Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paul Neurath to develop Ultima Underworld spiritual successor: Underworld Ascension

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would LOVE a true Ultima Underworld game.... but several quotes concern me:

A lot has changed since 1992 in the RPG space; how are you designing Underworld Ascension for the modern RPG fan?

PN: We've just gotten underway on the Underworld reboot, so we have a ways to go before reaching a fleshed out design. The team has played many of the modern RPGs; worked on some of them too. So we think we have a good sense of where the genre has evolved over the years, and where there is room for further innovation. We’re definitely going to get the franchise up to date, then push into new territory.

What are some of your overarching ambitions for Underworld Ascension?

PN: More than anything, bring the franchise roaring back and more vital than it ever was. We’d like the game to connect with the fans who have fond memories of the originals, but also draw in a new fans.

The original Underworld games have a special place in many RPG fans' hearts; how are you planning to push the franchise forward while also retaining the essence of what makes it unique?

Some of us worked on the originals and so they hold a special place in our hearts. Also, there was a much done well in the originals that we don't want to mess with. Beyond the now dated visuals, the games hold up surprising well all these years later. the same time, we are explore areas where we can extend the original experience in new ways, and hopefully ways that will feel like natural extensions of the original games, but will make for an evolved experience.

What platforms are you looking at for Underworld Ascension?

PN: PC for sure. Still sorting out other potential platforms.

Those quotes just sound like the PR speak I kept hearing from AAA developers at PAX East... :argh:

I would definitely prefer they go the Kickstarter route which would allow them to cater more to the "old school" gamer then going the publisher route and getting Underworld: Skyrim Edition.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
"aiming to innovate and revitalize the fantasy genre in the same way that its predecessor did in 1992"

This is like so totally not going to fail.

Dear idiots. Don't even try to innovate. You might actually make a decent game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
If they are going to use UUW's name then they better innovate and make a game that is both a gameplay and technical marvel

Otherwise don't bother

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
These gentlemen delivered much incline in the past so I'll give them the beneift of the doubt.

It'd be awesome if they could hire Doug Church, who's currently doing whatever it is they do at Valve.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
:takemymoney:

This is excellent news! It's too early for anything other than cautious optimism, but I'm sure I'd definitely back this if they went to Kickstarter.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
If they are going to use UUW's name then they better innovate and make a game that is both a gameplay and technical marvel

Otherwise don't bother

Well, you know how likely this is.

Why innovate when you can make a cool game with things that others or you yourself have already innovated? Things that were cool so many years ago but are totally forgotten? For example, you may make a game where you DON'T get the ability to see through walls at level 2.

majestik12

Arcane
As if modern sequels/successors/reboots/whatever of Thief, System Shock and Deuse Ex were not good for what it is at best.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Holy shit this is fucking huge news. There should be celebrations in the streets and shit. I mean new immersive sim focused studio founded by its actual founders ?
AND MAKING UNDERWORLD ???

Yep, they can have my money. Just don't fuck up please.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
As said in other thread- very excited for this.

Honestly, all I want is a UU -style megadungeon with a better combat system.

And of course, an automap you can jot down notes on. That shit fucking made the game imo

How do you call it when an IP is raped by its very creator?
Bardstalebox.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm willing to believe at this point as they didn't show their hands yet but I won't deny that the buzz words are worrisome, it sounds suspiciously like "the publisher is raping us really hard but we cant tell you guys because we have no real integrity so there are those pretty buzz words for you to think we are liking and agree with the rape." Anyway, it is the first mention of a LGS type game project, the minimum I'm expecting is something on the same level of Arx Fatalis (and Arx Fatalis while decent is nowhere close to UW.).

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I don't get it? Hasn't Neurath been making mobile/Facebook games the past x amount of years? Yes, creative director of Zynga Boston. Why spend years working on a new yet butchered-for-the-masses Underworld game when if money takes priority they can just stick to mobile/Facebook? If you are going to compromise and stain such a beloved series why bother? Let's hope it's indeed PR BS and they are going all-in Immersive Sim.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Holy shit this is fucking huge news. There should be celebrations in the streets and shit. I mean new immersive sim focused studio founded by its actual founders ?
AND MAKING UNDERWORLD ???

Yep, they can have my money. Just don't fuck up please.

And yeah, this.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm torn. Among the reasons UU was good:
* It was a technological marvel and had the 3D movement
* It had non-violent solutions to some puzzles (green and grey goblins)
* Auto-mapping was superb.
* Atmosphere was present through the whole dungeon. Folks on each level had their own culture, and problems. They all longed for what could have been with Lord Cabrius (sp?) and what he was trying to accomplish. Even if the story was shakey, it lead to NPC trolls and other things. It tied the whole story up pretty well, and was pretty tight.
* Sound was good, and the game had destroyable doors and objects.
* Magic system was excellent.

A couple reasons UU2 was good:
* Improved the interface and performance
* Added some interesting locations, like LB's castle and some non dungeon quests
* Kind of a Fighting the Guardian across the Planes game, that would have been a better storyline for U8...

This leads me to believe a Spiritual Successor to UU:
* Doesn't have to be a technological marvel (may not be possible) but Arx Fatalis was "good enough" That is, the genre of FPS dungeons is now old, but not many have even bothered to follow in UU's footsteps, so technological superiority isn't that important. There is a big difference between Arx Fatalis and Oblivion, though. I hope they move on the side of Arx, and work for the "simple complexity" that made UU work.
* Non-violent solutions and interesting quests are a must.
* Overriding story (Sir Caribrius, uh... that swordsman in UU2) made a difference in both UU's. Not so much talking to Iolo or interacting with LB. There was a sense of loss in UU that you got on almost every level. Made you want to keep pushing downward.
* Keep the magic system, or use a Arx Fatalis type magic system. Arx Fatalis' magic system worked for me and added immersion to a FPS RPG, I really liked it (except making certain spells necessary to beat certain mobs.) You can have an option to add Anvil of Dawn type tracing for those too handicapped to handle Arx Fatilis.

And finally, the next UU
* Should pretend that U8 and U9 never happened. Should pick up where U7:SI left off.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
* Doesn't have to be a technological marvel (may not be possible) but Arx Fatalis was "good enough" That is, the genre of FPS dungeons is now old, but not many have even bothered to follow in UU's footsteps, so technological superiority isn't that important.
Yes it is, otherwise don't bother

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
* Keep the magic system, or use a Arx Fatalis type magic system. Arx Fatalis' magic system worked for me and added immersion to a FPS RPG, I really liked it (except making certain spells necessary to beat certain mobs.) You can have an option to add Anvil of Dawn type tracing for those too handicapped to handle Arx Fatilis.

:negative:

The tracing of the runes with the mouse was one big obstacle for me when playing Arx... :oops: I really hope this wound NOT have that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

:negative:

The tracing of the runes with the mouse was one big obstacle for me when playing Arx... :oops: I really hope this wound NOT have that.

Yeah fuck that shit. What a UW3 needs is more rune combinations

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom