Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review PC Gaming hammers Another War

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Another War

<a href="http://www.pc-gaming.com/">PC Gaming</a> has posted up their <A href="http://www.pc-gaming.com/read.asp?id=86&type=rp">review</a> of the WW2, alternative universe game, <A href="http://aw.gry-online.pl/">Another War</a>. They didn't like it much, giving it a <b>2/5</b> and pointing out problems such as this:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The variety of weapons and items is large, with 150 weapons. Shotguns need loading very often and firing from a close range, but will generally kill a nazi instantly, knives will take multiple stabs to kill, and pistols being medium range, so on and so forth. A variety of jackets, helmets, gloves, boots and trousers are available for you to wear each offering varying degrees of protection (and style). Health packs come in a selection of forms, which I liked, lots of types of foods, bandages, and even vetinary kits can be used to heal yourself and team buddies. Combat is a mixed affair, fighting with guns is overall decent but once fists are introduced against an enemy holding a gun, they tend to try and run away from you so they can fire at you, but at the same time you?re running at them brandishing your knuckles -- the consequent images presented on your screen are of a nazi and your character dancing round in circles.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I've always wondered if Nazis could dance.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <A href="Http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Jed

Cipher
Sure--they do the Blitzkrieg Bop!

But seriously folks, anyone been following this game? The setting at least sounds incredibly refreshing...well, for a CRPG, at least. Who knows how many FPSs are set in WWII...

Section8

Cipher
once fists are introduced against an enemy holding a gun, they tend to try and run away from you so they can fire at you, but at the same time you?re running at them brandishing your knuckles -- the consequent images presented on your screen are of a nazi and your character dancing round in circles.

Something that would never happen in Turn-Based. Real Time might be more acceptable if you could attack while moving, but that's an interface nightmare unless you are going the Revenant action combat route.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Section8 said:
Something that would never happen in Turn-Based. Real Time might be more acceptable if you could attack while moving, but that's an interface nightmare unless you are going the Revenant action combat route.

I was thinking the same thing. In your standard AP TB system, you'd be able to run up to the guy, swing your punches, and be done with your turn. Then during his turn, he'd run away a bit, and fire.

Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it? I mean, this same thing can be found in LOTS of CRPGs that are real time, including the fantasy ones. You'll run to chase a bowman, and smack them with your sword, and they'll run away. You have to eventually get them caught on something before you can chop them up.

You'd think that a game with guns, that's mostly range related, would have known better than to use real time. I guess not.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
I read the review and i dont understand why he / she is only giving 2 / 5 .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom