Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steamspy doesn't work anymore after the Steam privacy change.

That its now said 50k - 200k should just make that even more glaringly obvious. Battletech also just dropped like 40%.

Just check his twitter he talks about how off the algorithms now are and how hes working on it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That its now said 50k - 200k should just make that even more glaringly obvious. Battletech also just dropped like 40%.

Just check his twitter he talks about how off the algorithms now are and how hes working on it.

Yep, no real news here.

The fluctuation actually gives us better accuracy because we know it's just about 100k

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So that's not very good then. I wonder if this is something Obsidian were expecting or are they surprised by it. No way to know though.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sequels very rarely sell better than the previous game, so I would assume Obsidian planned for some slack.

50% is harsh though.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity

Yep, no real news here.

The fluctuation actually gives us better accuracy because we know it's just about 100k

How much would the need to break even? Maybe around 400k?

AwesomeButton

Patron
I believe it can catch on within the coming months and improve the ratio vs PoE. Word of mouth and news about FreeLC can do good. Unfortunately word of mouth right now says "pretty but easy". You don't want to be that girl.

Shadenuat

Arcane
As an RPG with huge amount of content should PoE really be judged as a day 1 hit? It's sales may eventually pick up like they picked up for some other "sleeping hits" and provide a stable amount of copies sold.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
He do you guys even know if the steamspy algorithm is at least remotely accurate?

If I understand correctly, before the changes in steam private settting the guy just mined steam user data to show how many persons have a given game in their library. A monkey could write the code for that.

That’s something completely different than estimating the numbers based on a extremely small sample (users who set their profile to public)...

Perkel

Arcane
This is very very depressing. Could be the death of these kinds of rpgs (again)....

Steam closed avenue for accurate numbers so i wouldn't use SteamSpy in any way shape or form now ESPECIALLY on new releases.
Developer claims that he has some sort of mathematical model but i highly doubt it.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
PoE II will probably be a solid title for Obs in the longterm. No hit, but I don’t think it bombed so hard as some here would like it to.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I believe it can catch on within the coming months and improve the ratio vs PoE. Word of mouth and news about FreeLC can do good. Unfortunately word of mouth right now says "pretty but easy". You don't want to be that girl.

It's easy for the codex, I think for mainstream gamers it would be just about right actually. I also think Deadfire is by far a better game than PoE 1, so based on that I think sales might catch up a bit in the long term.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Regardless of ressources spent, deadfire does feel unfinished towards the end.
Port Maje, Tikawara and Sayuka (or smthg) have a main/side quest and a handful of little things. The native tribe has absolutely nothing and the side quest there was bugged for me.

It's a pretty big deal. If the latter third of the game feels unfinished, the whole game does. And the observation that content is lacking quickly turns into "the game lacks content".
Do you get my views on the game now?

Prime Junta

Stop slutshaming you shitlord you, it'd be a lot of fun to be that girl

I think the people who care about difficulty already know about Deadfire and either bought it, are waiting for it to get patched into shape, or decided that there's too much gay in it for their repressed homosexuality. Everybody else will be thrilled about the pretty scenery, the romance, and the cute furry animals, and that interest may well keep sales going later.

But for sure this deserves to sell better than P1.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I also think Deadfire is by far a better game than PoE 1
But that's also a mostly codex-confined opinion :)

it'd be a lot of fun to be that girl
Easy, pretty, and with added FreeLC :lol:

Indeed yes.

I keep watching the stream. Respect for Sawyer explaining Pallegina's motivations, and they actually making sense. I wonder if the bisexual-writers can do the same for their characters. Doubt it.

Prime Junta

Easy, pretty, and with added FreeLC :lol:

That portrait is triggering my PTSD. I don't know if I'll be able to handle all the FreeLC.

DdRFRayU0AERRwv.png

Shadenuat

Arcane

- killed yoer brother
- you repeat
- he bled on the altar as I was sucking my +stat bonus from him bitch
- I KILL YOU... later... because you can't lose a companion over saying something wrong :|

AwesomeButton

Patron
Regardless of ressources spent, deadfire does feel unfinished towards the end.
Port Maje, Tikawara and Sayuka (or smthg) have a main/side quest and a handful of little things. The native tribe has absolutely nothing and the side quest there was bugged for me.

It's a pretty big deal. If the latter third of the game feels unfinished, the whole game does. And the observation that content is lacking quickly turns into "the game lacks content".
Do you get my views on the game now?
I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who hasn't played yet, but how many minor settlements with a good amount of side content is it really reasonable to expect? Let's compare to Underrail, AoD, Fallout (for a game with free roaming of the world), Arcanum? Three small settlements plus one that's significantly bigger than either Core City or Tarant sounds good enough to me, if coupled with the random island dungeons you can find through free exploration only and with the bounties. I don't know, haven't played yet.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Stop slutshaming you shitlord you, it'd be a lot of fun to be that girl

I think the people who care about difficulty already know about Deadfire and either bought it, are waiting for it to get patched into shape, or decided that there's too much gay in it for their repressed homosexuality. Everybody else will be thrilled about the pretty scenery, the romance, and the cute furry animals, and that interest may well keep sales going later.

I have at least 3 friends who are waiting on patches/sale and/or the release of the "full game".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom