Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gameplay has a 6 page preview of Assasins Creed 2.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Just read a 6 page special on Assasins Creed II in PC Gameplay magazine. Must say that it looks and sounds great. The graphics on the screenshots are spactacular. They focus on the two cities of Florence and Venice with each their own themes and a the region of Toscany which lies in between. Venice for instance having missions within a carnival and thus giving you the chance to move undetected amongst parties and the like.

The missions themselves have become a lot larger and have more goals and submissions to be reached. They also included a lot more side missions and tasks to keep you busy and to build your character with. Interesting is that the game uses Leonardo da Vinci as a mentor and as some sort of gadget master. He even gives you a flying machine to use.

Your repuation plays a bigger role, with you needing to bribe officials, remove wanted posters and the like. As a matter of course they have added a lot more activities in the areas to keep you busy with. By completing them you get to enhance your character, although they didn't explain how.

You can now also swim, and not surprising with a city as venice, it will play a large role in the game. Allowing you to hide and move and drown npc's. The game now also boasts a day and night cyclus, which will have a large impact on your surroundings and the way the missions play.

The selection of enemy troops is expanded, with archers, knights, spearman and militia amongst them. You can now take their weapons off them and use such varied tools of mayhem as spears and axes against their former owners.

All in all it sounds very much like I expected assasins creed 2 to be. More of the same within a new timeframe and with some more possibilities, gadgets and goals. I enjoyed the first game, even though it felt a bit empty after awhile. It seems as though they picked up on that and have provided many more activities to spend time in between missions with. I must say that it doesn't look that much of a step forward, but a solid sequell that improves on it's original seems to be very much a possibility.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Of course it looks and sounds great. How else will you make it look like for the money?

Basically as I take it it will be the exactly same boring crap with fugly one colour art direction and the exactly same quests all around only MOAR.

A typical sequel to a shit.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Major_Boobage said:
haahaha Trash buy's PCgameplay.

Is da nu al uit ? Tis al de volgende maand Oo. Is deze editie de moeite waard, want ik vind de laatste maanden dat er weinig goede spellekes instaan.

Only bought it because of the Assasins Creed special. The mag has been shite for years, but amongst all the other shite it's still the one that smells best.

skyway said:
Of course it looks and sounds great. How else will you make it look like for the money?

Basically as I take it it will be the exactly same boring crap with fugly one colour art direction and the exactly same quests all around only MOAR.

A typical sequel to a shit.

Skyway always knows everything there is to know about a game without even playing it. Most of the games he bitches about have never even been seen by him, let alone played. All of his information on why it will be shit is taken from forums and reviews.

Unless he declares them shit and then plays them like he did with GTA 4. Then they are suddenly fun. Skyway just bitches for bitching sake's.

abdwef

Novice
Venice for instance having missions within a carnival

They also included a lot more side missions and tasks to keep you busy

Interesting is that the game uses Leonardo da Vinci as a mentor and as some sort of gadget master. He even gives you a flying machine to use.

Not to rain on your parade, but I personally think this sounds awful.

When I finished Assassin's Creed, I came away with the thought that the sequel could be outstanding. By reusing the cities from the first game, they could use their development time to flesh the cities out with interesting quests. Think Athkatla from BG2. Now imagine exploring that kind of city in Assassin's Creed.

Plus, it would have been fascinating continuing the story of what Altair did with the Piece of Eden.

I hate Venice as a setting.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trash said:
Unless he declares them shit and then plays them like he did with GTA 4. Then they are suddenly fun. Skyway just bitches for bitching sake's.
Except I always liked GTA 4 (as in "GTA series is the only console thing I can stomach"). Try harder.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If it's STILL not possible to pick up unconscious bodies and carry them away, there's no way stealth will be an option or the game will have any replayability value.

Silellak

Cipher
The first one left me feeling 'meh' - lots of potential, most of it unrealized.

I still have my hopes up that they'll learn from the mistakes made in the first one, but so far the information I've read hasn't convince me one way or the other.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Personally I always thought that the engine from AC1 would be awesome in an (action)rpg. Invest points in your character to make him/her more acrobatic, stronger, faster and do quests for several factions while exploring a beautifull city landscape and it's immediate surroundings.

Still, I did enjoy the first game. Even with its myriad of very apparant flaws. If they manage to flesh the sequell out a bit more and improve on the subject I can certainly see it becoming a very entertaining game.

Fail game.

That pretty much sums it up:
Unskipable cutscene. Altair you have to kill this man... epic camera angles.
Okay, i guess. Oh... it seems i have not enough information..
Collect information by doing repetitive tasks.
Run, Walk, ride, climb to target location.
Kill target. Watch unskipable dying scene.
If killed enough:
return to Anananus(? or whatever shit its called)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Angry teenager detected.

skyway said:
Trash said:
Except I always liked GTA 4 (as in "GTA series is the only console thing I can stomach"). Try harder.

Nah. Almost everytime you get called on your whining you admit you haven't even played the game you whined about. Don't really mind, but it seems to me that spending that much time bitching about stuff you basically don't know shit about could be better spend in other ways. Makes me wonder what you really get out of it.

Chefe

Erudite
To tell the truth, I am kind of looking forward to AC2. The thing that killed the first one for me was the stupid futuristic sequences (I want to play a medieval assassin, not some punk from 20XX hooked up to SCIENCE) and blue 'memory walls' that destroyed the open world - also the fact that you had to ride your horse at a snails pace and every city was a stone's throw away from each other. I was also hoping you'd be able to travel to Europe during the first one, which is a reason I am excited for this taking place in Venice. Really, I'd like to just walk around and check out the sights and architecture, climb on a few buildings, and enjoy the atmosphere. I hope AC is a lot less "gamey" than the first. They really threw away the great potential they had with the first one's location.

Trash said:
Venice for instance having missions within a carnival and thus giving you the chance to move undetected amongst parties and the like.

Five bucks says the big quest there involves you locking someone up in a wine cellar.

They also included a lot more side missions and tasks to keep you busy and to build your character with.

Translation = A bunch of extra crap for you to grind on for hours that artificially lengthens game play.

Interesting is that the game uses Leonardo da Vinci as a mentor and as some sort of gadget master. He even gives you a flying machine to use.

Translation = A token historical figure is reduced to a quest giver, and he's got magic.

Your repuation plays a bigger role, with you needing to bribe officials, remove wanted posters and the like.

Translation = You've got a wanted star. Remove the posters within 3 minutes before the heat take you in.

By completing them you get to enhance your character, although they didn't explain how.

Translation = "I feel stronger."

anyone who's played Tomb Raider AoD knows what the fuck I'm referring to here.

The game now also boasts a day and night cyclus, which will have a large impact on your surroundings and the way the missions play.

Let's hope it lasts longer than a few minutes.

The selection of enemy troops is expanded, with archers, knights, spearman and militia amongst them. You can now take their weapons off them and use such varied tools of mayhem as spears and axes against their former owners.

Sounds good.

Chefe

Erudite
skyway said:
Trash said:

You liked GTA4? What the hell is wrong with you? The boredom factor in that brown turd makes Oblivion look like a masterpiece.

themadhatter

Novice
Trash said:
Your reputation plays a bigger role, with you needing to [...] remove wanted posters and the like.
Personally, I hate to pass judgment on a game that has yet to see a release, but does anyone else have a sinking suspicion that the collect 500-odd flags in Acre "sidequest" just found a new home in AC2?

For my part, certain planned additions to the franchise sound phenomenal (the ability to swim and drown enemies, for instance), however, AC itself severely tainted my view of the developers' capacity to produce anything more than a flashy tech-demo, hence this one will be a dubious-rent game, not a likely purchase.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Chefe said:
Really, I'd like to just walk around and check out the sights and architecture, climb on a few buildings, and enjoy the atmosphere. I hope AC is a lot less "gamey" than the first. They really threw away the great potential they had with the first one's location.

Honestly the look and feel of the old cities in AC1 was done supurb. The old city of Acre and Jeruzalem really are like AC1 portrayed them. Exploring them was the biggest draw of the otherwise extremely mediocre game. I don't think AC2 will be a great game, but I sure do hope they'll manage to convey the looks and feel of the cities again.

Zomg

Arbiter
First one was way overdesigned. The parkour stuff, the combat (kinda shitty, but whatever) plus the blend-in mechanics was plenty, but they went fucking crazy with cutscenes, repetitive GTA quests, framing narratives and X-treme protagonisting.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
abdwef said:
When I finished Assassin's Creed, I came away with the thought that the sequel could be outstanding. By reusing the cities from the first game, they could use their development time to flesh the cities out with interesting quests. Think Athkatla from BG2. Now imagine exploring that kind of city in Assassin's Creed.
Nah if they used the same cities again that be boring. New locales, if done right = win.
Besides, they have like 240 people on their team so they can easily pull off new cities.

Plus, it would have been fascinating continuing the story of what Altair did with the Piece of Eden.
What did he do? He hid the piece and then began rebuilding the assassin's guild. Not much of a story there. I'm sure it will be referenced though.

I hate Venice as a setting.
Your loss.

Multi-headed Cow

Hey, GTA4 is great. Quasi-realistic GTA is more fun than retardo GTA.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I love GTA 4. Probably because it's so polished.

Marcelo21 said:
Lie, san andreas was the best one, I couldn't even finish 4.

Matter of taste. I enjoyed the whole gang banger feel, but playing as a soulless sociopath slavic really made it for me. The whole stealing, driving and killing just gelled together extremely well for me. That's what you get for having Polak neighnours.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I wouldn't call him a sociopath. Rather a jaded criminal who has seen too much of war.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm stuck to Vice City as I really couldn't force myself to finish San Andreas. I might give a try to GTA 4 one day though I really feel no incentive to, and the reports of PC problems do not help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom