Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by nikolokolus, May 28, 2021.

1. nikolokolus Arcane

nikolokolus
    Show Spoiler
    this was all handled "off camera" in a group chat, then summarized by me here.

The notion is, carousing for fun and profit! By risking 10-100% of their most recent haul, players can engage in downtime hijinks (on this table) and they risk (mostly) bad or (occasionally) beneficial outcomes and convert the money blown to XP. The nominal notion is that big risks can translate into big rewards and it can be a money sink as well.

As for it being an LotFP thing? No, it's a house rule thats been floating around the OSR blogosphere for about a decade. Whether XP for gold makes sense depends on what the goals of your game are. This is a "get rich or die trying" exploration campaign, not a combat game. Making the bulk of XP revolve around treasure incentivizes non-combat solutions vs. brute force (trickery, subterfuge, bullshittery, etc.) The carousing mechanic just adds an additional gambling element and speeds up advancement, which is already glacial slow in a PbP game.

On that note, this is a game thread and I'd rather talk about this in a separate thread in the Gazebo instead of cluttering things up here if you don't mind?

^ Top  
  2. infidel StarInfidel Developer

infidel
    Strap Yourselves In
    Show Spoiler

Is there a separate OOC thread I'm not aware of? I was loath to start a new one just to ask questions. If you create one (I think it's appropriate if you would do that instead of me), I'll direct further talk there.

upload_2021-8-22_20-37-17.png
    A-ha! That explains it. Carousing is very much in tune for Conan adventures. Though I don't see any actual XP in it.

^ Top  
  3. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Show Spoiler
    OSR official thread or something, if it's not a gazebo sticky, by Crom it ought to be.

^ Top  
  4. infidel StarInfidel Developer

infidel
    Strap Yourselves In
    Show Spoiler

soupnazi sent me this link, it seems like a good idea.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.