Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
So, that's the interception combat at long last? 5 years for a seemingly suckier version of Xenonauts' own? Perhaps it is turn-based at least, but I don't believe it will be so.
Any info how Xenonauts 2 will handle interception?
Initial description from kickstarter looked much simplified compared to Xeno 1.
Current build is the one from the first game and I doubt it will change. You can check a let's play on YouTube if you want.
Closed beta v17 is current build?
Looks like there's massive :incline: there.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought this was fake ... wow ... just wow.
I am so glad I do not care for this piece of shit anymore.
This isn't the first time (in nearly 40 years of gaming) that a game hugely disappoints my expectations, and I usually don't care and step over. This time, however, it is different, because is Gollop who created some of the immortal masterpieces of the genre and I cannot accept that I contributed personally to the creation of this crap "game", which should have instead been a moment of joy after so many years since the original X-COM. I consider this a sort of personal betrayal, even though I realize I should just give it a damn this time too, but I can't.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So, that's the interception combat at long last? 5 years for a seemingly suckier version of Xenonauts' own? Perhaps it is turn-based at least, but I don't believe it will be so.
It is a version of 1994 Xcom interception, at least that is how I understand it. They wanted to expand on that and made this..

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
It is a version of 1994 Xcom interception, at least that is how I understand it. They wanted to expand on that and made this..
What did they expand on?
It looks like there's only autofight duel with option to retreat there.
In original UFO you could send more than 1 plane against foe or you could just follow the bogey without engaging.

Endemic

Arcane
I wonder whether adding something like X-Wing: the miniature game or Pacific Aces as interception combat could work, or whether it would kill the pace too much

Didn't X-COM: Interceptor already do that?

ArchAngel

Arcane
What did they expand on?
It looks like there's only autofight duel with option to retreat there.
In original UFO you could send more than 1 plane against foe or you could just follow the bogey without engaging.
I am not allowed to go into details, lets just say it is not just autocombat. You have options.

Endemic

Arcane
Wasn't X-COM interceptor an action game?
The exemples I gave were both turn based.

I was speaking in terms of playing the interception yourself rather than autoresolve, sorry if that wasn't clear. I didn't mind the classic approach to it in UFO Defense/TFTD, but a turn-based interception minigame would be good too.

Nightfall

Novice
ciRfwxZ.jpeg

Not sure if posted. Epic Games paid 11 million for Phoenix Point.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Looks like Epic spent a lot of money for little return and not only for this game.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
$10M for 50k units sold doesn't sound particularly good investment for Epic.
Do they have any real market share and will they be able to keep it if they don't get exclusives?

50k units sold after years and years of spending millions and millions on marketing, either by themselves or through epic. holy shit i could have sold better with a booger simulator.

Latelistener

Arcane
No wonder they didn't care about the kickstarter money.
Kickstarter money alone is not enough in most cases. There is usually always another and bigger investment that comes after that. It doesn't mean you have to piss on backers and turn your back to them.

They could have made a lot more releasing it on Steam first. Adding mod support, while working with the community and upholding their promises would have made them sales second only to XCOM.

They already sold 200-500k copies according to SteamSpy.

This game is the definition of wasted potential.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It isn't surprising at all, and I don't think it's only about the quality of the game itself. Like it was already said multiple times, for "big" games that have brand recognition by default the epic "exclusivity" deals can make some sense. For anything even remotely indie or niche it's like accepting cash in exchange for throwing your game into garbage bin.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It isn't surprising at all, and I don't think it's only about the quality of the game itself. Like it was already said multiple times, for "big" games that have brand recognition by default the epic "exclusivity" deals can make some sense. For anything even remotely indie or niche it's like accepting cash in exchange for throwing your game into garbage bin.

At least some cunt got a big retirement check, I wouldn't call that a failure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom