Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC game collecting community rocked by game forgery scandal

thesecret1

Arcane
If one collects this sort of stuff for the sake of enjoying old things, then shouldn't something like a good replica of a game manual be just as good as the original? In fact, wouldn't having a brand new replica be better than having some decades old brochure that's likely already deteoriating due to its age? I'd certainly rather "hand down" a freshly printed manual or a game magazine, than some ragged and wrinkly paper salad.

Seems to me like the obsession with having the "Original" (of a mass produced print...) is purely sentimental. Which is fine, though spending thousands of dollars on it strikes me as puzzling.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If one collects this sort of stuff for the sake of enjoying old things, then shouldn't something like a good replica of a game manual be just as good as the original? In fact, wouldn't having a brand new replica be better than having some decades old brochure that's likely already deteoriating due to its age? I'd certainly rather "hand down" a freshly printed manual or a game magazine, than some ragged and wrinkly paper salad.

Seems to me like the obsession with having the "Original" (of a mass produced print...) is purely sentimental. Which is fine, though spending thousands of dollars on it strikes me as puzzling.

Once you understand collecting is for some people like a sports competition that is a win-lose game then it all makes more sense. Reproductions go counter the win-lose nature (I mean if you could just reproduce boxes until all demand is fulfilled, there would be no competition anymore).

NewGuy

Novice
I personally don't see a difference between this case and selling someone a fake watch.
I think that if someone buys a Rolex, receives a fake one, and when returns to the store to complain, he is told "who cares? you didn't notice it was fake when you bought it, did you?", he would be pissed, and rightfully so.
I don't think it's the buyer's job to ascertain the quality of the product. It's the seller's responsibility to provide the product exactly as advertised.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kenneth barely has time to post anything there these days, or when he does it's weeks after it happened.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom