Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Coding/Hacking Thread

Athelas

Arcane
Wait, I thought Bester stopped updating it? Who's working on it?

What exactly does the "Improved AI" option in IE Mod 4.11 do?
Well, whatever it does, it can't be (much) worse than the current A.I.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
From the Modding Framework site

BWallace said:
Improved AI - enemies more likely to switch targets instead of circling looking for a way to reach current target
Break off engagements when having trouble reaching the target before selecting a new target

The first bit means he's updated the frequency of the target re-acquistion loop while moving, which I asked Obsidian to do in the beta via bug report.

Second bit I'm not sure what that does exactly.

This guy is p. good - made it easy to port the mod to new versions (automatic instead of Bester's 6 hour+ manual fixing) and adding new features

bman654 (BWallace) said:
FYI I just uploaded IEMod 1.11 where I've attempted to improve this. The AI is more proactive about switching to a different target when it is having trouble reaching its current target. There are still times when an enemy will just inexplicably stand there doing nothing--I've not yet tracked down the cause of that. But it does seem to play less ring-around-the-rosey now.

I PMed him about the units standing still, as I'm 99% sure I know the cause of that issue, should be an easy fix.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
First off , :salute: to the works modder added to this game. Saw quite a few interesting things on the nexus , IE mod seem a must . Is any other work the install? Saw a ''better GFX mod'' ,Screenshot and comments did not sold me tho. Anything i should care for?

And yeah , the +3 Lvls cap should have been something that halve XP. I dont see the use in another 3 lvls...maybe in PotD ? Havent strolled in that difficulty yet.
Adn last question....any other mods or nifty thing outside the nexus?

I downloaded Sharp and Furious but I didn't like the settings it had, like HDR and Bloom enabled so I tweeked my own settings file, here's how PoE looks with my settings vs. original:
iVNHIsD.jpg

pDwLYWb.jpg

Here's my settings-file.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
yeah, download and install the latest one from here and use my settings-file. You can tune the sharpness up/down if you like to by changing one line under "LumaSharpen settings":
#define sharp_strength 0.60 // [0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening

So, download sweetfx and install, copy my settings-file to \pillars of eternity\sweetfx\

Khorne

Arbiter
There is no cfg file where one defines global Screenshake and SoulMemoryCameraEnable or I had missed something obvious?
Is it possible that these things are defined separately in each script and cannot be disabled without repacking the whole lot of them?

ushas

Savant

BWallace said:
Improved AI - enemies more likely to switch targets instead of circling looking for a way to reach current target
Break off engagements when having trouble reaching the target before selecting a new target

The first bit means he's updated the frequency of the target re-acquistion loop while moving, which I asked Obsidian to do in the beta via bug report.

There is this added:
Code:
+ if (targetIsHardToReach)
+ {
+        this.m_ai.CancelAllEngagements();
+ }
+
I wonder whether it relates to those long engagement lines, which happen sometimes. So when the unit cannot reach the target, the code also cancels all unit's engagements? Perhaps it also helps with the next target reevaluation, or with that graphical glitch...

agris

Arcane
Patron

BWallace said:

This guy is p. good - made it easy to port the mod to new versions (automatic instead of Bester's 6 hour+ manual fixing) and adding new features

bman654 (BWallace) said:
FYI I just uploaded IEMod 1.11 where I've attempted to improve this. The AI is more proactive about switching to a different target when it is having trouble reaching its current target. There are still times when an enemy will just inexplicably stand there doing nothing--I've not yet tracked down the cause of that. But it does seem to play less ring-around-the-rosey now.

I PMed him about the units standing still, as I'm 99% sure I know the cause of that issue, should be an easy fix.
He is good, he's agreed to split the PotD stat buffs into a separate option, so we can tune spawns vs stat-buffs at all difficulty levels. I've also asked him to allow for the rotation of the ability bar to a vertical orientation (to go with the vertical portraits that Bester implemented) and to break up the action hotbar into it's quick items / weapon sets / abilities / spells functional units. That's a step closer to implementing a Grotesque-esque UI.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Ninjerk

Arcane
What exactly does the "Improved AI" option in IE Mod 4.11 do?

I looked in the code and all it does is close PoE down then Launch something called Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn.exe ?

Maybe someone else knows more?
Edgy.jpg
goon fag detected

Edgy gets thrown around here so much that it has lost all meaning..

:deadhorse:
the .jpg thing is a SA meme, I think

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Had a PM chat with BWallace on the OE boards and he's fixed a lot of the bugs with enemy targeting/pathfinding

I told him the problems I found post BB v480 and why i think they occur and he replied a day later with this

BWallace said:
ok i think I brute-forced a solution to the problem. Reduced how far out they look for obstacles, and whenever they get stuck they switch targets rather than go into the standing animation.

That should fix some of the dumbfuckery.

However I can think of a potential issue but I don't care to test it. Can someone jam a bunch of enemies in a doorway and see if they infinitely switch targets over and over again if they get stuck? (with the Improved AI box ticked)

Naraya

Arcane
OK... something happened to my game. I doubt it's related, but it happened roughly when I recruited the ranger girl. Simply put, I can't attack anyone - my party won't obey my orders and will only retaliate, ie. only attack if someone if attacking them, and only sometimes... Has anyone encountered this problem? Nothing seems to work...

I have put a short video as an example of this issue:

The problem is extremely visible from 0:35 onwards, when I start attacking Dirty Rigbert. I'm clicking like mad yet my guys just run around him.

Naraya

Arcane
Not sure, I have IE mod v14 installed (but it happened with v12 as well so I doubt it's IE - UNLESS it's the new 'Improved AI' option) with the latest GoG patch (1.0.4).

Sensuki

Arcane
Turn the Improved AI bit off, test it without. Chances are it's buggy.

If that fixes it I'll link BWallace to your posts.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
That's very presumptuous. It's an imageboard meme.
OK... something happened to my game. I doubt it's related, but it happened roughly when I recruited the ranger girl. Simply put, I can't attack anyone - my party won't obey my orders and will only retaliate, ie. only attack if someone if attacking them, and only sometimes... Has anyone encountered this problem? Nothing seems to work...

I have put a short video as an example of this issue:

The problem is extremely visible from 0:35 onwards, when I start attacking Dirty Rigbert. I'm clicking like mad yet my guys just run around him.

When this occurs, pause the game (don't quit), get your output.txt in the game's folder and upload it somewhere. If it's the IEMod's error, Bwallace will most likely be able to deal with it by looking at that file.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom