Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gameplay has a 6 page preview of Assasins Creed 2.

DefJam101

Arcane
abdwef said:
When I finished Assassin's Creed,

How the fuck did you finish that game?

Other than simulating the experience of being a homicidal parkour practitioner the game was so fucking boring. Even climbing buildings, jumping off them, and cushioning your fall with old Islamic women got boring once you figured out how shallow the control system was.

DefJam101

Arcane
Trash said:
Exploring them was the biggest draw of the otherwise extremely mediocre game.

They certainly looked nice, but there were very few attention-grabbing areas or landmarks to check out. After you saw one street filled with shuffling plebs you'd seen them all. All that was left was to climb a building, sit on it, see another building that was kind of tall, say, "I want to go over there, now," jump down, and start climbing again.

There needs to be small interesting details in order for the cities to have life. You can capture the 'feel' of a city through aesthetics but none of that matters when you've saved the same peasant lady from oppressive guards 15 times in a row. Unique shops, characters, sporting events, conflicts, and quests are what AC needs IMHO.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
DefJam101 said:
Trash said:

They certainly looked nice, but there were very few attention-grabbing areas or landmarks to check out. After you saw one street filled with shuffling plebs you'd seen them all. All that was left was to climb a building, sit on it, see another building that was kind of tall, say, "I want to go over there, now," jump down, and start climbing again.

There needs to be small interesting details in order for the cities to have life. You can capture the 'feel' of a city through aesthetics but none of that matters when you've saved the same peasant lady from oppressive guards 15 times in a row. Unique shops, characters, sporting events, conflicts, and quests are what AC needs IMHO.

Amen. I just thought the look and feel of the cities seemed realistic and engaging. Doesn't mean that much from the standpoint of a gamer though. I really don't think AC2 will be a huge step forward, though it does seem to have the makings of a solid sequell.

DefJam101

Arcane
I wish AC was more open to mods (see: open to mods at all). It would be so bloody amazing.

Why do PC developers ignore this obvious advantage over consoles? Do they think it helps their sales? Do they get a hard-on for hard-coding shit? Oh noes! The communist gaming liberals are going to fuxxor our artistic vision!

I guess Bethsda are the only "smart" devs in that regard... You can mod their games just enough to make them less shitty and then they take are the glory for making a "successful" game which is played for years and years and years.

Heh.

Chefe

Erudite
Trash said:
Chefe said:
Really, I'd like to just walk around and check out the sights and architecture, climb on a few buildings, and enjoy the atmosphere. I hope AC is a lot less "gamey" than the first. They really threw away the great potential they had with the first one's location.

Honestly the look and feel of the old cities in AC1 was done supurb. The old city of Acre and Jeruzalem really are like AC1 portrayed them. Exploring them was the biggest draw of the otherwise extremely mediocre game. I don't think AC2 will be a great game, but I sure do hope they'll manage to convey the looks and feel of the cities again.

The black man said it best:

DefJam101 said:
Trash said:

I would like to add (to Trash, with this) that I was amazed when I first entered them and walked around. The crowds and bustle was extremely well done. But there were no shops to visit (atmosphere!), landmarks, interesting unique characters, and the rest of the stuff that makes cities worth exploring. I thought the cities in Daggerfall were pretty amazing too when I first picked up that game, but of course I eventually came to the realization that all shops were identical and the street folk only had two templates.

The biggest kicker for me was the fact that this wasn't real. No, I'm not talking about because it's a video game. You're hooked up to the animus, or whatever it's called, machine and are merely reliving past experiences. It's essentially a meaningless dream, you cannot influence the world, and it cannot touch you. You're not really walking the streets of Jerusalem. You're hooked up to a brain scanner in some science lab.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Chefe said:
skyway said:
Trash said:
Unless he declares them shit and then plays them like he did with GTA 4. Then they are suddenly fun. Skyway just bitches for bitching sake's.
Except I always liked GTA 4 (as in "GTA series is the only console thing I can stomach"). Try harder.

You liked GTA4? What the hell is wrong with you? The boredom factor in that brown turd makes Oblivion look like a masterpiece.
GO BACK TO YOUR WIVES AND CHILDREN

*blows up police cars*

YOU DON'T WANT TO DIE HERE

*fires at policemen hurrying to take cover*

I GOT PLANS FOR THIS MONEY

*throws grenade near their cover*

MetalCraze

Arcane
Chefe said:
skyway said:
Trash said:
Unless he declares them shit and then plays them like he did with GTA 4. Then they are suddenly fun. Skyway just bitches for bitching sake's.
Except I always liked GTA 4 (as in "GTA series is the only console thing I can stomach"). Try harder.

You liked GTA4? What the hell is wrong with you? The boredom factor in that brown turd makes Oblivion look like a masterpiece.

Yeah, though I think most of the quests were awful (and story and characters are too bland), some of them were quite good - like the bank robbery which was akin to hollywood action movies of '90s, the chase on bikes in subway, flying the chopper with a junkie tries to shoot down another chopper with a RPG, basically all other crazy action movie stuff that is there since GTA VC + sandbox world.
I also think that GTA4 is worse than any console GTA besides 3rd. Then again I also liked it because there are no games of the similar genre that are really better, Mafia is a much different beast, as it is centered around story and characters while the gameworld is quite lifeless.

Chefe

Erudite
skyway said:
Chefe said:
skyway said:
Trash said:

Yeah, though I think most of the quests were awful (and story and characters are too bland), some of them were quite good - like the bank robbery which was akin to hollywood action movies of '90s, the chase on bikes in subway, flying the chopper with a junkie tries to shoot down another chopper with a RPG, basically all other crazy action movie stuff that is there since GTA VC + sandbox world.
I also think that GTA4 is worse than any console GTA besides 3rd. Then again I also liked it because there are no games of the similar genre that are really better, Mafia is a much different beast, as it is centered around story and characters while the gameworld is quite lifeless.

Have you tried Saint's Row? I hear it's quite arcadey but at least doesn't feel like you're wading through shit.

Also

HEEEEY NIKO!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like Assassin's Creed very much, it's fun arcade game (even if most of the missiont are copy/paste) so I'm looking forward to AC2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom