Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
When at some point I used to say that PoE portrays Aloth as gay without announcing it, some people made faces at me.

What do you have to say for yourselves now?

Or was I talking about Eder...? :lol:

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Nobody can say that Obsidian doesn't listen to their players. The game now, compared to release, is in a much better state.

In what way is it better exactly? Bug fixes and some cosmetic DLCs are the minimum bar of achievement. The major underlying problems are still there.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Unfortunately Deadfire has the least positive reception of their recent isometric games, which is frustrating considering how many ways it improves over its predecessor. I'm hoping they don't half ass the expansions in order to cut their losses.

Tigranes

Arcane
Nobody can say that Obsidian doesn't listen to their players. The game now, compared to release, is in a much better state.

In what way is it better exactly? Bug fixes and some cosmetic DLCs are the minimum bar of achievement. The major underlying problems are still there.

1.1 plays far better than 1.0.

If you thought a patch would fix the underlying problems, well. That's like hoping a patch gets rid of DOS2's armour system.

Erebus

Arcane
Currently playing with an Island Aumaua from the Archipelago. I've barely reached Neketaka, but from what I've seen so far, the combination does offer plenty of special options/reactions in dialogues.

It makes sense, of course.

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/updates/748

Update #50 - New Patch and What's Coming in July
POSTED: 06/21/2018

Greetings, Watchers!

We hope you've been enjoying the new features and challenges presented by Patch 1.1, released on June 7th. Thanks to our community's continued support and feedback, we've made some slight adjustments and fixes in our newest update, Patch 1.1.1, and have released our fourth free DLC - the "Scalawags Pack", both released today. Head to our forums for the full list of Patch 1.1.1 fixes.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Fscalawags-available-thumb--web.jpg

The "Scalawags Pack" introduces new and additional crew members, including a rowdy Wood Elf cook named Haema, a rather professional Orlan navigator named Coreto, and a familiar Aumauan merchant named Ponamu Bird-Scorned. Haema, Coreto, and Ponamu Bird-Scorned can be found and recruited in Port Maje, Crookspur, and Tikawara, respectively. In addition to the new members you can add to your lovable gang of misfits, the pack also includes new ship upgrades in the form of a living steel anchor made by animancers, a lantern that illuminates your way through the lesser flame blight trapped inside, bright sails made of palm fronds, a monstrous steering wheel made from parts of a Vine Lurker, and a short-range flamethrower to spew Magran's fire at your enemies! And just in case your crew forgets who their captain is, make sure they know who runs their ship with the Savage personality setting that you can set for your Watcher at any time as of our last patch.

Coming in July
As always, the team welcomes your feedback and discussions about the game, and we haven't veered away from our continued commitment to support Deadfire with ongoing feature updates, fixes, and quality of life improvements to make your every adventure in the Deadfire Archipelago the absolute best it can be. July will bring with it a bevy of new features, including the oft-requested stash improvements and in-game mod support, through Patch 1.2. As a sneak peek into 1.2, we want to share with you our planned relationship tracking feature, which shows players a history of the choices they made that affected their relationships with particular companions or factions!

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Frepscreen-greyed-thumb--web.jpg

Additionally, our first expansive DLC, titled "The Beast of Winter", will be released in late July! We can't wait to share in the mysteries and stories that await you in this lore-filled adventure, so be sure to check back regularly to see what we and Rymrgand have in store for you in the weeks to come.

Summer Sale
Steam's summer sale is upon us and Deadfire is getting a discount! If you or someone you know hasn't yet gotten a copy of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, the discount is live now through July 5th.

E3 2018
If you're looking for more Deadfire insights to sink your teeth into in the meantime, Executive Producer, Adam Brennecke, and Lead Producer, Justin Britch, were at E3 to give their thoughts about Deadfire and where it's headed to next. You can check out their interviews with Shacknews and PCGamesN, respectively, below:

Designer Insights
If you ask Design Director, Josh Sawyer, a question about game design, we can't promise he won't write a small thesis in return. Check out his blog post detailing the conversation editor used in both Pillars games that has been in development and use by Obsidian for years. Warning: this post may contain some Deadfire spoilers.

Backer Rewards

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Fdeadfire-physical-rewards--web.jpg

Our rewards are at last at a stage where they can start being sent out, so keep an eye out for notification emails and tracking information over the next couple weeks as our distribution houses begin sending out the first batch of rewards. We apologize again for the delay, and we can't wait for all of our backers to finally get their hands on the physical items they deserve.

Community Corner
We've said it once, and we'll say it forever - we love the passion and creativity we see from our community. It's because of this that we're proud to introduce our all new community page on the Pillars site! Right now you'll be able to see who is streaming the game on Twitch as well as links to threads on the forums. Eventually, this will also hold fan art that you've created and shared with us on Twitter. We also wanted to start highlighting some of what you all have already done here in the Backer Updates. This will range from mod highlights, to fan art, to cosplay. So beginning this month, it is our honor to share with you some of the incredible fan art that we've received for Deadfire.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Ffanart-gauntletto--web.jpg

Artist: Gauntletto

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Ffanart-artmamoon--web.jpg

Artist: ArtMamoon

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Ffanart-smalltwnvampire--web.jpg

Artist: smalltwnvampire

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Ffanart-zaldwhen--web.jpg

Artist: Zaldwhen

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Ffanart-sapiesplayground--web.jpg

Artist: Ssapiesplayground

Thank you again for your continued support. We love hearing from you, and these fixes could not have come without love from our community. If you have any issues, contact us at our support portal to help you on your journey.

Cheers,

The Deadfire Team

The Scalawags Pack is available now on Steam, GOG.com, and Origin, and soon on the Mac App Store pending approval from Apple.

Reach out to us on our various social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and on our forums) and let us know your comments, your critiques, and what you love about the game.

Did you miss the last update? Check it out! To join the conversation on this update, head to our forums!

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yo badler Anthony Davis you marked the DLC "Free to Play" instead of just "Free".

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102730-patch-notes-for-1110064/

Hello Watchers!

The team has been hard at work on the next major patch containing bug fixes and new features. Today we are releasing a patch that contains the Free Scalawags Pack DLC and a handful of fixes that the community has brought up that we wanted to get in sooner than the next big patch that is on the way shortly.

Patch Notes for 1.1.1.0064

Scalawags Pack Free DLC
In conjunction with this patch, we are also releasing the Scalawag's Pack Free DLC! This DLC includes:
  • Three New Crew Members added to the taverns of the Deadfire Archipelago for you to recruit.
  • Five New Ship Upgrades, including sails, cannon, anchors, and more added to shipwrights throughout the game.
  • New Savage personality setting.
Fixes and Updates
Major Issues

• Client no longer crashes when choosing "Quit to Desktop".
  • Mac builds will no longer allow you to toggle the Fullscreen setting via the OSX Menu Dock Bar or via Command+F. This was done to prevent a crash that occurs when doing this action.
Companions/Crew
  • Crew members now heal properly in the Resting Crew slot when there are adequate Medicine supplies.
User Interface
  • News feed no longer clips with Title Screen menu after quitting to Title Screen.
  • Store and Ship results now handle Scaling Text size better and layering of UI has been fixed in a few places.
  • Fixed the Appearance Customization window not scaling down on smaller resolutions.
Audio
  • Strange whiny sound effect no longer plays when opening the main menu.
Quests
  • Onekaza will now properly start Taking Out the Traders quest if you've completed all prior quests in the Huana faction.
  • Castol will now offer you A Glimpse Beyond if players have completed Storms of Poko Kohara and He Waits in Fire and haven't talked to Flaune Elette before ever talking to Castol.
  • It's now possible to return Terms of Trade and Storms of Poko Kohara to Director Castol in the event of Alvari having been banished by the VTC council.
Miscellaneous
  • Fixed skinning issues on Naked Dwarf bodies.
  • Fixed lighting issue in Fort Deadlight that exposed some flip tiles.
  • Various fixes to Partial Hair when head slot item is equipped.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Feargus makes up for Deadfire's poor reception by introducing microtransactions. :cool:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL that dumpsterfire won't stop burning i see. Won't be surprised if they decide to scrap the last two DLCs or just rush them. The first one won't sell at all. Hope that the feeling of moral superiority was worth it.

I managed to play a bit of Deadfire until 7th level for characters. I am loving the game up until now. If PoE1 was looking like Sanitarium for me, Deadfire is like playing Commandos as an RPG. Everything is much better than POE1 except for Durance and Grieving Mother that I really miss ( and the level of quality writing thanks to MCA). But the ship system for me (fresh returned from my first voyage) is really done with care. I bet you Obsidian got feedback from a former sailor for this :) Hope the rest of the game is like everything I have seen until now. It is already 10 times better than D:OS in my eyes.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Both Sanitarium and Commandos are better games than either PoE1 or 2. Well, it depends how we define 'game'. But both Sanitarium and Commandos are much more focused, know what they want to be and do it very well, while PoE1 and 2 meander about and have very inconsistent quality. The only pretty good things about PoE2 up to now is Fort Deadlight and the Old City, everything else is worse, including Neketaka. They aren't bad, though, they are actually good, but not as good as FD and OC. The quest design, writing and small maps really hinder Neketaka, a whole district is one road that is a little longer than the bathhouse and the fetch quests dominate. For 1 Arkemyr's Manor or even the trip to the Beyond, you have 3-4 fetch quests, like "go (very easily) steal the crates from the mill", "go get my bag from the bathhouse", "go talk to some old woman for Serafen", etc.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well pointing out games that are better than Deadfire is not a hard thing. The challenge is pointing rpgs that are worst than Deadfire. The game is far too mediocre to have accurate comparison.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
"Focused experience" is not necessarily a better experience. However there is a disparity between what PoE1/2 tries to do, and how it executes it. That is, they are trying to tell a fairly linear and controlled story which is better executed as a focused experience, while at the same time trying to create an open-world game with exploration and factions.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The only pretty good things about PoE2 up to now is Fort Deadlight and the Old City, everything else is worse, including Neketaka.

Fort Deadlight, The Old City, and Neketaka aren't just "pretty good," they're brilliant examples of how these locations should be designed in every RPG. That doesn't make the rest of the content bad however.

Splintered Reef is good, Ori o Koiki is good, Drowned Barrows is good, Poko Kohara is good, The Hanging Sepulchers is good, Ashen Maw is good, Cignath Mor is good. Even small locations like The Hall of the Unseen, Sandswept Ruins, and Oathbinders Sanctum are good.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, they aren't brilliant. Writing in general is lacking and quest design is lacking in Neketaka. Which means they are just (pretty) good. Neketaka is worse than Fort Deadlight and Old City in terms of quality, so it's just good (in the context of the current gaming climate).

frajaq

Erudite
Neketaka is good until the fetch quests kill your goodwill by endless loading screens

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom