Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
Compelling story - remains to be seen.

I think I can add 2 extra observations for game's writing

1) It needs another good editing pass and;

2) I have a feeling that voice acting cut on amount of options in dialogue, and maybe even quests. There is nearly not an amount of interactions with NPCs and companions you had in PoE1, to the point that dialogue trees with companions barely scratch the basics. That includes basic stuff like lacking option to ask who the person is really, or use skills in dialogue.

I generally feel locations are too big for the amount of relevant quests and NPCs they have.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would just slap the first 2 and a half minutes from Polovetsian Dances in place of any wilderness theme, and it would be perfect in 90% of the cases.

jaydee2k

Savant
Sadly this game is a little buggy. I stopped for now. Needs at least a month full of fixes...
Everything else is good...

Mazisky

Magister
I'm curious why is it so hard to live up to the soundtracks of the Infinity Engine games. Even the weaker ones are much better than the soundtracks in POE1, and appearantly POE2. I won't go as far as saying that the POE soundtracks are shit, because there are songs I like in them, but overall they don't come close to Michael Hoenig's tracks in BG, or Jeremy Soule in IWD. I guess this new generation of composers are trying too hard to sound epic and different.

If you remember, the tracks in the IE games were kind of simplistic (not in a bad way). They were not huge orchestrated performances, most of the times they featured only a few instruments and had a great melody. But many of the new ones are just meh, because they try to be bombastic.

Yeah this bothers me too. Music and ambient work have gone the same way as writing style and artwork: Moar is better. Instead of simple but believeable tunes we get these ridiculously overwrought and epic scores that sound just like WoW armour looks.

There was a timeperiod with some truly great soundtracks. BG and IWD like you mentioned, but also Mark Morgan's insanely good tracks for Fallout 1&2 (1997, 1998), Matt Uelmen's Diablo 2 (2000, same year as IWD) and Jeremy Soule's Morrowind (2002). If you want an extreme example, compare Starcraft 1 (1998) and SC2 (2010). I know it's not an rpg but it shows the change in style at Blizzard.

I mean, listen to this stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6qt_70iGk4

You forgot warcraft 2 and ufo defense ost, those are the finest soundtracks of 90's pc gaming

Hellion

Arcane
It's true that there's not much urgency in the way the plot is presented, but from our perspective it's not like Eothas is trying to destroy the universe or something and we need to stop him immediately. For all we know at the beginning, he's just taking a stroll through the Archipelago for some reason, and we just want to see where he's going.

If I recall correctly there is an in-game explanation of sorts later on regarding the fact that Eothas seems to be taking his time. It's not the most brilliant or convincing, but at least it's there.

PS. Someone just bought my Tekehu card on Steam Market for 0,11 euro cents.

#TheArtOfTheDeal

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really like the ship mechanics. I didn't think I would, but it is enjoyable and a good money sink. Hopefully the ship will keep the economy in check for a while at least.

Prime Junta

Story urgency is unnecessary in an open world sandbox game. You can have literally same plot hook and just say confront eothas when capable.

Except in reality of the game Eothas does not sit on the beach catching lobsters waiting to be defeated. Wtf. You guys are seriously stupid.

So you prefer a fake plot urgency that doesn't actually mean anything when you're playing the game? :galaxybrain:

Quatlo

Arcane
Please tell me there is a way to disable the narrator. Im going insane because of her constant yapping.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I got a chance to play my Thaumaturge (Priest of Eothas/Evoker) last night for about 30 minutes. I am finding Thaumaturge pretty flexible between damage and healing, although I cannot tell whether it is due to the decrease in difficulty on PotD or last minute buffs to priests/wizards. Otherwise, Priest of Eothas is proving to be very fluffy for reactive dialogue. Priest of Berath also appears to have a lot of flavor text.

On my second pass with my Thaumaturge I just noticed that your performance in the initial ship battle can affect what crew are available to find/rescue quest. Specifically, the valian woman died in my first pass, but survived in my second pass and was part of the search & rescue quest. I thought it was a nice touch.

Story urgency is unnecessary in an open world sandbox game. You can have literally same plot hook and just say confront eothas when capable.

Except in reality of the game Eothas does not sit on the beach catching lobsters waiting to be defeated. Wtf. You guys are seriously stupid.

So you prefer a fake plot urgency that doesn't actually mean anything when you're playing the game? :galaxybrain:
I am not too far into the game, but it would be a nice touch/feature if you received warnings/consequences for being too far away from Eothas, similar to the water chip in Fallout 1.

Shadenuat

Arcane
At least the designer who was doing stats for fantasy lesbian parrot girl and snowflake gay waterbending godlike wasn't a cat mashing buttons randomly. Finally two characters with some actual strengths in their stats.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
On my second pass with my Thaumaturge I just noticed that your performance in the initial ship battle can affect what crew are available to find/rescue quest. Specifically, the valian woman died in my first pass, but survived in my second pass and was part of the search & rescue quest. I thought it was a nice touch.
In my wife's playthrough on Classic, Irrena survived, and in mine on Veteran she was killed. The inclined part is that anyone can die in that first combat, including Eder, and they'll be missing from the rest of the game, just like that.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I see what you did there :lol:

KBh1mp.jpg

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The game seems to not gather any attention at all, even after 2 days it barely scraped 18k players online and compared with D:OS 2 at the same time, which had almost 90k, this one is a complete fucking disaster.

Let's look at some other releases from the past couple of weeks.

Battletech- 35k players online day one, released on fucking Monday
Frostpunk-28k day one, monday release as well

Don't come at me with the ''wait for the weekend'' bullshit, as a promising sequel, this game is a fucking failure of epic proportions and let's remember that they even went over the budget with VO, I don't even want to think what PowerTrip™️ Feargus is going to do about this, but it ain't gonna be pretty seeing that fat little freak abusing his employers.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The game seems to not gather any attention at all, even after 2 days it barely scraped 18k players online and compared with D:OS 2 at the same time, which had almost 90k, this one is a complete fucking disaster.

Let's look at some other releases from the past couple of weeks.

Battletech- 35k players online day one, released on fucking Monday
Frostpunk-28k day one, monday release as well

Don't come at me with the ''wait for the weekend'' bullshit, as a promising sequel, this game is a fucking failure of epic proportions and let's remember that they even went over the budget with VO, I don't even want to think what PowerTrip™️ Feargus is going to do about this, but it ain't gonna be pretty seeing that fat little freak abusing his employers.
Bad thing about it is that world at large will not understand the true failings, but think that cRPGs are dead again.. :(

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Compelling story - remains to be seen.

I think I can add 2 extra observations for game's writing

1) It needs another good editing pass and;

2) I have a feeling that voice acting cut on amount of options in dialogue, and maybe even quests. There is nearly not an amount of interactions with NPCs and companions you had in PoE1, to the point that dialogue trees with companions barely scratch the basics. That includes basic stuff like lacking option to ask who the person is really, or use skills in dialogue.

I generally feel locations are too big for the amount of relevant quests and NPCs they have.
I was under the impression the full VO thing was a late addition to the whole ordeal. They might've cut a lot of fluff so VO won't be as expensive. Such a waste of resources...

Shadenuat

Arcane
The ever feared narrator with glitchy voice comes back in plot relevant text slides sometimes. But not too often.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom