Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Planescape Torments Me

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Melissan said:
Castanova said:
DraQ said:
PST is good for what it is.

The point is not that anyone criticizes PST for what it isn't, per se, and therefore misses the point of the game.
That's what baffles me. Everyone agrees that fighting, questing, exploring, and sneaking were poor, yet overall the game is GOD, the most deepest of all RPGs, and is above any criticism. At first, I thought it was a joke but now that everyones turning on me I feel like I'm in a cult. I wish I said nothing at all about it and waited for years until I was allowed to say what I really think.

It's like Pippo Inzaghi. He is not very strong, not very fast, not very tall, doesn't run too much or sacrifice for the team, his technique is nothing special. He acts too much and irritates both referees and fans with his whining.
Although many dislike him, he is still a fantastic player.

Replace every is with was.

Melissan said:
Look, I like reading, but not in games (I don't even like kindle)

morrigan3.png

...Couldn't resist. But really, why did you even come to a crpg forum, then? Yeah, you are free to come in and say what you think (just like everyone else is allowed to call you a turd for it), but it looks like a waste of time to me.

*Goes to Super Mario forum*

"Look, I like jumping, but not in games"

-----------

edit: I'm assuming Jaesun's "Interesting..." commentary was a joke and you're not Drog.

oh, and

Melissan said:
Draq, an obvious troll too. Have you thought of that? I've only been here for a few days but all I saw you do is make sarcastic comments, post smug smilies, join dates, and tell everyone how smart you are.

He can't avoid it.

Castanova

Prophet
Lord Andre said:
Name the game that you consider is the best RPG. I'm curios. No troll.

I'm not going to pick a "best" RPG because that invites extraneous argumentation. An RPG that I very much enjoyed recently would be Knights of the Chalice, although by no means is it perfect. I have, in the past, enjoyed other styles of RPG as well, though.

Hamster said:
So, your problem with PST is that it is not an open world 3D TES game?

Um, no?

And, it doesn't get us any closer to being able to distinguish good gameplay from shit gameplay.

A game is a ruleset system that one or more players interact with (interaction implies feedback), that has explicit goal(s). Any game that isn't terrible involves challenge, which implies that the player must learn new skills in order to succeed.

I'd say a good game is one where it's fun to interact with the ruleset in an attempt to complete the goal. Modern single player games are bad because it's not fun to interact with the ruleset in an attempt to complete the goal. Typically this is because (a) they're too easy (b) the ruleset is not interesting (c) the game is challenging but for the wrong reasons (d) you don't have to learn anything to succeed (e) the game is TOO difficult (f) reasons I haven't though of?

Mass market consumers don't care because game publishers have discovered something better than fun: accomplishment. Kids can have fun doing anything; they can go out with their friends, smoke cigarettes, and have a great time. But there is no other competing medium that allows you to exchange money for the feeling of accomplishment (besides, maybe philanthropism, but kids don't usually do that), which feels deeper and is self-reinforcing. It's not just kids, too. Young adults are especially susceptible because a lot of young adults have crap jobs that don't fulfill them which leads them to feel like they could accomplish more.

We know what the ruleset is. What's the goal of PST? As designed, the goal of the game is to finish it. How do you finish it? By reading dialogs, occasionally solving adventure-game-esque item puzzles, and perhaps fighting some monsters. What is challenging about PST? Nothing besides certain combat encounters but a lot of times you can skip the combat entirely and, if not, it feels like a nuisance. The dialog certainly isn't challenging. The adventure-game aspect isn't challenging. I'd venture to say that you don't need to learn very much to succeed, either, since typically the main thing you need to learn in a cRPG is how to win combat encounters. Since it's not an action game, there is no visceral fun to be had either. Because the main source of challenge in PST feels mostly like a nuisance, then I'd say it falls between category (a) -- too easy, and (c) above -- challenging for the wrong reasons.

A lot of you say you enjoy going around PST and interacting with NPCs in order to gain personal knowledge about the story and world. That's not gameplay, though. That's, if I'm being charitable, more like a world simulation. If I'm not being charitable, it's a tedious method of dispensing story/lore with minor simulation aspects.

A point and click adventure game with seemingly no loss conditions, like Monkey Island, is still a game. The ruleset is clearly defined and, in a good example of the genre, it is fun to interact with the ruleset in order to accomplish the challenging goal (beat the game via solving puzzles). Monkey Island does have a loss condition, though: failure to complete a puzzle. You just don't get a YOU LOSE screen attached to it. A bad old adventure game is typically too difficult (e) and therefore progressing is no fun because you do it by chance (randomly clicking items on the environment, for example). A bad new adventure game is typically too easy.

Why is Monkey Island a good GAME and PST possibly a bad GAME, when they both involve extensive dialogs with fictional characters and lots of walking around environments? The reason is because the dialog in Monkey Island colors the gameplay - i.e., beyond simply enjoying what characters say, you're also learning key information that you need to solve the challenges. In PST, you also learn information that helps but you largely don't NEED that help in the first place. Your progress in PST is mostly stopped by invisible game state flags that are tripped by simply selecting certain conversation options, not by puzzles that you, as a player, have to figure out. In other words, I'm 75% of the way through PST right now, and the game never really tests me, as a player, to see if I'm even paying attention.

Zomg said:
Earlier in the thread you said, Man, U7 is great. U7 is also basically devoid of gameplay, in a slightly different configuration than PS:T. So we ain't playing them for gameplay. We are playing them to pretend or to get behavioral reward stimulation.

I didn't say U7 is great, I said the beginning is great. I didn't really enjoy U7 after that. I do get your point though... and over the years I have consciously changed my behavior to reflect this. For example, I try to avoid any RPGs, or games in general, that force the player to run errands (I'm making an exception for PST). I spend less time gaming now but I enjoy it more. Basically, if a game is ONLY "enjoyable" because it manipulates my human need to feel like I've accomplished something where, really, I accomplished nothing, I try to avoid it. This rules out a ton of RPGs, obviously, even older ones. Roguelikes, for example, sidestep this because winning them actually IS something of an accomplishment. Obviously, you don't need to be a rocket scientist but you get what I mean hopefully.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Castanova said:
Why is Monkey Island a good GAME and PST possibly a bad GAME, when they both involve extensive dialogs with fictional characters and lots of walking around environments? The reason is because the dialog in Monkey Island colors the gameplay - i.e., beyond simply enjoying what characters say, you're also learning key information that you need to solve the challenges. In PST, you also learn information that helps but you largely don't NEED that help in the first place. Your progress in PST is mostly stopped by invisible game state flags that are tripped by simply selecting certain conversation options, not by puzzles that you, as a player, have to figure out. In other words, I'm 75% of the way through PST right now, and the game never ever tests me, as a player, to see if I'm even paying attention.

Just to clarify, you're claiming that PST is too easy? That playing it, you don't learn key information that you need to solve the challenges? That there are no parts which require you, as a player, to figure out the correct solution to problems? That the game will never test if you are paying attention to what is being said? That there is no bad outcome for your choices in the game, and no consequences for different in-character choices made? In other words, that it's impossible to totally avoid not failing in PST?

EDIT: typing is teh hard.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
You want challenge? You want to feel you accomplished something? Who told you PST offers anything like that? And since when is there a lack of games that offer that? What, you have nothing else to play? Why do you insist on playing the game that is clearly not made to satisfy your gaming needs?

acolyte

Educated
I don't think gameplay is so closely connected to winning or overcoming challenges, much less a synonym for these. I know there is actually established theory behind gameplay and such concepts, unfortunately I'm not very familiar.

Gameplay describes the interaction with a game, through it's game mechanics. (based on what I know, that's the best short definition)

It's what separates interactive from non-interactive recreation mediums. Any interactive game by definition has gameplay. Else it's not interactive, and therefore not a game .

One may not like a particular type of gameplay (I don't like adverture games' gameplay at all), but that doesn't say anything about the existenece or quality of said gameplay.

Castanova

Prophet
Hamster said:
You want challenge? You want to feel you accomplished something? Who told you PST offers anything like that? And since when is there a lack of games that offer that? What, you have nothing else to play? Why do you insist on playing the game that is clearly not made to satisfy your gaming needs?

It's ironic that someone defending a "storyfag" RPG like PST repeatedly fails on reading comprehension.

acolyte said:
Gameplay describes the interaction with a game, through it's game mechanics.

First of all, this is a circular definition. If you mean "Gameplay describes the interaction with a ruleset through its mechanics" then what you're describing is most likely a simulation, or an interactive experience, not a game... unless of course the ruleset includes some form of a win/loss mechanism.

The point is that PST has very little gameplay and what gameplay it has is bad, not that I personally don't like it.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Castanova said:
Hamster said:

It's ironic that someone defending a "storyfag" RPG like PST repeatedly fails on reading comprehension.

Yes, i can see the irony of somebody defending PST skiping most of your rants, but thats because
you seem to be again and again trying to prove that PST has almost no gameplay and by some defenition can barely be called a game. Thing is, everybody knows that. It's kinda exactly what PST is famous for. If you don't like that concept, why bother with PST?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
First post :
Castanova said:
Good lord is this game boring

Later...
Castanova said:
PST is incredibly linear

Warming-up...
Castanova said:
Sure, PST actually is a game, to some extent

Getting hot...
Castanova said:
Monkey Island a good GAME and PST possibly a bad GAME

Boiling point !
Castanova said:
The point is that PST has very little gameplay and what gameplay it has is bad, not that I personally don't like it.

Alright, plane tickets, bitch !

Get it ? Plane tickets... since it's like... plane travel... or some shit.

MasPingon

Arcane
Castanova: I don't like oranges, they don't even taste like tomatoes

Rpgcodex: But why would oranges teste like tomatoes?

Castanova: Because I like them, vegetables are good

Rpgcodex: But oranges are fruits you silly! If you like vegetables try cucumbers, potatoes etc

Castanova: I don't like oranges, they don't even taste like tomatoes

Castanova

Prophet
You have incorrectly interpreted this thread and the opinions expressed herein by most of the posters. That being said, I will tell you that I don't like oranges OR tomatoes. But if I had to choose, I'd eat an orange.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Castanova said:
You have incorrectly interpreted this thread and the opinions expressed herein by most of the posters. .

It's actually pretty given that you are a fag and have a shitty taste. The only "thing" you've done is to awake the yearly PS:T discussionl.

Mantiis

Cipher
You say that the gameplay is boring and somewhat nonexistant so I am going to talk about my experience with the game

I started the game with reservations as I hated the IE engine and ended up loving my time in the game and was sad when it ended. Why? If there is no game there why did I enjoy my time?

I loved my conversations with Ravel, Dak'kon and the circle, Annah, the whores in the brothel. The sensatorium (sensorium? fek how do you spell it?) was fucking fantastic. The plane hopping later on I also loved because my character had gotten to the point that he felt like he was actually powerful gameplay wise - intellectually (ie knowledge of what was going on) AND statwise. The twists and turns about what I knew and what I *knew* and what I didn't know were also executed well.

Oh my god the distinction of knowing and *knowing*! Jesus Christ that in and of itself was soooooo good - there needs to be a word for it in English.

By the looks of it it wasn't what you expect or like in a game. That's cool. Stop torturing yourself and play a game you like.

Castanova

Prophet
I totally get where you're coming from. I'm not torturing myself with it anymore, though. I'm focusing on the main quest, skipping all sidequests that don't seem important, and so on... the main story is interesting enough that I'm continuing to "play."

Also, I just did the questline with Merriman and the brothel robot girl, etc. First time in the entire game I had to overcome something resembling a non-trivial challenge, even if it was just standard point-and-click adventure game item + item = solution type stuff. Let's hope this becomes a trend in the latter parts.

Zomg

Arbiter
Mantiis said:
You say that the gameplay is boring and somewhat nonexistant so I am going to talk about my experience with the game

I started the game with reservations as I hated the IE engine and ended up loving my time in the game and was sad when it ended. Why? If there is no game there why did I enjoy my time?

There's a ton of obscure interactive fiction stuff (even non-linear) out there that very self-consciously is not a game, not even to the limited degree of like a Lucasarts adventure game. Unfortunately I don't really enjoy even really good IF very much so my reference pool is small, but if some dude out there runs through the stuff habitually he would know a lot of cool shit to say to RPG nerds

acolyte

Educated
Castanova said:
acolyte said:
Gameplay describes the interaction with a game, through it's game mechanics.
First of all, this is a circular definition.
It's not a circular definition at all. Why would you think that? Gameplay, Game mechanics.
Wikipedia said:
Gameplay is interaction with a game[1][2] (in particular, video games[3][4]) through its rules,[2][5] connection between player and the game,[6] challenges[7] and overcoming them,[8] plot[9] and player's connection with it.[6] Video game gameplay is distinct from graphics,[9][10] or audio elements.[9]
Wikipedia said:
Game mechanics are constructs of rules intended to produce an enjoyable game or gameplay.
Gameplay == interaction, more or less (Wikipedia's definition seems more lax actually). Don't know how simpler I could put it.

Castanova said:
If you mean "Gameplay describes the interaction with a ruleset through its mechanics"
Now this would be a circular definition, since "ruleset" == (game) "mechanics". Might as well have written interaction "with a ruleset through its ruleset". But the first part ("Gameplay describes the interaction") is what I'm saying.

Castanova said:
then what you're describing is most likely a simulation, or an interactive experience, not a game...
What I'm describing is 'gameplay', _not_ a 'game' as a whole. Gameplay(interaction) is part of what makes a game("Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction.").

Castanova said:
unless of course the ruleset includes some form of a win/loss mechanism.
Win/loss mechanism is not much relevant to gameplay (but I'm not 100% sure about that). To the game as whole, yes.

If we can't even agree on such basic definitions, and everyone comes up with definitions to suit his personal tastes, there's no real grounds for discussion. That's the way I think anyway. And I thought I was closer to you on this one, since you wrote "A game is a ruleset system that one or more players interact with".

Castanova said:
That's your point. Because you don't like it. Others do though. "Very little gameplay" is just not a valid argument, unless you're saying there's very little interaction, which is false. Else, it's just not the sort of interaction/gameplay you like.

Zomg

Arbiter
There's already a word for interactivity though - it's interactivity

Castanova

Prophet
Acolyte, we're semi-agreeing, I think. The thing is, just because you're playing a game (and I mean "playing a game" as in, you are running software that people define as a game) and you're interacting with some element of this software, doesn't mean to mean that you're engaged in real gameplay. If you're playing Warcraft 2 and you make a "HELLO" formation with your peons, that's not gameplay... but it is an interactive experience.

acolyte

Educated
Edit:
@Zomg
Yes, but interactivity is far more general. Gameplay is a term tightly coupled with games (probably coined for them).
Wikipedia said:
Gameplay is interaction with a game[1][2] (in particular, video games[3][4])...

Edit2:
@Castanova
Yes, I believe we do understand each other on some level.

Terms like "real gameplay" though are slippery; they are probably biased by personal tastes and opinions. E.g., I don't like adventure games' gameplay, but I acknowledge it. PS:T in particular can't be said not to have gameplay, although someone may not like it. There are, after all, many types of gameplay.

Now, your Warcraft example is interesting... I can't honestly categorize it as anything. I _want_ to say it's not gameplay, but I'm not sure that would be correct. Pointless yes (but this is where my personal opinion comes in; someone else may very well find grinding levels in RPGs pointless, esp. if you can finish the game without it).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom