Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Bonerbill

The problem with that scenario is evil, neutral, and pacifist characters would be out of luck

perfect example of why superficial "c and c", or what some in the gaming press call "checklist design", is not always necessary for good RPG design and in fact, can often detract.

i prefer a sure authorial hand guiding game design instead of an adherence to superfluous state branching, but striking that balance is a big crux in these types of RPGs I suppose.

for me and many others whether or not an RPG's "quests" meet some percentage ratio of offering A/B/C alternative outcomes (of which none ever have any meaningful change in game play because modern game assets don't allow it) is usually of least importance when ruminating over an RPG's game play.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I just hated the rest because they were weak.

Not every companion should guzzle steroids for breakfast and be your stereotypical strong character, though you probably mean "weak" as in poorly executed. In that case, that is a subjective opinion that I can't break down further without more information.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I dont think that Raedric is written as a monster or we cant defend his choices. In my playthroughs I never kill the Raedric and, indeed, his animancer, Osrya, is the only person in the whole game that really know suspects that the Legacy is the fault of lack of souls in newborns.

What is the justification for doing what he is doing, apart from vague superstitions?
He doesn't live in 21 century. I see nothing wrong when he is put in the setting he is in. A lord ruling as he see fit by mandate of haven! I kill him only for the loot and experience and the hopes of getting that nice castle.

Mazisky

Magister
How people could prefer Eder over Durance it's beyond me.
Eder (well, actuallly, Aloth as well) was (is?) totally dull and bland.
And it's not asslicking MCA. He was objectively the only character with some personality.

Eder was a pleasant and nice character, a real bro.

But considering the average codex user behaviour, i am not surprised that people like edgy characters more.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How people could prefer Eder over Durance it's beyond me.
Eder (well, actuallly, Aloth as well) was (is?) totally dull and bland.
And it's not asslicking MCA. He was objectively the only character with some personality.

Eder was a pleasant and nice character, a real bro.

But considering the average codex user behaviour, i am not surprised that people like edgy characters more.
Yeah,he wasn't bad character,i liked having him in my party. I also liked the hunter dwarf. She have some interesting stories of distant lands.

axedice

Cipher
Both Eder and Sagani are keepers :love:

Has anyone compiled the available spells in the beta? The removal of feats bothers me aswell, but the worst offender would be reducing spells to flashy "special attacks" to keep the balance
:balance:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's easy to write normal people
Then why we don't see normal people in games? Every companion must be speshul snowflake. And every next one more speshul than previous.
Because normal people get steady jobs and work for a living instead of choosing the oh so glorious career of a murderhobo
That mercenary girl from the prologue hired to protect the caravan was probably the most normal person in your party, and she died
This is very true. The "normal people" are the farmer and the miller and the two drunk guys in the inn and so on. Why would you follow a guy that speaks to spirits and runs around killing stuff if you are a normal, sane person? :P

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Then why we don't see normal people in games? Every companion must be speshul snowflake. And every next one more speshul than previous.
Because normal people get steady jobs and work for a living instead of choosing the oh so glorious career of a murderhobo
That mercenary girl from the prologue hired to protect the caravan was probably the most normal person in your party, and she died
This is very true. The "normal people" are the farmer and the miller and the two drunk guys in the inn and so on. Why would you follow a guy that speaks to spirits and runs around killing stuff if you are a normal, sane person? :P
Some times normal people get bored and want something not normal. Also hobokillers get the each to be normal,have farm,wife,two kids and one the chosen orphan that gets to see them dead and vow revenge!

Sizzle

Arcane
I wonder if there is a quest line where you save/free the fishmen to the detriment of the village.

Yup :) Well... not to the detriment of the entire village, but certainly to the detriment of the hunter who asked you to wipe out the fishmen.

Mazisky

Magister
Eder and Sagani felt much more natural and realistic characters for me, thus i enjoyed them more than "i need to be edgy, notice me" Durance.

Salvo

Arcane
Eder and Sagani felt much more natural and realistic characters for me, thus i enjoyed them more than "i need to be edgy, notice me" Durance.

Durance's backstory and his involvement in the Saint's War though are among the best parts of PoE's lore! (of course this is also because the Saint's War is amazing)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I liked all of them. There is need of normal reliable people and edgy ones. The mother was interesting character to,sadly she didn't fit the game. She would have been far better in some darker rpg like torment. The colour palette of the game was too bright and happy for her...it is strange i know ;) .

2house2fly

Magister
In Eder's case it's because he's worried he might get pogrommed at any moment if he stays in Gilded Vale, and because he's been haunted by his brother's death since the war and thinks a watcher might be able to help him get closure.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
In Eder's case it's because he's worried he might get pogrommed at any moment if he stays in Gilded Vale, and because he's been haunted by his brother's death since the war and thinks a watcher might be able to help him get closure.
Yeah and thus he always feels like the most "natural" from all the companions. He has the most "seamless" integration to the party

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
"normal people" don't exist in reality. Not the way you guys mean.
Well most people are not possessed by demons or are insane priests of some god... "Normal" as in having "normal" motivations and wishes is what we are talking about I guess

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Bullshit. Eder's incredibly dull and meek. He seems seamless because he's barely there. Durance enters like a bulldozer and sweeps up the party in his anger and conviction. He's the only one who should be and has a reason to be in the party. I understand what Avellone was going for and he would've been great if Obs hadn't butchered him.

Starwars

Arcane
I'm getting a feeling of deja vu... In fact, I'm getting a feeling of deja vu that I've gotten this feeling of deja vu several times before about the same damn thing being discussed before by the same damn people as before using the same damn arguments as before.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm getting a feeling of deja vu... In fact, I'm getting a feeling of deja vu that I've gotten this feeling of deja vu several times before about the same damn thing being discussed before by the same damn people as before using the same damn arguments as before.
It is normal mate,there are not many themes to be discussed about rpgs. People can tell their opinion about the game in a single sentence. The game writing was bad,the character writing was good and the combat is meh...balanced.

Bonerbill

Augur

And speaking of deju vu, you're always complaining about what people are posting.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't see 7 deja vus in your post so I rate your post :2/5:

Starwars

Arcane

And speaking of deju vu, you're always complaining about what people are posting.

This is definitely true. Let's schedule another one of these round tables in a month or so again so we can keep it all going.

So what should we discuss next? Maybe another round of the backer thing being censored again in PoE1?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
We all live in the endless cycle of repetition!
tenor.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom