Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pirate RPG's and Mods

Saxon1974

Prophet
Since I have been in the mood for a pirate RPG lately and not ready to pay 50$ for Risen 2 I found these 2 Large Mods:

This one is for City of Abandonded Ships 2:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gentlemen-of-fortune

And this is for pirates of the caribbean;

I tried playing this one and it still appears pretty buggy, I was getting stuck in walls and falling through floors. Unfortunate because it looks pretty good.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/

So anyone plays these and impressions?

spectre

Arcane
This is ruskie coding, you have to live with the bugs to an extent. Save often, in different slots, and all that.
I actually only played Gentlemen of Fortune, fun but started being repetitive after a while. The main quest line didn't agree with me that much, and free-roaming only last for so long.
Still, it's the game to get when you're into some rpg-ey booty plundering.

Morkar Left

These are basically your only alternatives when you want to have some rpg in it. GoF is on hold but it seems that a german mod could replace it because they seem to reorganize themselves maybe with an english translation as well? For all things modding CoAS and PotC look at the pirates ahoy forum

spectre

Arcane
That pirates! remake is a prett fun, light-hearted game. Remember playing the crap out of it.
To be honest, after you played CoAS, there's little point in going back to it cause it feels so damn shallow. I actually came out looking for the CoAS series because I wanted something more serious and with more depth.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I check out New Horizons about once every year. It's still far from being finished or even feature-complete (and i doubt it ever will be), but it still manages to scratch my pirate itch enough for tens of hours until i run into a serious bug or two. It's really impressive, what these guys have managed to squeeze out of POTC. BUT! If you want a complete bugfree experience, that you can play from start to finish then steer clear. Also, let me warn you, that if you think modern ARPG-s like Risen 2 or Witcher 2 have bad melee combat, you will be scarred by this game. You must have certain masochism traits in you, to help you endure bad parts and thus get to see the good parts. It's kind of like Gothic III with sailing and pirates in this regard.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You guys remember the combat system in Sea Dogs? That was an interesting approach, where your and your opponent's strength not only is determined by skills but also by the size of your crew.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
There's also Dark Waters, a mod series for Neverwinter Nights 2. Three parts, the first one is sort of an introduction to the setting and does not feature any pirate stuff, but is interesting anyway, and other two are full-scale marine adventures.
The author is a really talented modder and coder, and made a lot of little gimmicks, puzzles and mini-games using the engine - some of them crappy and useless, some pretty interesting (like the collectible card game).
link

Saxon1974

Prophet
I check out New Horizons about once every year. It's still far from being finished or even feature-complete (and i doubt it ever will be), but it still manages to scratch my pirate itch enough for tens of hours until i run into a serious bug or two. It's really impressive, what these guys have managed to squeeze out of POTC. BUT! If you want a complete bugfree experience, that you can play from start to finish then steer clear. Also, let me warn you, that if you think modern ARPG-s like Risen 2 or Witcher 2 have bad melee combat, you will be scarred by this game. You must have certain masochism traits in you, to help you endure bad parts and thus get to see the good parts. It's kind of like Gothic III with sailing and pirates in this regard.

Ok, well I wll probably check out the 2 mods at some point then, sounds like they might be fun if my expectations arent too high...thanks

Well, if you like the Mount&Blade games there's a Pirate M&B in production

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/02/naval-gazing-caribbean/

Might be worth checking out once it gets released.

Saw that, its on my watch list, love M&B

Since I have been in the mood for a pirate RPG lately

Not an RPG per-se, but loads of fun:

Sid Meier's Pirates! (Live the Life)

Played this quite a bit very good. Personally I liked the C64 original Pirates! better. It was one of my favorites in my youth.

This is ruskie coding, you have to live with the bugs to an extent. Save often, in different slots, and all that.
I actually only played Gentlemen of Fortune, fun but started being repetitive after a while. The main quest line didn't agree with me that much, and free-roaming only last for so long.
Still, it's the game to get when you're into some rpg-ey booty plundering.

So sounds like they are fully playable though even though there are a decent amount of bugs. I could proabably live with that if they are fun.

Morkar Left

They are fully playable. Balance and some exploits is more annoying than bugs. For PotC you want to tweak with the gamesettings till you found the right difficulty/settings.

MisterStone

Arcane
You can try Pirates of the Western Seas, which was developed by Tom Proudft (who is known for Natuk and Nalakh). It never made it out of alpha stage, and development is pretty much dead as far as I know. But there is a playable demo with many hours worth of content. If you like squad strategy games you should like it. Ship to ship combat is pretty rudimentary though, but the squad combat business is pretty nifty (as with Natuk).

http://www.proudft.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=7.0

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Pirates! with turn based tactical battles, both ship to ship and when attacking towns and castles, and RPG mechanics instead of the action mini games, would have been fantastic.
Too bad all Sid Meier seemed to do with all his updates and remakes was to make the game look prettier.

Gregz

Arcane
Pirates! with turn based tactical battles, both ship to ship and when attacking towns and castles, and RPG mechanics instead of the action mini games, would have been fantastic.
Too bad all Sid Meier seemed to do with all his updates and remakes was to make the game look prettier.

I enjoy turn based as much as the next Codexer, but something about the live-action elements of Pirates! kept things fresh and exciting. Timing your cannon fire, turning into the wind just right, tacking, fencing, etc. The game felt very alive. I enjoyed both the original and the sequel, they are different enough to make each worth playing.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
considering how they were the first (and by the looks of it, will be the last) people to get mounted combat right, I think they can do naval battles right too.

Except this isn't TaleWorlds making the game, but some russian dev. Still, I'm hopeful.

mondblut

Arcane
You can try Pirates of the Western Seas, which was developed by Tom Proudft (who is known for Natuk and Nalakh). It never made it out of alpha stage, and development is pretty much dead as far as I know. But there is a playable demo with many hours worth of content.

Not a demo, a complete big game fully playable to the end (after a patch), even if kinda barebones at length.

Erebus

Arcane
As mentioned, the second and third mod of the NWN2 trilogy "Dark Waters" are pirate adventures... among other things. I found the trilogy quite entertaining.

I've only played the remake of Sid Meier's game. Pretty entertaining at first. After a while, it gets reeaaally repetitive.

Morkar Left

But they are? The mods mentioned are for the series ;)

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
there should totally be a swashbuckling pirate roguelike

I consider that horrible treasure finding shit in sid meier's pirates a rather fatal flaw

and the lack of grimdark romance options for my crew of course

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom