Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planetside 2

bert

Arcane
I get 0-15 fps in medium - large engagements and a K/D of >0.8. The optimization is great. :greatjob:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
yeah but then again there is a real reason why that is, and it's not because of shitty console gfx
Is it incompetence? My money's on incompetence.

no, it's 'no-one else has done it before' syndrome. the only other engine i know of that is (supposedly) able to handle that amount of data is darkfall's. rendering 10 guys on a screen is trivial. 100 is pretty fucking hard. and a thousand... well, i hope to see a game that can actually deliver that massive experience!

Destroid

Arcane
yeah but then again there is a real reason why that is, and it's not because of shitty console gfx
Is it incompetence? My money's on incompetence.

no, it's 'no-one else has done it before' syndrome. the only other engine i know of that is (supposedly) able to handle that amount of data is darkfall's. rendering 10 guys on a screen is trivial. 100 is pretty fucking hard. and a thousand... well, i hope to see a game that can actually deliver that massive experience!

Sure if you ignore Planetside 1, Tribes 1+2, BF1942 all of which could do over 100 players?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Planetside 1 is from 2001, are you claiming PS2 has worse performance issues than PF1 in 2001? If you do, I'd suggest you get yourself a PC from the last millenia and try that shit out. You'd be surprised.

Neither T 1+2 nor BF1942 process the same amount of data than PS2, that's just ridiculous.

Gerrard

Arcane
The problem with PS2 isn't that the game is running bad with 100 guys on screen. The problem is that it's running bad regardless of what's on your screen, with console GFX.

Also by the way, am I the only one who thinks the first person animations for weapons are awful? It's like something out of Fallout 3.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
They feel wonky and I think dropping dead animation starts 1 second after you actually die.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The problem with PS2 isn't that the game is running bad with 100 guys on screen. The problem is that it's running bad regardless of what's on your screen, with console GFX.

Agreed. Mine doesn't lag when there's a lot of people on-screen, it simply lags. Got between 5-10 FPS no matter what I did. Upon initially dropping in on first play, I don't think I even got 1 FPS. It was more like 0.2 FPS.

Castanova

Prophet
Game runs nice and smooth for me. I'm enjoying it quite a bit right now but I haven't put a ton of hours in yet. I mostly like to pick Infiltrator and deploy to a zone where there's a battle going on between the two enemy factions. Then I hide and pick people off while they're busy killing each other.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
The problem I see on the optimization is that people have much better rigs than me and still can't run the game as smoothly

that's a fuckup

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
My specs are;

2.9 Ghz dual-core
4GB RAM
Radeon HD 6870
Win7 64bit

Sure, the CPU is bottlenecking the rest of the PC, but it's still not a bad PC. It is entirely possible that the AMD drivers is fucking it up, though. Ever since getting an AMD card I've been having shit with bad drivers, which I never had while I used Nvidia. I can just hope that this is an AMD driver issue and will be fixed eventually, but this feels a lot more like poor optimization for the game itself.

Either way, this PC should not be struggling this much. I would understand low FPS, but not 10 FPS from this PC.

Data4

Arcane
The only way to play this game is to be in some sort of guild or clan or whatever. What say you, Codex? Might as well experience this shit as a group, even if it just winds up with everyone taking turns shooting eachother in the back for the lulz. Name a server and faction and I'm game.

Joghurt

Augur
I'm having huge amounts of fun with this. Joined the Rock Paper Shotgun EU Vanu Outfit and the game is so much more fun now. Today I participated in a huge zerg rush on Indar. Basically around 250-300 Vanu soldiers and tanks. We had around 20% of the continent and when I quit we had around 60% of the continent under our control. When we closed in on the TR warpgate the enemy decided to blot out the sun with their air units. It was like in the fucking Independence Day film.

Anyways the game sucks if you are alone, but I you join an outfit and play it like you would play ArmA2 it becomes awesome. It's basically ArmA + Battlefield without the pointless waiting around and doing nothing like usually happens in ArmA2.

oklenny

Educated
like the game a lot more now that i can play it, got a new graphics card

Made a second character on one of the super crowded servers, and came in at the perfect time. Somebody was directing the New Conglomerate troops around the map and you should have seen it. I joined up a convoy with around 50 tanks accompanied by legions of Engineers and Heavy Assault and Medics. Max troopers always behind, that must have been hell to tromp at that speed. Every little bit somebody would plant a Sunderer, and we had air support at all times. We rolled through the Terran Republic for a couple hours. But then I went back to my habits learned playing Vanu and walked around one of the bigger captured bases repairing emplacements while watching TV. Got thanked for it when the Terrans tried to retake the place and we were in ship shape condition to resist.

It's amazing how many people don't bother trying to repair and improve the places they take. It's just on to the next location. Didn't realize how bad it was until I actually noticed NC troopers standing guard and all that. The Vanu on Soltech never do.

Oriebam

The only way to play this game is to be in some sort of guild or clan or whatever. What say you, Codex? Might as well experience this shit as a group, even if it just winds up with everyone taking turns shooting eachother in the back for the lulz. Name a server and faction and I'm game.
as I said before, we're gonna be split between 4 regions, each with several servers, each server allowing only one faction

even if we get everyone from the same regions to get in one server and one faction are we going to have enough people for a full squad every night? recruiting random people is going to be necessary

might be better to leech off/join bigger outfits

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Was about to uninstall this after getting sick of trying to cap bases all the time as heavy assault with useless SAW while the rest of my team seemed to want to camp. Was fucking around in the cert thing though and saw a x12 scope for the infiltrator. Bought it for lulz, but then started headcapping guys manning turrets near their base from all the way near my base. Went from near impossible and consantly dying to invincible easy mode in .2 seconds. Classes and weapons don't really seem well balanced.

Oriebam

default NC HA rifle is the worst to use of the 3 IMO :M

did I mention the meatgrinder-stalemate moments are most fucking retarded thing in the game? I hate this bullshit, it gets old really fast, though of course I have the option of just abandoning the map

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom