Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Peter Molyneux - Complexity is only simplicity multiplied

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Does anyone know for a fact that Molyneux had actually a part in designing Magic Carpet, Populous, Theme and Dungeon Keeper Games and wasn't one of those "PR-person that acts as a designer" dudes?

Seems highly improbable that he got so retarded. Mental illness, severe trauma, kidnapping?

Clockwork Knight said:
PM: So this little village here [indicating screen] -- you may not realize it, but what's in a shop in this village may actually be downloaded from online. So we can populate those shops remotely. This is a new digital relationship

New (paid in in-game money) items arriving every now and then has potential to be pretty cool.

I just know it will be haxsword of awesome and new clothes for $2.99, though.

But thanks to the always connected ability of xbawkz, we can deliver targeted updates straight to your machine to improve your gameplay. Upon buying haxsword of awesome, all enemies immediately gain 50% damage reduction as an added bonus. Look out next month for the arrival of haxswrod of awesome mk2.

Soulforged

Scholar
Moulineaux was and still is a genius.

He may not express himself in a coherent manner, but his ideas are clear if you put them in context. He knows how to sell his games by creating the need to play them and pay for anything you do while playing them, it's an interesting idea, if only because it shows how much this man understands the market, conceptually it's wrong on so many levels.

What is happening in games is nothing more than the flow of the current these times, video games represent just a little stream of water in that current.

So I applaud Mr. Moulineaux and his impertinent disrespect for the customers.

ChristofferC

Magister
Soulforged said:
Moulineaux was and still is a genius.

He may not express himself in a coherent manner, but his ideas are clear if you put them in context. He knows how to sell his games by creating the need to play them and pay for anything you do while playing them, it's an interesting idea, if only because it shows how much this man understands the market, conceptually it's wrong on so many levels.

What is happening in games is nothing more than the flow of the current these times, video games represent just a little stream of water in that current.

So I applaud Mr. Moulineaux and his impertinent disrespect for the customers.
Yes, he understands the market. His job is to make money, not to please the codex. If he has to pretend to be a retard to make money, so be it.

Soulforged

Scholar
ChristofferC said:
Yes, he understands the market. His job is to make money, not to please the codex. If he has to pretend to be a retard to make money, so be it.
I was being sarcastic though. I do mean that he's a genius, but I don't think that his ideas are any good, at least not from my moral point of view, and not for video games design as a whole.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and made it much more interesting for the core players because they could start combining magic together and switching between guns and swords, because they were the same.

And then Peter was a zombie.

Also, "core" Fable players =/= casual gamers?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
and made it much more interesting for the core players because they could start combining magic together and switching between guns and swords, because they were the same.
Why switch then if it's all the same?

4too

Arcane
Yet Another *Dawning*(tm), For, ... Yet Another *New Age*(c)

Yet Another *Dawning*(tm), For, ... Yet Another *New Age*(c)

I suggest you all read as much of Mr. PM's, newest news-iness, canned PRESENTATION,
as your anger / boredom attention ratio will tolerate.

Character building potential.

There is a lot of marketing chic blowing through this Gamasutra 'digital relationship'.

The staged personna refered to as Mr. PM. is all about THE NEW.

It's another media spin stratagem retreaded for this 'brave new' *commercial* internet age.

Grooming the casual, and not so virginal , masses for the next NEW thing.

The old school advertising concept of grooming consent by fostering a fashion consensus and labeling it "The New Age" appears to be Mr. PM's MO.

New Age huckster.

Yet another Buddha, on yet another highway to heaven .... :)

First PM's the artist, now he's the 'profit' for this latest, greatest 'new' age.

New dawning, new accessibility, new markets of opportunity,
all the same spiel,
wet with anticipation,
an accelerated rate of profit.
A dollar per second per second vector that defies mere mortal gravity.
A F-ing moon shot.

PM appears to enliven a lifestyle with an accelerated rate of revelations,

a continuum of peak experiences, melting into one huge hazy orgasm,

and that's probably on his 'down' days.

PM on Page 4 said:
I think we're just realizing that what we're making is a sort of arc of enjoyment, ...

There is a special tag for PM's persona,

to profile the lifestyle that breathes heavily for the next "arc of enjoyment"

"" Bliss Ninny "".

4too

Angthoron

Arcane
Re: Yet Another *Dawning*(tm), For, ... Yet Another *New Age

That reminds me of Engrish.com for some reason.

4too

Arcane
Signature 'Toon

Signature 'Toon

WhiskeyWolf said:
Sup Qwinn.

Qwinn

LOL :) :) :)

Ah , sailing on the parabola of fun that is Codex, the one true ARK of enjoyment.

4too

Vibalist

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Vibalist said:
And there it is. The problem can be solved by making toturials skippable, rather than continously making gameplay more and more simple to the point where you only need to press one fucking button to accomplish everything.

When you let people skip the tutorial, they will skip it and later bitch about how they don't know how to do something. A skippable tutorial is like a manual, and we know how many people read those.

Umm. Yeah, some dumbasses might skip the tutorial, but Jesus Christ if they do that and later complain they can't figure out the game they are dumber than most dogs I know.

Wouldn't put it past many casual gamers to act this way, though. People have no patience these days, either when it comes to gaming nor with anything else. Everything needs to be accessible and understandable right now and immediately, otherwise it is not worth getting into. fuck up man, just fuck up.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Vibalist said:
Umm. Yeah, some dumbasses might skip the tutorial, but Jesus Christ if they do that and later complain they can't figure out the game they are dumber than most dogs I know.

Wouldn't put it past many casual gamers to act this way, though.
Of course not. After all game "journalists" don't bother reading manuals or even look in-game at the key bindings and then complain in their supposedly professional "review" that it took them 10 minutes to figure out how to open the inventory.

4too

Arcane
Today's Web Opera Cast Of Characters

Today's Web Opera Cast Of Characters

@DraQ

When I step stage front from all the other spear carriers, my signature tune has always been ... 4too.

Yes, minimalist style still needs an ego ID.

And, no matter how vague our personal contexts, the entire 'Qwinn / alt' schtick is a genuine laugh these days,

just like any canned coverage of Mr. Bliss Ninny, PeterM.

4too

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Ya know, I'm a pretty easy going, tolerant sort'a guy and there's not many people in the world I would say this about - but I fuckng HATE this prick. Every time I see him or even here his name, it makes my skin fucking crawl.

Wouldn't supprise me at all if they find out he has a dungeon under his house full of child sex-slaves.

What I'd give for a sniper rifle and an invisibility cloak. :cool:

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Peter Molyneux on army training:

"So, I was at a boot camp and saw all these new recruits screwing around with their guns. I asked one of their drill instructors what they were doing, and he told me they were learning to use their guns. Of course, I was completely dumbstruck. I figured "Come on people, we're all strong guys, right? What do we need guns for? Can't we just punch the bad people until they surrender? Come on, all this gun-stuff is needlessly complicated!""

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Allow me to retort, you stupid mother fucker.

So i love hack and slash games in all there forms from the simple God of war type game and all the way to the more complex Bayonetta/Devil May Cry.

Now in fable 2 they work with a simple system of 1 button attacks.
Every combo is 1 button and nothing else. You can not even flow together magic/ranged attacks into your main combo's, becaus it would make things to complex or some retarded nonsense like that.

Now the biggest issue with the combat in Fable 2 is that the game had no challenge at all.
NO CHALLENGE WHAT SO EVER!.

No need to learn a combo, have timing, plan things, use a right weapon, positioning or ANY THING!.

Fable 2 is shit!.
Also SHITTING YOUR SELF IS NOT A VALID FORM OF SOCIAL INTERACTION YOU BRITISH CUNT!:

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Molyfaux is known for taking credit for games he wasn't responsible for, like Syndicate. There is no decline of Molyneux, he has always been the person to leech off someone else's creativity.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
molyneux (along with chavs) is a very good reason for segregating great britain permanently from the rest of the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom