Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We must admit one thing about the writing and VO - the complete unison between the purple prose of the plot-relevant scripted interactions, and the VO's overacting :lol: The end result is that cringe attacks the player from all sides.

"Her voice takes on a sharp, almost panicked edge" :lol:

Tigranes

Arcane
It was pretty easy for some classes to become super-blocky-healing machines that could stand and take the hit for 30 minutes. Trying out beta 1.1 POTD/upscale, a level 8 Pallegina paladin/chanter w/ starting armour still seems able to hold out - the difference is that you're really having to watch HP due to far more reliable enemy penetration. Those skills and gear for +1 Armour Rating really become critical now.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Let's Plays are probably a better source than message board posts since you can see the game in action directly, though if course watching it instead of playing still means youre in no position to form an opinion
The thing is: I read these threads and look at a bit of playthrough (like the one here from RK47) to see if I would like to spend the money and time on it.

I think it's weird that most people here demand you should spend the money and time first, at random, and hope it was good. Or fuck off.

As most people here have already abandoned it and are replaying classics (as seen from the (amount of) responses and thread activities in this forum), I am happy I didn't buy/play it. Because most posters here look like they're disappointed and/or see it as a waste of time and money.

Be smart and wait at least a month after release. That also allows it to get out of the Alpha stage. And if you really want to play it after all, wait for the Gold/Enhanced release.

If you don't, you're just throwing money at Feargus' new house. And want the next game to be more of the same.

Tigranes

Arcane
Uh, of course you can look at shit & decide if you're going to buy it or not. But there are morons who look at some youtube videos then tell everyone else their Authoritative Verdict on the game and how everybody else should/shouldn't play it.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Uh, of course you can look at shit & decide if you're going to buy it or not. But there are morons who look at some youtube videos then tell everyone else their Authoritative Verdict on the game and how everybody else should/shouldn't play it.
Well, I probably spent more time reviewing it than most people who post a Steam review. I read about half this thread, for starters. And I watched roughly three hours of let's play.

And I started playing: BG2, Fallout: Tactics and Might & Magic 3 while doing it. Which are almost certainly much better games. Although Deadfire looks better. It's just too bad I played the first two and M&M Xeen and 6 too many times. So, M&M 3 it is.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I probably spent more time reviewing it than most people who post a Steam review. I read about half this thread, for starters. And I watched roughly three hours of let's play.

And I started playing: BG2, Fallout: Tactics and Might & Magic 3 while doing it. Which are almost certainly much better games. Although Deadfire looks better. It's just too bad I played the first two and M&M Xeen and 6 too many times. So, M&M 3 it is.

Reviewing a game you haven’t played is as ridiculous (read retarded) as reviewing a movie you’ve never seen or a book you’ve never read. I thought you were joking, but apparently not. I swear, half the people here have no sense of irony.

I would rather play Deadfire than Isles of Terra or Fallout: Tactics.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Finished prologue with all the new stuff. Overall not a lot of changes to tactics, but you might want a healer now. I.e if before on PoTD you could win anything with maybe just using single Athletics heal, now heals actually help. Same with armor buffs like paladin aura/woodskin. Crowd control is also more important because there are so many enemies. But that's levels 1-4 for you. If I won't get bored I'll try other locations.

The best encounter was Drake + animals. Other encounters were just same stuff spammed x2, anything additional (adra goo?) was weak.

And there's no narrative/loot for anything, so it's just not very interesting. Like, who is the cool story boss in prologue? (think asassins in BG1, ogre/auril priestess in IWD, whatever in BG2) There is none.

Last edited:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Man, these mentions of MOBA and MMO gave me a raging hard on of what the combat could have been, by just applying logic and tactics from those games...

Imagine enemy parties using stealth, and insta killing your healer. Imagine if they tanked your tank, cc'ed or used kiting on your tank, while doggedly trying to kill your ranged/DPS/healers. Imagine if enemies had aggro based on DPS inflicted, at the very least.
Imagine if the only way to get insane weapons and armour was off the corpses of defeated bosses who used those items to 100% of their potential.
I'm not even going to go into higher tactics, like using illusion/misdirection to make you waste powerful spells and abilities.

Actually, hang on a second. BG2 had all of this. It's not specifically related to MOBA/MMO, it's fucking common sense.

And this is my pet peeve with putting Josh in charge. I don't believe for a second he played/enjoyed Black Isle games the same way players did, nor realizes what made combat fun.
He needed to be confined to under the hood maintenance, while leaving concepts and design to someone who knows where it's at.

All this "effort" around percentages and item nerfing is next level autism. Prolonging fights for x number of seconds does nothing for me in terms of combat enjoyment, when AI is still stupid and I'm not getting my tactical fix.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, fortunately, not everyone is the same. Have fun with it. But I know I wouldn't.

How the fuck can you *know* this when you haven't actually played it? This is the most aspy thing I've ever heard.

"Based on the bitching on RPG Codex and a small sampling of twitch videos, I've determined beyond a shadow of a doubt that this game sucks balls and I would totally hate it. Here is my review! So let it be written, so let it be done."

What are you, an aggregator? Posturing from people who haven't actually played the game or even the beta is one thing, but you're taking it to a whole new level. This is god-tier bullshit. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Bad dog. Bad!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No face animations, bouncing boobs, grimdark setting, disliked by mainstream games-are-art connoisseurs. Looks like a Witcher 2 killer.

The game is strangely pretty fun,it has a lot of problems but the first three chapters are fun.

So I googletubed Demonicon and surprisingly it isn't a visual novel. Is this Third Eye shit the same thing from Drakensang? Also, is Drakensang any good? Also: also.
I enjoy the dark eye universe more than D&D. I really love Drakensang games,they are maybe the hardest rpg i have played in my life. 30 minutes boss battles that make you sweat. Drakensang:River of time is better game thou,it have more side content and exploration,but it is easier. In the first Drakensang i remember one fight that just killed the boss with one character standing,enjoying in the glory of the victory to only see that the boss shows his final form and kills him. That moment just make watch the death screen for an half hour with opened mouth. It is a great crpg,would recommend for any hardcore fan that doesn't care about graphics or simplification of mechanics. Both games are far superior to any PoE garbage.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well, fortunately, not everyone is the same. Have fun with it. But I know I wouldn't.

How the fuck can you *know* this when you haven't actually played it? This is the most aspy thing I've ever heard.

"Based on the bitching on RPG Codex and a small sampling of twitch videos, I've determined beyond a shadow of a doubt that this game sucks balls and I would totally hate it. Here is my review! So let it be written, so let it be done."

What are you, an aggregator? Posturing from people who haven't actually played the game or even the beta is one thing, but you're taking it to a whole new level. This is god-tier bullshit. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Bad dog. Bad!
Knowing that you won't or would like the game and writing a review are two different things. Half the regulars in this thread haven't played the game yet they have an opinion on the matter. Just look at Lacrymas,Prime Junta,Roguey and FreeKaner and maybe AwesomeButton. For the last two i am not that certain if they haven't played the game,FreeKaner was saying that he will play it a month or two later. For the AwesomeButton i don't remember if he said it. People constantly talk/write about games that don't play,nothing truly wrong with it.

Now writing a review about the game,based on letsplays and forum chats is a next level Journo skillz !

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I really want to see if there is some reactivity in the game if you play as Death Godlike Priest of Berath. Anyone tried it?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Imagine enemy parties using stealth, and insta killing your healer. Imagine if they tanked your tank, cc'ed or used kiting on your tank, while doggedly trying to kill your ranged/DPS/healers.
And first location in game had thousands vampires and illithid max level with basilisks as pets.

And 10 Liches, who causing Lidless Gaze (applying Terrified) on anyone who attacks them, after any attack (Concelhaut saying Hi!).

And if you win encounter you will be bombarded from space.

Don't be ridiculous, not all encounter was so hard in BG games, only dungeons and locations for high level. Not to mention that you can buff your party BEFORE combat, while in POE 2 you cannot use many abilities before combat. And "kitting your tank" situation (If I remember correctly) was happening because bug in AI of enemies and they ignored rules of game and "tank" character.
Deadfire humanoid encounters sometimes have same multi classes which available to player and they use rogue stealth abilities to get to your squishy character, just stealth system is not retarded in game, so your party detect them. Although I don't know why enemies don't use ranged weapons in stealth.

Imagine if the only way to get insane weapons and armor was off the corpses of defeated bosses who used those items to 100% of their potential.
There relatively small amount of gear which grants abilities, mostly armor and weapons have stats modifiers, so yeah, bosses using potential of weapons and armor, players just don't see it. And many bosses not humanoids, so they technically cannot wear armor.

I'm not even going to go into higher tactics, like using illusion/misdirection to make you waste powerful spells and abilities.
Actually they using a lot illusions spells, just almost all illusion spells focused on applying afflictions on your party or increasing enemy's reflection defenses. So your party see enemies, they just a little harder to hit.

And this is my pet peeve with putting Josh in charge. I don't believe for a second he played/enjoyed Black Isle games the same way players did, nor realizes what made combat fun.
He needed to be confined to under the hood maintenance, while leaving concepts and design to someone who knows where it's at.
He didn't enjoyed, so he invented his own variation of combat system. And he hates fun and wizards. And gunslingers.
All this "effort" around percentages and item nerfing is next level autism. Prolonging fights for x number of seconds does nothing for me in terms of combat enjoyment, when AI is still stupid and I'm not getting my tactical fix.

AI stupid a bit, indeed, I saw this on example of charmed enemies. Sometimes charmed enemies just stand and doing nothing.

Last edited:

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Finished prologue with all the new stuff. Overall not a lot of changes to tactics, but you might want a healer now. I.e if before on PoTD you could win anything with maybe just using single Athletics heal, now heals actually help. Same with armor buffs like paladin aura/woodskin. Crowd control is also more important because there are so many enemies. But that's levels 1-4 for you. If I won't get bored I'll try other locations.

The best encounter was Drake + animals. Other encounters were just same stuff spammed x2, anything additional (adra goo?) was weak.

And there's no narrative/loot for anything, so it's just not very interesting. Like, who is the cool story boss in prologue? (think asassins in BG1, ogre/auril priestess in IWD, whatever in BG2) There is none.

Did anything game over you or was it just close moments?

Shadenuat

Arcane

2 TPK, 1 Re-load

TPK 1: I went to sunken street from north instead of south, and when game loaded I had 7-8 enemies in red and aggroed on me: wizard, 2 goons, 3-4 goons near well. After I gave some orders and mashed stealth randomly and un-paused, 2 of my characters were killed instantly by ranged attacks/pistol crit.
I then backtracked same street from the south, stealthed to 3-4 goons, killed them, then killed wizard lady & her goons.

1 Re-load: https://s22.postimg.cc/n6af2cepd/boardanddragonshitassleg.jpg
I still have Empower and Chanter but barb/monk is going down, and Rogue/Ranger and his lion Cupcake (whom I use all the time to collect 5 ranged attacks/pistols :shittydog: at the start of combat) are down. After re-load I killed everything but boar and panther you see coming - I think they aggroed from below. Thinking about it now, I believe I managed to aggro every creature on the map by being at that place, perhaps even Drake would have shown up eventually (see the lone panther, it's from Drake group). They may have changed enemy aggro to see further.

TPK 2: Drake. He breathed fire and killed 2 out of 4 characters. I managed to continue battle until only wounded drake and my druid and barb/monk were left, but drake still won, I couldn't go through PoTD defences. After re-load I cast Woodskin right away and then it was easy, no casualties (although I used all potions because it was very long fight). Well calling it "easy" is stretching it, but it was more routine (tanked with summoned spirit & used spells & ranged weapons, then cleaned up).

Arguably Druid/Wizard & Troubador/Paladin of Elga carry the party though. Druid has Sunbeam, multiple damage type spells, Woodskin, Moonlight, bear form; from Wizard he uses grimoire for 500 coppers bought in starting city that has Chill Fog, Slicken, Web. Pally has flaming attack that heals everyone, lay on hands, +armor aura; as Chanter she has summoning spirit & paralyze shout. Rogue is Asassin/Stalker but so far is meh cause stealth is meh (although pet is useful), I am waiting for invisibility items & abilities; Barbarian/Monk(Shattered Pillar) seems to be fleshing out nicely though (20 Perception, 18 INT).

Now when I think about it, should have went 18 INT/PER on everyone. Somehow I just feel most use out of these 2 stats. Maybe I am wrong, or maybe it's just personal playstyle.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Don't be ridiculous, not all encounter was so hard in BG games, only dungeons and locations for high level.

Kangaxx, the Twisted Rune and the Guarded Compound say hi.
Now I know that you didn't played BG2 either because original BG2 level cap is 21 level, while Kangaxx 27 level boss. With throne of Baal he even easier, because party have more trained and have more ways to hurt him.

Quillon

Arcane
I really want to see if there is some reactivity in the game if you play as Death Godlike Priest of Berath. Anyone tried it?

These reactivity stuff + trying new multiclasses makes me wanna replay this shit again and again but it'll have to wait till I finish a new KCD playthrough, let's see if they fixed that shit with 1.4.3

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite

These reactivity stuff + trying new multiclasses makes me wanna replay this shit again and again but it'll have to wait till I finish a new KCD playthrough, let's see if they fixed that shit with 1.4.3
I wonder if they fixed that you cannot train bows on targets or just shooting, only on living targets and bowmen competition (river with logs). Maybe I was wrong and it was not bug, but realistically any bowmen can train aim on any target random tree or ass of annoying trader alike.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane

2 TPK, 1 Re-load

TPK 1: I went to sunken street from north instead of south, and when game loaded I had 7-8 enemies in red and aggroed on me: wizard, 2 goons, 3-4 goons near well. After I gave some orders and mashed stealth randomly and un-paused, 2 of my characters were killed instantly by ranged attacks/pistol crit.
I then backtracked same street from the south, stealthed to 3-4 goons, killed them, then killed wizard lady & her goons.

1 Re-load: https://s22.postimg.cc/n6af2cepd/boardanddragonshitassleg.jpg
I still have Empower and Chanter but barb/monk is going down, and Rogue/Ranger and his lion Cupcake (whom I use all the time to collect 5 ranged attacks/pistols :shittydog: at the start of combat) are down. After re-load I killed everything but boar and panther you see coming - I think they aggroed from below. Now I think about I managed to aggro every creature on the map by being at that place, perhaps even Drake would have shown up eventually (see the lone panther, it's from Drake group). They may have changed enemy aggro to see further.

TPK 2: Drake. He breathed fire and killed 2 out of 4 characters. I managed to continue battle until only wounded drake and my druid and barb/monk were left, but drake still won, I couldn't go through PoTD defences. After re-load I cast Woodskin right away and then it was easy, no casualties (although I used all potions because it was very long fight). Well calling it "easy" is stretching it, but it was more routine (tanked with summoned spirit & used spells & ranged weapons, then cleaned up).

Arguably Druid/Wizard & Troubador/Paladin of Elga carry the party though. Druid has Sunbeam, multiple damage type spells, Woodskin, Moonlight, bear form; from Wizard he uses grimoire for 500 coppers bought in starting city that has Chill Fog, Slicken, Web. Pally has flaming attack that heals everyone, lay on hands, +armor aura; as Chanter she has summoning spirit & paralyze shout. Rogue is Asassin/Stalker but so far is meh cause stealth is meh (although pet is useful), I am waiting for invisibility items & abilities; Barbarian/Monk(Shattered Pillar) seems to be fleshing out nicely though (20 Perception, 18 INT).

Now when I think about it, should have went 18 INT/PER on everyone. Somehow I just feel most use out of these 2 stats. Maybe I am wrong, or maybe it's just personal playstyle.

Trying the prologue solo (without Eder), your character build can make some POTD upscale fights mathematically super-difficult; e.g. the ~4 bats on the northwest side of the cave. When I tried a rogue/cipher there was simply no way mathematically do avoid death. I had to wait to sneak around and pick up a crossbow off a corpse so I could sneak attack from range, to take on the revenant & fat zombie combo. It's not earth-shattering, but it's a nice little moment of precarity and a definite step up from 1.00, which is the point. The boars, panthers and drakes at the Aloth meeting area are also overwhelming, and it'll be fun to figure out how to tackle them in a solo POTD playthrough.

When you do assemble a party at Neketaka and set out (level ~8, unless you vacuumed every city quest), it's still really really dependent on where you go with what party at what player skill level. Being able to stick Eder or an actively healing-based Herald (Ancient Memory, etc) up front really makes a massive difference in survivability, for example, allowing you to stand ground against enemy groups that might stomp other parties - and deciding to fight the various minibosses around Port Maje at level 7-8 is also quite different from, say, doing noncombat quests up till Level 10 & decking out in Exceptional gear, stacking consumables and drugs and resting bonuses, and then going to do your first bounties.

Again, I don't blame players who do that, but if you want to enjoy a challenge then you know you want to pace yourself. Actually, i never played with the skull icons on, so I don't know how that factors in either. I just wander around and fight stuff, back out if I'm being overwhelmed, and go back to cities when I get bored of exploring.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Pillars_Of_Eternity_II_2018-06-04_01-58-42-61.png

Pillars_Of_Eternity_II_2018-06-04_01-59-37-36.png

:bravo:

forget I said enything about aggro or enemy AI, just forget it.

I think the reason why Meryel did this was her script made her want to reach with spells characters with lower hp/defences which stood at the back. Or maybe he/she has load of distilled sawyer touch-range spells since wizards in general have many spells with bad range (like, check Freezing Pillar, it's basically melee range spell).

And then the combat ended O_o do monsters even exist in some AI groups??

e.g. the ~4 bats on the northwest side of the cave
Yes, these, as well as 3-4 drakes or 3-4 imps simply 1-shot any low level character so you can't really solo-tank them without heals or sacrificing something. Or someone, like a pet or summon.

Bonus point for enemies shooting you out of fog of war which I still don't know if a bug or a feature.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom