuff that you thought you had to have to make an RPG back in that time.

Neurath: I think that had we been more willing to forego some of the more traditional RPG trappings.... In hindsight, the character generation, telling you the stats for the character, were old school, didn't really fit into the game, and weren't part of the experience. Rolling up a character just didn't really-

<stuff about left handed option>

Neurath: We did some interesting things with it. We tied your agility into how you moved around a bit, gave you some bonuses in how you took sword attacks, and stuff like that. So there's some things going on behind the scenes that were very sophisticated for that era. But at a high level, if we had just said "we don't need any of that", I think that in hindsight that would've been smarter. We would have had more time to focus on the immersive experience of being in the dungeon.

Not sure what to make of this.

He's right that the character/stats system in UW, while superficially interesting, ultimately felt kind of vestigial. Game could have been good without it. But of course it could also be improved instead of abandoned.

The team has played many of the modern RPGs; worked on some of them too. So we think we have a good sense of where the genre has evolved over the years, and where there is room for further innovation. We’re definitely going to get the franchise up to date, then push into new territory.

Sounds like he personally has no fucking clue at all any longer. Isn't reassuring at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom