Official RPG Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by nikolokolus, May 28, 2021.

  1. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,088
    re-roll (open)
    I rolled for everyone out of experience, but if you want to roll for yourself I'll allow it, but I do need everyone to re-roll for themselves (except Requin, who was raging and immune to mind-affecting stuff like fear)
     
    ^ Top  
  2. SoupNazi rial billionaire Patron

    SoupNazi
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2010
    Messages:
    5,076
    Location:
    DX:HR Fanboy Central
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands
    Show Spoiler
    I meant for next round (I checked the logs and it seemed like round 1 happened, then you switched to round 2, realized you forgot to do the paralysis roll, and did it for round 1 retroactively. So in round 2 I assumed we get a chance to roll again to see if we "break out" of it. Or is that not how it works? I found nothing on it in the book.)
     
    ^ Top  
  3. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,088
    Show Spoiler
    Ah I see what you mean. No, this particular creature's fear is magical in nature (their screech) and it has a set duration, however Marcus is casting a spell, which should help . . . assuming he's not struck in combat before the end of the round.
     
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    22,015
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Show Spoiler
    I see we're keeping it exciting. :shredder:
     
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    22,015
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Show Spoiler
    Also, Ganelon Guillemin and Wreckin took the liberty of rolling our attacks in case you miss that bit. Just pointing it out.
     
    ^ Top  
  6. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,088
    The fight that ensues is fast, brutal and terrifying. The huge vultures circling overhead begin to dive bomb the group apparently at some shrill call from the hideous vulture-hag-squid things hovering in the air. Finn is badly raked across the face and neck as he falls back into a tight formation with Marcus and Ganelon, and much to his chagrin, "Sancho" the usually trusty mule is bucking and braying and flees off to the south, swallowed up by mist and harried by 3 swooping vultures.

    Marcus hacks at one of the beastly chimeras and draws bright-red blood that sprays in an arc through the air. A few paces away, Requin roars in rage and works himself up into a lather, while Guillemin hangs behind him with his spear levelled and ready to receive a charge. The weird creatures let out a horrific scream that makes everyone's bowels feel like jelly. Ganelon and Guillemin have the forethought to cover their ears, while the enraged Requin is in such a lather that he seems completely unaffected, by the weird, terrifying sound that seems to seep into your soul and weaken your heart. Finn, Daphne and Grima cower in abject terror.

    The next fifteen seconds or so are a blur of arrows launched and four of the creatures trying in vain to grapple and immobilize Marcus, While Requin grabs hold of one them by the wings and tries to pin it to the ground. Eventually two of the creatures are slain, just as Finn (who is also stabbed and laid low) and Requin are tangled up in a pair of tentacles, as the creatures seem to be trying to lift them away. The death of their sisters appears to rattle the creatures and they immediately try to take flight, but not before a back line of hovering beasts armed with shortbows launch a volley at Requin, dropping him to the ground unconscious. The survivors flap away screeching, followed by their two visible vulture pets, and disappear into the dense mist a hundred paces off to the east.

    Marcus and Ganelon quickly come to the aid of the fallen Requin and Finn and heal their wounds with an invocation, while the other survivors try to console the still badly terrified Grima and Daphne, who only return to their senses some twenty or thirty minutes later respectively. Another thirty minutes pass, and the unconscious, but stable Requin and Finn finally come around, a bit shaken by the close call, but no worse for wear (aside from a flesh wound that still oozes blood from Requin's side, where an arrow was removed).

    Marcus looks around and regards you all for a long moment with his uncanny, blue phantasmal eye, before speaking, "The enemy has gained in power it would appear? Are you all certain this is what you wish to be doing? The road ahead is certain to be hard and full of peril; there is no shame if you turn aside from this path."

    EXPERIENCE POINTS! (open)
    Everyone gets 160 XP! Morale rules FTW!
     
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. AdamReith Magister Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,455
    RPG Wokedex
    Grima also wants to descend the rope once again (with the help of whoever is concious, if they are willing) to look for treasure and harpy eggs in that strange cave.

    Just a quick poke about and then we are out of there.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,088
    Grima looks over the edge and decides that he's recovered his courage, and asks to be lowered down again. He drops down twenty feet to where the hidden recess is located, and holds out a lantern in front of his face and sees a filthy den full of black feathers, bleached bones, and bits of gore and smears of blood on the walls and floor. The alcove opens up into an egg-shaped chamber no more than 4 paces wide and 6 paces long, with a low ceiling that forces him to hunch over. He pokes around through the filth and spies a few scattered coins, and a small clutch of shiny gems of various, sizes, hue and quality. All told after ten minutes of rummaging around he finds 45 deniers, 1 ancient gold coin, and seven semi-precious gemstones. He's no jeweler, but guesses they might fetch anywhere from 20 to 100 deniers a piece.

    It is now a probably close to early evening; maybe 4 or 5 hours after midday. Getting back to Les Hiboux before dark is going to be a challenge.
     
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,207
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    "Let's count ourselves lucky. We are in your debt, Marcus... but for my part, I wish to see this enterprise through to the end." Guillemin motions at the jewels snatched by Grima. "I think you Romans were fond of villas. That's what I had in mind for my retirement... the treasures here are probably my one last chance at that life. Better die fighting in this god-forsaken marsh than in some Parisian gutter, drowned in shit."
     
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    ^ Top  
  10. Grimgravy Cipher Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,441
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    "The Lord has lead me here, I trust the Lord will see me through. I will face the Enemy, Marcus."
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Snorkack Arcane Patron

    Snorkack
    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2015
    Messages:
    2,916
    Location:
    Lower Bavaria
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    "I am sorry I was of no help to you against those vile birds, but happy to see you all alive and well," Daphne says, and after giving Marcus a glance, she adds "... sort of."

    "Finn, Requin, do you need me to tend to your cuts and bruises?"
     
    ^ Top  
  12. SoupNazi rial billionaire Patron

    SoupNazi
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2010
    Messages:
    5,076
    Location:
    DX:HR Fanboy Central
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands
    After he comes to, Finn gets up, sort of angrily refusing any help to get back on his feet. First, he looks up at the sky, silent - but his lips move. There's about two minutes of silent speech before he looks down on the ground, where his own blood stains are still visible, and then it's another two minutes of silence, this time with gritted teeth and white knuckles from clenching his fists.

    It takes a while for him to respond to Daphne.

    "Thank you, Mademoiselle, but I think Marcus' affinity has... made me completely whole." there's a shift-eyed look towards Requin, though not with any animosity towards him, just... the healing done by the servant of Christ seems lesser somehow, as Requin still clutches his arrow wound.

    That's when he hears Sancho nearby, runs to it, hugs, and feeds it carrots, trying to tend to its wounds to the best of his limited availability. There's tears in Finn's eyes as he runs to his companion, having trained it from when it was just a tiny little horse-donkey abomination.

    Once the party finally decides to leave the area and head back to Les Hiboux, he's silent for most of the trip, until Marcus announces he's decided to wait for them at the main dungeon entrance, to which Finn responds with the insistence that he comes with, and keeps the solitary skeleton company, for whatever reason.

    He entrusts Sancho's reins to Ganelon with a knowing nod, placing trust in the other servant of Christ (for now . . .) to take care and heal Finn's lifelong companion. Finn lifts a few rations and a bedroll from Sancho's pack before he says goodbye to his fellows and follows Marcus into the tomb.
     
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    ^ Top  
  13. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,088
    Marcus nods at Ganelon, "So be it!" Meanwhile, Ganelon notices that the gouges and cuts on Marcus have nicked up the cursed Roman soldier. Marcus looks down and puts a finger through an arrow hole in the leather-brown skin pulled taut over his bones. "Odd . . . no pain. What a cruel joke the gods play. I wonder? . . . " His voice trails off.

    As Grima and the rest of the group debate whether or not to explore the three other alcoves in the face of the sinkhole, Finn hears the faint braying of his mule "Sancho;" moments later the limping beast trots into view, limping badly, and blood oozing from a dozen small cuts on its face. One eye is a ruin of blood and oozing gore. Finally some good luck for once! The party takes a few moments to discuss their options, and finally decide to beat as hasty a retreat as they can with the limping mule, knowing that it will be impossible to make it back to Les Hiboux before nightfall. As the company walks back to the west across the heath, with their eyes scanning the horizon for the return of the vile vulture-like creatures the come to the first barrow they ever explored. Marcus intones, "I will wait here for your return." Finn pipes up, and declares that he intends to stay behind with Marcus. The ancient, skeletal soldier-priest suggests that this would be unwise, but does not forbid Finn's choice. The two descend into the barrow, With Marcus standing sentinel in the doorway.

    The trip back to Les Hiboux is fortunately free of delay or hazards. However, about an hour before nightfall, they do come across a giant bull snake . . . at least that's what it looks like, but this specimen is fully twenty feet long, laying dead on one of the hummocks that dot the marsh. In it's maw are the remains of a gigantic toad as large as a mastiff. The troupe passes by wordlessly and arrives back in the village about an hour after sundown, just as the last light of twilight is fading. Weary and haggard, they file into their private rooms. Those who are staying at the Cock & Strumpet are pleased to note that the common room is empty, with no sign of the strange Albanians.

    The next morning you all wake up feeling a bit refreshed (ERYFKRAD Requin gains 0HP from resting 8 hours, you need a full day) and you all follow Grima to Jakob the Moneylender's house with the tiny amount of jewels you were able to recover. When you enter his shop a little bell announces your presence and he looks up from his work and he chuckles to himself, "You folk have a habit of keeping me busy!" Grima hands over the stones and the ancient gold coin and he examines them all with with a small magnifying glass and mutters under his breath, before walking into a back room. He returns a minute later and says, "350 deniers for the stones, and another 40 for the gold coin. Deal?" (Split that plus the 45 silver that Grima scooped up 6 ways, unless you want to hold on to Finn's cut?)
    bookkeeping (open)
    If you want to heal Sancho the Mule, then go ahead and mark off one CLW spell, and do anything else in town that you want to do before we move on. The last expedition nets you another 87 XP or 73 from treasure (depending on how you divide it) added to the 160 for the fight + plus any 10% bonuses coming your way. If this brings you up to enough to level up, go ahead and re-roll all of your accumulated HD and make whatever changes you need to make to your character sheet. I think this was just Ganelon, although Guillemin might have been close too? Pick a MVU (most valuable undead ;)) and you can move on to the next phase . . . although I've got some catching up to do with Finn, SoupNazi via PM.
     
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. AdamReith Magister Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,455
    RPG Wokedex
    If the group decides to spend a day in town for recovery etc., Grima spends some time seeking out the Toad Witch.

    He would let it be known among the common folk that there would be a small reward (10sp?) for anybody who could lead him to her.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Snorkack Arcane Patron

    Snorkack
    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2015
    Messages:
    2,916
    Location:
    Lower Bavaria
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Show Spoiler
    Stuff in no particular order:
    -Daphne votes for a 6 way split of the loot
    -Requin for MVP
    -Is my healing skill usable on the mule? If yes, I'd like to give it a shot.
    -If Requin requires additional healing, I'd try, too.
     
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,088
    Healing (open)
    Make your Healer/Surgeon skill roll twice (once for the mule, once for Requin). If you succeed, Requin will gain an additional 1d3 HP from his night's sleep (as if he had 50%+ HP), same goes for the Mule. If you fail, then now benefit is granted and both gain no HP from rest and will need the full days rest in order to gain 1 back.
     
    ^ Top  
  17. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,088
    Show Spoiler
    You can certainly make inquiries, just remember your mate Finn is out there . . . waiting . . .
     
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. AdamReith Magister Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,455
    RPG Wokedex
    Show Spoiler

    Maybe Grima just puts the word out about the reward and will check in again when he next returns.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,207
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Show Spoiler
    I vote we split the loot seven-ways. Requin for MVP because he grappled like a luchador.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,088
    MVP! (open)
    Alright, that's good enough for me. ERYFKRAD is this episode's winner. Should be something like +23 XP (if my math is correct on the six way split?)
     
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. AdamReith Magister Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,455
    RPG Wokedex
    Grima also puts up a poster in the town square which states the following:

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Art Competition

    Are you a dab hand with a brush? Do you have intimate knowledge of useful tools (or DRAGONS)?

    Well, we want to see what you can do. Local philanthropist Grima Bonheur is running Hiboux's first annual -Useful Tool or Weapon Art Competition-

    Insane prizes are available for the best works of art from a small pile of silver, to a slightly larger pile of silver. You all like silver right?!

    So get painting and ask for Grima Bonheur at the Cock and Strumpet when you have something worth displaying. Note: Points awarded for both the realism of the artwork and the usefulness/deadliness of the object depicted. Additional points awarded from the portability of the work. (Smaller the better)

    Warning: If the painting sucks Grima will hurt your feelings.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Snorkack Arcane Patron

    Snorkack
    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2015
    Messages:
    2,916
    Location:
    Lower Bavaria
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    As Daphne finally managed to inform herself about what Wolvesbane actually is and does, she buys chunks of fresh and dried meat (preferrably intestines, not the expensive prime cut) and thorughly mixes it with the plant matter. The plan is to scatter it across the swamp on the party's way to the tomb entrance. Hopefully the roaming wolfpack finds the bait and enjoys the last supper instead of getting all too curious about the adventurer group.
     
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    22,015
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Requin observes all this with vague befuddlement, wondering whatever happened to just hitting wolves if they became overbold.
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,088
    Once Prior Guillaume finishes reading Grima's hastily slapped together poster to some of the curious townsfolk, most seem to laugh or scratch their heads in confusion, not sure what to make of the strange solicitation (We'll see what, if anything, comes of you efforts, AdamReith ).

    Meanwhile, Daphne busies herself mixing up the poison bait, and at about 3 hours after sunup, they depart into the swamp once again. The path is becoming easier to remember, and there are no missteps or forgotten turns this morning, and after about 5 hours of hiking, they finally arrive on the plateau without incident. The air is clearer than it has been since they first came to this place; it seems as though they can make out the majority of the barrow complex through the thin haze. Pausing to count barrow mounds yields over four dozen visible from their vantage point alone. More unsettling, off in the middle distance they can also just make out a small flock of carrion birds circling high overhead, eight in total . . .

    With a wary eye on the birds, the troupe walks the hundred paces or so to the great barrow where Marcus and Finn should be, as they round the south side, they find Marcus standing impassively in the doorway in front of the stairs leading down. He calls out to Finn, and a few moments later the haggard youth emerges into the light. Dark circles line his eyes and his face looks drawn; he seems to have had a rough night.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. AdamReith Magister Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,455
    RPG Wokedex
    Show Spoiler

    Prior Guillaume is going to blow us away with his sick dragon art portfolio.
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.