Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Peripeteia - Deus Ex-inspired FPS/RPG set in anime cyberpunk Poland

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

I'm hyped for the true Polish tranny cyberpunk 2020 masterpiece with Deus Ex influences. Look at this technology.

CHEMS

Scholar
The Lain inspiration seems to be there as there's a NPC that looks like Lain. The demo is coming out in a couple of days, we'll get a better understanding of the game's aesthetics then.

Jesus Christ that is fucking terrifying.

Shodanon

Ninth Exodus
Developer
Thanks for moving the thread to the big boy category! And thanks for all the comments, regardless if positive or negative. And thanks for wishlisting, those of you who did. I'd be giving out brofists left and right if I wasn't so new.

So yeah, on the 29th we'll be releasing an alpha demo on indie download sites like itch.io. All feedback will be helpful and useful to perfecting this thing. I hope you will find it enjoyable. A small comment on the RPG side of things, though: stats and proper RPG progression will be added in future builds, while this demo has them stripped (not to disappoint). I'll post demo links when it's out. If you have any preferences regarding file hosting, please tell me.
We're not putting the demo up on Steam yet.

Sorry I wasn't updating this thread, working on the game and real life are the excuse. I do post on the creative section of the discord, though.

Old playtest video:

Phi did a good job playtesting the game. A lot of his suggestions were very useful, if you watched the vid I hope you'll appreciate the progress we're making.

The anime protagonist is an odd choice, as the setting seems close to something like Deus Ex but with anime girls. If it were more closer inspired by Sci-Fi anime and manga I don't think it would stand out as much.

The game overall is a mish mash of our fascinations and influences. Both Lain and Ghost in the Shell are among them, so here's your [citation]. We have a Lain and Motoko shrine on our Discord server (come shitpost with us https://90s.graphics/discord). Considering how GitS95 was likely one of the influences for Deus Ex, this choice shouldn't be too controversial.

change weapons for some fictional piece of junk.

But we like exotic real world prototypes. It's an alt-history setting, so we're having fun making up reasons why a polish conversion of the AK to bullpup would become widely adopted, when in real life there's two specimens tops.

Those twig arms need to go

What, don't you like Thi4f "always hold arms in front of you like a zombie" aesthetic? I agree they need to go and they WILL be gone once we start remaking our models. Hopefully soon. Our attention was elsewhere.

Jesus Christ that is fucking terrifying.

She IS a weirdo after all.

set in anime cyberpunk Poland

got ya :positive:

Got me good.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Cyberpunk Poland?
Where is my post - apo Poland ffs? Where is my Dodge Viper 126p with MG on the roof?
Afterfall turned into scam. There might be hope.

Bony Hands

Literate
The game overall is a mish mash of our fascinations and influences. Both Lain and Ghost in the Shell are among them, so here's your [citation]. We have a Lain and Motoko shrine on our Discord server (come shitpost with us https://90s.graphics/discord). Considering how GitS95 was likely one of the influences for Deus Ex, this choice shouldn't be too controversial.
Yeah, you can't really judge a game's aesthetic just by some screenshots and trailers, so I might have been a bit critical. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Jinn

Arcane
I love the game's aesthetic except for the weird hands (which you already said will change) and the anime character faces. I don't have an issue with an anime style in general. It's just that the faces seem to clash terribly with the style of everything else. Really seems out of place.

Anyway, really excited a game like this is being made. I look forward to trying out the demo. And thanks for coming around, receiving feedback, and talking with us Shodanon.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Cyber punk Poland huh? I wonder if the plot will involve Lech Kaczynski secretely ruling the country after his brain was secretly removed from the Katyn crash site and connected to a super computer or something like that. If not its a huge missed opportunity.

deuxhero

Arcane
One question I have to ask of shooters with RPG elements: How did you pick what calibers you're including in game? Most such games get bogged down with ammo that's only ever used in a single gun so they have have random "cool" guns, use entirely fictional weaponry, or just ignore it entirely with ammo that works in particular classes of weapons regardless of logical sense. I'm curious to hear your approach since I see 9x18, 7.62x39, 7.62x51/.308, a presumably 12 gauge shotgun, 7.62x54r, 12.7x55, 9x19, some revolver and a grenade launcher in stuff you released (all perfectly reasonable picks), but also a APS UAR with with its proprietary ammo that you describe as rare.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
You can call trannies degenerate, 20/10, GOTY.

8cOeWQF.jpg

Bony Hands

Literate
I've played the demo. It does a better job of getting you to understand the tone of the game then the promotional material. Grim, but also tongue in cheek. The protagonist just eating batteries to recharge is a silly little joke that worked for me. Using the iron sights for the rifle is detrimental as the recoil is much worse, hip-firing it lets you mow down enemies easily. I do like how you can jump around and scale rooftops and platforms, it opens up a more movement options to the player. I think my biggest gripe is with the level design. It feels way too empty, and parts of it have no purpose other then giving you another way in or out of an area. Many parts look similar, and having them look different would make it easier for the player to know where they're heading or why they should be here. My first play-through I took the job to kill the bartender so I could access the basement lift. So I clambered up to the roof and snuck in through the vents. All good so far. Then I took the elevator down and went into the office building, thinking I could find something there. But the office area is pointless unless you took the front entrance the the tower and ended up there. Having some goodies or something useful or interesting would make exploring much better. I did enjoy the demo, and I think the game is on the right track to become a great title with improvement.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So i gave it a quick try. I noticed some issues with the settings - one of the comboboxes for the graphics settings had all items in its list appear as black letters on black background so i couldn't see anything. The key rebinding screen also was very hard to use - initially i thought it didn't work but then i tried to look if the keys i tried to use were used somewhere else and remove them. This worked (removing a key from another binding before trying) but it was very unintuitive - if a binding already exists for the key the user presses instead of silently ignoring it you should instead remove any previous binding. Also i noticed that i couldn't bind the same keys for the inventory (even though the default settings use the same buttons with other actions). I use right click for jumping so i tried to set that (after removing it from alt fire and setting that to Ctrl) but it didn't allow me to do that until i *also* removed it from the inventory section (i replaced it with V).

About the inventory, even though i used V, it still used right click for showing up the popup menu in items - which had the amusing (though i guess eventually annoying) effect of jumping every time i tried to show the item popup menu. Also, i'm not sure if this is the game getting messed up with key bindings or me not being able to figure things out, but after killing two guards (or something) and getting their weapons, i was able to unload both weapons but i was not able to load the ammo i had just unloaded to one of the weapons (so i unloaded both weapons and then i tried to load one of them with all the ammo). Equipping the weapon and pressing the reload key (which i had set to one of the mouse side buttons) didn't do anything nor did trying to drag-and-drop the ammo over the weapon. Also there wasn't any popup menu if i tried to right click (or press V over) the weapon in the inventory. Did i miss something?

Finally when i tried to drag-and-drop the weapon in the second cell in the item bar at the bottom the game placed the pistol instead (i already had that drag-and-dropped in the first cell previously). Trying it a second time worked though.

I only messed around a bit in the game itself, might try a more serious play later, though i'd like to figure out how to reload, etc properly :-P. I noticed that talking with the girl outside your apartment that all conversations seem to repeat as if i never talked to them.

Overall i like the feel of the game though one thing i'm not a big fan of is the lack of texture filtering... it feels like it clashes with all the visual effects going on and a bit weird to have those huge rectangles in reflections and such while other parts (like shadows) are smooth.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Couldn't play it; game barely runs at 800x600 with every setting at minimum. I mean, I do have a shitty laptop vga, but you guys need to optimize the shit out of this.
FWIW: i7 6500U, 16gb ram, intel hd520 vga, running win10.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ah yes, one thing i forgot to mention is how the camera feels very weird: looking around feels as if your head is "jerked" into position. It kinda reminds me of the Chronicles of Riddick games where the camera felt as if it was attached to the head with a spring.

Also all camera motion, looking around, etc has a very choppy feel as if it is running in lower framerate. However the framerate isn't low, the UI etc is smooth, it is only the camera that has this choppy feel. Are you perhaps updating the camera at some fixed interval? I have a 165Hz monitor and it might be more visible here because of that (ie. the game is updated at a high framerate but the camera at a lower, but that wouldn't be as visible in a lower refresh rate monitor).

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Ah yes, one thing i forgot to mention is how the camera feels very weird: looking around feels as if your head is "jerked" into position. It kinda reminds me of the Chronicles of Riddick games where the camera felt as if it was attached to the head with a spring.
That's because of the full body awareness thing that is springy, your hands don't follow immediately with the camera. I liked that. The only thing I didn't like with this game so far are the ladders, they are the biggest enemy in the game.

RoSoDude

Arcane
That's because of the full body awareness thing that is springy, your hands don't follow immediately with the camera. I liked that. The only thing I didn't like with this game so far are the ladders, they are the biggest enemy in the game.
Incorrect. These are the best ladders in any Looking Glass-style game. Jump to ascend and crouch to descend while moving towards the ladder. Air control will automatically cause you to grab the next rung. It works super well, unlike Thief where the complete lack of air control made any mistake fatal at height. The movement overall is very well designed. I'm hoping to see some parkour routes in the levels -- the ability to hang off and shimmy on ledges yields a lot of interesting opportunities for real simulated climbing vs the standard automated/abstracted fare.

Still a long ways to go on this project (I sent over a bunch of stream of consciousness feedback on interactions/menus/QoL and there are plenty of bugs), but it's promising. Some nice innovations on display already, and I've grown fond of the overall stylistic approach. Excited to see what kind of RPG systems the team has in store.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Incorrect. These are the best ladders in any Looking Glass-style game. Jump to ascend and crouch to descend while moving towards the ladder. Air control will automatically cause you to grab the next rung. It works super well, unlike Thief where the complete lack of air control made any mistake fatal at height.
Am I using them wrong? When exploring air wents and going down a ladder I went like a ping pong ball between the wall and the ladder, should I just hold crouch or something?

What the fuck, I have been playing the game wrong.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I encountered a bug where the elevator goes up but you fall down through the floor. Still haven't managed to assassinate the guy and the combat is very deadly. I wish there were more things that recharged your energy since the game world is so dark and I won't cheat by turning up the gamma. You're also kind of fucked in a firefight without bullet time and without a 90s quicksave and reload that means the game is hard as fuck. Found a hidden sniper rifle up on a roof but no ammo for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom