Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Stella Brando

Arcane
(Sorry guys, I'm on vacation and won't always have access to a computer or internet. Please continue as normal. You can ignore Rashid, kick him, roll him around, use him as a lampshade, whatever you want. Have fun!)

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Sorry guys, I'm on vacation and won't always have access to a computer or internet. Please continue as normal. You can ignore Rashid, kick him, roll him around, use him as a lampshade, whatever you want. Have fun!
Don't tempt me

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"I'd also like him to convince me that the dead body will stay dead if we tray to make off with his spear. Collapsing chambers have me cautious."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Yes, we wouldn't want another trap to spring now, would we? Move over, Borric." Marcán leaves the passage and makes for Cormac outside, there, he tells Cormac what Rhenmyr saw and how a priest can help the group retrieve the spear. At least in Rhenmyrs words. He also seeks for Rashid, to check for any regular traps as well.

Cormac enters the passage. He crawls to where the group is. "I'm not sure if I will be able to tell if there are any traps. But I can look for anything out of place. As the tomb had some connection to Arawn, I can also attempt to make sure we do not disturb any burial rituals. Being that this tomb is so old, that may be difficult."

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'll take over for Rashid and Cormac from here

Cormac and Rashid squeeze into the uncomfortable passage and eventually find Rhenmyr in the small hidden niche where he is standing pensively in front of the dessicated remains in armor.

Cormac carefully examines the state of the body and eventually steps back, raising to his full height, "The body is long dead and seems very brittle." He then points to some of the faded woad paint on the man's armor, "Protective runes for the afterlife and a warning against the foes of the clan. If this is Ulfheonar, then he was laid here as reward, not to serve as a vengeful spirit animated to fight from beyond the grave." Cormac chews his lip as if deep in thought, "I know our need is great, but I do not know if Arawn would be pleased or displeased if we were to disturb such a hero's rest; it's beyond my limited understanding of the deeper mysteries. Truthfully, I'd feel better if we had a high priest to commune with the man's spirit, bacause all I know are a few simple imprecations and invocations -- I'd be guessing if said they are enough to avoid a powerful geas."

While Cormac studies the corpse, Rashid attends to more worldly concerns. He carefully examines the body and the area around and behind the throne without touching anything. After ten minutes of intense scrutiny he sits back on his heels and declares that he's certain the throne and body are devoid of any deviously hidden wires that lead to mechanisms meant to dissuade any would-be grave robbers. "I'd swear on the horns of Ba'al the chamber is free of any nasty surprises. It seems Picts are a more trusting lot than Acadians." With a satisfied grin he pries one of the semiprecious stones from the throne with the tip of his dagger to prove a point, "You see. Nothing!"

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Just a quick heads up. I have an extra paperback copy of DCC RPG. I got a couple of extras from the kickstarter I backed and I've decided to do a bit of clearing out of my physical RPG books -- I really don't need so many physical copies when almost all of my gaming these days is done via internet. If somebody wants it I'll sell it for $15 plus S/H (it retails for $25 plus S/H at Goodmangames.com)

Hit me with a PM if interested.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Fuck, I think my roll danger for the day is exhausted.
I've been looking over the class write-up I did for Barbarians and I spotted an error. "Immune to Magical Fear" needs to be rolled into the Barbarian's berserker ability; it doesn't function all the time. I'll update and reupload the Barbarian PDF if you want an updated copy.

EDIT: I think I'm also going to take away tracking as a class ability. I don't want to step on the Ranger's specialty here. Also, I don't think you've really used it yet, so hopefully that's not too harsh.

Given the XP table they have I think I made them slightly overpowered.

EDIT2: link updated

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Yeah, you missed the trap that nearly brought a chamber down on my head. Cormac, we want the spear to defeat Ulfheonar's ancient enemy. If you can explain that to the spirits, I doubt they'd have a problem with us using it. I wouldn't even mind bringing it back when we're done with it."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck, I think my roll danger for the day is exhausted.
I've been looking over the class write-up I did for Barbarians and I spotted an error. "Immune to Magical Fear" needs to be rolled into the Barbarian's berserker ability; it doesn't function all the time. I'll update and reupload the Barbarian PDF if you want an updated copy.

EDIT: I think I'm also going to take away tracking as a class ability. I don't want to step on the Ranger's specialty here. Also, I don't think you've really used it yet, so hopefully that's not too harsh.

Given the XP table they have I think I made them slightly overpowered.

EDIT2: link updated
It could only been used in his home terrain though.

Wayward Son

Mab looks into the chute everyone else had crawled into. "Hmm... There's a lighth at the end of a long, dark tunnel. That bodes well." He then proceeds to climb in.

Wayward Son

Btw, look what my brother got me for my birthday!
f29338bf7fb57e752d0e6705fbf15fe5.jpg

"I lack the ability to know if there will be any repercussions from removing the spear. I would only remove it if you are fully prepared for any consequences."

L'ennui

Magister
Urash, still admiring the runes to see if he missed any details, barely notices the newcomer that barges into the room and goes straight for the chute.

Without taking his eyes from his study, he mumbles into his beard: "Yes... light at the end of the tunnel... usually good..."

He then snaps to, just in time to see Mab's feet disappear into the chute.

"Wait! Who the hell was that?!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
It could only been used in his home terrain though.

Actually the only restriction I put on it was using it outdoors, not necessarily in your home terrain. After thinking about it some I think that would make a decent compromise. We'll say that Barbarians can only track in their native terrain -- For Borric that means snow, taiga and open steppe. If he wants to track in other terrain his chances are halved.

Quick recap of tracking rules: A Ranger or Barbarian rolls a simple saving throw to pass or fail; Rangers get +2 to the roll. For every day that passes between when the tracks were laid a cumulative -1 penalty is applied to the roll. Each hour of rain or snow covering the tracks applies a -1 penalty to the roll. Each additional creature in the group being tracked adds +1 to the roll.

I'll update the House Rules document to reflect this change (since I forgot to do that way back when).
Mab looks into the chute everyone else had crawled into. "Hmm... There's a lighth at the end of a long, dark tunnel. That bodes well." He then proceeds to climb in.

Mab enters the chamber and spies a man engrossed with a rune-carved door. You consider hailing him, but think better of it and look around. There is a rope dangling from the mouth of a chute above the lintel of the door you just passed through. You clamber up to investigate. First you crawl on you belly for about 30 feet in the poorly lit passage no more than 2 feet wide and eventually come to a point you begin to hear voices faintly overhead. To the right, the passage terminates under a cave-in and above you see faint light filling a chimney about ten feet tall. You press into the slot and climb up without too much difficulty (as there are ample handholds in the rough hewn stone). The voices grow louder and more distinct as you near the top and you poke your head through an opening. Looking around you see a smallish, domed chamber with five men standing around a mummified warrior sitting in repose on a throne gilt with silver, gold and gemstones. The visage of the mummified warrior instantly fills you with awe and dread; you are almost certain that you are in the final resting place of the mythic hero Ulfheonar; a savior of Pictdom in a bygone age. What these outland Kelt, Kurgan, Acadian and Stygian foreigners are doing here is beyond belief

(A Cultural Roleplaying Note: As a Drune (Pictish Druid) what Mab is witnessing looks very much like tomb robbery -- a deep cultural taboo and something that other Drunes would take very, very seriously. If it weren't for Brule (whom you know by reputation) and Fidach at the tomb's entrance vouching for these men, they would deserve to be beheaded and flayed for this kind of transgression.)

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Hearing yet another person climbing into the chamber, Rhenmyr turns to see who it is. Seeing an unknown Pictish face he prepares for combat. "We've got company!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Alright ERYFKRAD I did some more tweaking. Take a look at the new class PDF and tell me what you think. Also Grimgravy It's probably of interest to you, but I finally got around to updating the way tracking works in the house rules document and the Ranger heading. Actually everybody should probably re-download it. I corrected and cleaned up a few other areas. Also I tweaked the Magic-Users' "maleficence" ability slightly (more beneficial and scales better now)

nikolokolus

Arcane
Mab grabs and claws the last few feet and pulls himself up into the small alcove. One of the men barks to his companions in Common tongue (Illyrian) and takes an aggressive stance with his sword.

Urash pursues as best as he can about ten feet behind the newcomer. As you look up into the chimney after him, bits of dirt and debris get kicked into your face.

L'ennui

Magister
"Whores of Nipur, this bastard's going to pay if I have snake skins stuck in my beard after this..."

Urash powers on, trying to catch up.

Will take a look at your modifications, nikolokolus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom