Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer Top RPG of all time

Dragula

Augur
I should probably get banned for linking PC Gamer, but this list is to hilarious to pass up. It actually contains a bit of incline.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-rpgs-of-all-time-1

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Baldur’s Gate 2
3. Fallout 2
4. The Witcher 3
5. Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition
6. Mass Effect 2
7. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
8. Deus Ex
9. Ultima VII: The Black Gate
10. System Shock 2
11. Dragon Age: Origins
12. The Witcher 2
13. Fallout: New Vegas
14. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
15. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
16. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
17. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
18. Divinity: Original Sin
19. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
20. Pillars of Eternity
21. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
22. Gothic 2
23. Neverwinter Nights 2
24. Undertale
25. Arx Fatalis
26. Torchlight 2
27. Legend of Grimrock 2
28. Mount & Blade: Warband
29. Anachronox
30. Dungeons of Dredmor
31. South Park Stick of Truth

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
South Park..
Uhm... okay, I liked The Stick of Truth, it was fun while it lasted but no way it can compare to the best RPGs of all time.
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
Divinity Original Sin
:greatjob:
Mass Effect 2
:hmmm:
I like Mass Effect as a whole series but no.

A lot of good (if not cliché) choices but also some cringey selected titles. But hey, can't expect anything more from a mainstream website. I hope they would add Underrail next year.

Beastro

Arcane
Uhm... okay, I liked The Stick of Truth, it was fun while it lasted but no way it can compare to the best RPGs of all time.

I think it's there because it's the first RPG in a long while that everyone agrees is a good, solid and competent piece of work.

In an ideal world, it would be just an average game, but when the average is shit or decent hyped games with many issues, like PoE, then it stands out because it has no flaws. It's a game much like the old JRPGs it aped, like FFII and III. A Solid games without anything to complain about that delivered what you expected in the right amount: an RPG that captured the humour and spirit of the show perfectly that had varied, enjoyable gameplay and settings that wasn't too long as to make its ease annoying.

Paul_cz

Arcane
It's a good list actually. Skyrim and Mass Effect lower, Gothic 2 and Bloodlines much higher, but whatever.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
PC Gamer is actually the broest and most incline of all the game journo mags and websites.

Still shit, but it could be alot worse.

(And also missing Underrail as #1) ;9

Prime Junta

List is surprisingly good. A few well-earned somewhat surprising choices there, Arx Fatalis for example.

Ordering of list is mostly random.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Six popamoles in the top 10, Arcanum isn't in the top 5, Fallout isn't even on the list that is littered with non-RPGs including D3 and TL2 (which are apparently > D2). :retarded:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
For a mainstream thing can't really complain about it too much. Lottery in places and probably 5-6 have no place in the top 100 never mind top 30...but eh, if the plebs pick up some of these and like them it's a good thing.

No Might and Magic or SSI games is a crime but these always seem for some strange reason to be overlooked.

At least Oblivion and Fallout 3 aren't there! :monocleshatterinamazement:

RuySan

Augur
Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 2 are just wrong, but it's a pretty reasonable list, even though it's missing Might & Magic's Wizardry's, but especially Albion:D

Bonerbill

Augur
PC Gamer is actually the broest and most incline of all the game journo mags and websites.

Still shit, but it could be alot worse.

(And also missing Underrail as #1) ;9

Agreed. There one of the few sites gaming sites out there that didn't turn into a bunch of SJW mongoloids screaming about gender equality.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Witcher 3 might deserve a place on that list, but I'd hold off until deciding where precisely until another year or so, and especially after all the DLCs are out.

Interesting to see Anachronox and Dungeons of Dredmor there, except neither game deserves a spot. Anachronox is so lite in the (j)RPG aspects that it borderlines on being an adventure game, and Dredmor is a bloated, buggy mess.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I really hate this list.
It may be a matter of taste because I dislike a part of the games which are in this list and also in the RPG codex TOP 70 (with some Mass Effect, Kotor, NWN2, Witcher, Dragon Age even if not always the same titles, also too many pew pew), and it misses a lot of the games I prefer from the RPG Codes TOP 70 (Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, KOTC, Icewind Dale, the M&M, RoA, etc...).
In fact the number of party-based games with full party creation is ridiculously low. Arcanum is so low, Fallout 1 is not even there...To me it's an horrible list.

About South Park :
A Solid games without anything to complain about
What about level scaling? I am ok to say they are games where it's even more annoying, but it's always a bad thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom