Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

SoupNazi

Finn draws his crossbow and runs after the noise with Armand in tow, though he stays a few paces either left or right of Guillemin & Requin, wherever the terrain allows, in order to be flanking whatever they'll encounter a bit from the side while the reckless crew takes it from the front.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Guillemin runs through the fog, with Requin, Finn and Ganelon close behind (And Armand bringing up the rear by just a handful of paces). When the barrow resolves itself about 50 paces away, you see a handful of human shapes silhouetted against the morning sun filtering through the mist behind them. You all can see the posture of several of these men shift slightly as you run across the mossy turf as several of them turn to regard your approach. It's impossible to make out faces at this distance, but they all seem to be tense, with spears, and cudgels held at the ready. Some are half-crouched around the stairwell leading down into the darkness. One figure is slumped on the ground and he appears to be receiving medical attention or other ministrations from one of his comrades who is kneeling next to him.

One of the men feebly raises his hand, cupping it to his face and shouts at you, "Alain. Robert. is that you? Come brothers! There's some ghastly horror down here who's already done for Pierre!"

L'ennui

Magister
Guillemin raises his hands up high and slowly approaches through the mist. "I am Guillemin. Me and my comrades have spent many days investigating this cursed place. Perhaps we can help? We have no quarrel with you."

SoupNazi

Given that Finn and Armand aimed to be a bit off to the side, not straight behind Guillemin and Requin, as soon as Finn spots his man raising a hand, he waves Armand over and crouches in the nearest bushes, or behind a tree, to stay out of sight and maintain overwatch of the potential meet - or to cover everyone's retreat should something amazing exit the barrow...

nikolokolus

Arcane
When Guillemin speaks, the mans's casual manner changes almost imperceptibly. He drops his hand and through the mist you can see that heads are turning, men are shrugging and they seem a bit uncertain of how to proceed, until the man who addressed you speaks up again, "Ah, more treasure seekers I see? Well, I can say that you couldn't have come at more opportune time, or perhaps the most inopportune?" He pauses for a few moments, "Perhaps this is a good omen yes? Hell itself has vomited forth its filth in this ancient place. There is a dead man who walks who has holed himself up in this barrow. He already killed poor Pierre here, and wounded Gascon. Perhaps you would help us dig out this tick and we could share whatever spoils he guards within?"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well this is a pretty pickle. Maybe we should offer to head in by ourselves, meet with marcus, then push inward and find an alternate exit.

SoupNazi

Hold up, could it be Marcus they are fighting? Let's ask them to describe the dead man walking. If it's him, we might need to engage them, both to protect him and to protect our secret of allying ourselves to an undead...

With it being this many of them, I doubt a "standard" zombie/skeleton would give them this much trouble...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hold up, could it be Marcus they are fighting? Let's ask them to describe the dead man walking. If it's him, we might need to engage them, both to protect him and to protect our secret of allying ourselves to an undead...

With it being this many of them, I doubt a "standard" zombie/skeleton would give them this much trouble...
It is definitely Marcus. If we engage these dudes, it could cause a reputation stink. Unless we make them instigate the fight WITHOUT us being considered heretics. Alternately we could talk it over. :M

SoupNazi

It is definitely Marcus. If we engage these dudes, it could cause a reputation stink. Unless we make them instigate the fight WITHOUT us being considered heretics. Alternately we could talk it over. :M

Alright, now I catch the drift of your initial plan. I'm just worried that there's no reason to believe in an alternative exit inside, none of the barrows we've seen so far had one...

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"We have encountered several dead men that walk within this tomb, but none were particularly doughty. The power of Christ and word of God has put all to flight. Can you describe this horror that was able to repulse a group such as yours. It seems a greater threat than any servant of the Enemy we have come across." Ganelon tries to get a decent look at this group to gauge the threat they may pose.

L'ennui

Magister
"Perhaps we can try to clear the path ahead for you. We have some hard-earned knowledge of this tomb and its many dangers."

It's probably Marcus, so we might want to go ahead and meet up with him to discuss some stratagem to get rid of these interlopers. Hopefully without resorting to outright murder?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Maybe we should use Armand to head these guys off, send them elsewhere while we move and get Marcus out of danger. I don't think Armadillo gonna take too kindly to Marcus either.

SoupNazi

Personally, I think we should just shoot & stab the fuck out of them. A few weeks earlier, some of y'all were talking about infiltrating their camp and murdering them in their sleep. Now we've got them fighting our ally, and we're chatting?!

L'ennui

Magister
Personally, I think we should just shoot & stab the fuck out of them. A few weeks earlier, some of y'all were talking about infiltrating their camp and murdering them in their sleep. Now we've got them fighting our ally, and we're chatting?!

These don't look to be the Albanians, and they're pointedly not asleep. Anyways if we want them dead we should still play along until the most propitious moment.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I ask you once again, Albanian named Pierre?

nikolokolus

Arcane
The man holds his hand up to his ear as Ganelon speaks and then nods before replying, "Pierre cried out 'Mon dieu!' right after this walking skelton in armor ran him through the heart. I can't say that the name of God Almighty seemed to have much influence on him, nor on staving off the Grim Reaper. If you lot think you can have some affect where we have not, then by all means proceed and do what you will, but don't say we didn't warn you." He motions you forward as if to invite your group to enter the barrow.

Does the party proceed?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Guillemin walks toward the barrow and as the mist clears, the faces and general state of the men around it resolves. This is a rough looking band of miscreants from the look of them. Unshaven, moth-eaten trousers, grimy fingers and shoddy knives tucked into belts. Three of them are carrying small short bows, sometimes carried by bird hunters and the like. The leader, flashes a toothless grin under his bushy black moustache and runs his fingers through his lank greasy hair as you approach. He puts out his hand, "Marcel, and you would be?"

Guillemin feels the hairs stand up on the back of his neck. He's seen this sort before more times than he cares to count from his previous life: Dirt poor, an air of desperation and the unmistakable sensation that violence hangs around this lot like flies on shit. Knowing how to handle this lot of brutes, Guillemin goes to "that place" and flashes a murderous look, knowing that the slightest sign of weakness could be seized upon and all hell could break loose. The man calling himself Marcel, keeps his hand extended and is still flashing the same toothless, wolfish grin, but he falters a bit a when he locks eyes with the old spy and assassin.

The way into the barrow is open and the men stand aside.

L'ennui

Magister
Content that this exchange leaves both men perfectly aware of their respective places in the great chain of being, Guillemin lets Marcel's extended hand hang clumsily. Now that he has seen what kind of person he is dealing with, there is a hard edge to his speech.

"You can call me Guy. These are dangerous lands, you should head back to town. We may have work for you once we banish this monster, but all in good time."

He finally takes out a few silver pieces and tosses them to the man. "For the funeral, may Mother Mary pray for his soul."

Guillemin then waves at his own party that the path is clear and trudges forward.

Let's say 20 sp. Great to see Guillemin's storied career as peasant oppressor come into play. :P

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Finn holds his closed fist up to Armand behind him, holding position behind the bush they'd aimed for. He'll stand behind just in case the ragged band tries something once the rest of the troupe enters the barrow, to be able to interrupt or distract them. In fact, Finn will lay his crossbow down on a bush or stone he can lay/crouch down behind, and take and hold aim at the toughest looking one of the ragtag group.

I've moved Finn's token, can't move Armand but he'd be with him I imagine

Last edited by a moderator:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Perhaps it's your cold stares, your nonchalant attitudes towards supernatural danger, or the Wheel of Fortune is simply in your favor, the men part and cast nervous glances at you, clearly a little bit cowed by your superior arms, armor, and demeanors. You walk down the darkened steps into the barrow and see a dead man sprawled out, face down at the bottom in a wide pool of blood. A few paces distant in the center of the barrow is the unmistakable form of Marcus who stands as still as a statue with his hands resting on the quillons of his spatha which is held in front of him point down. "Ah, you've returned." Armand hears Marcus speaking and starts to stammer, "W-w-w-hat in God's name is that?! It talks as if it knows you!"

SoupNazi

Finn pats Armand's shoulder with a firm hand in a brotherly manner.

"This, mon ami, is Marcus - our ally in fighting the evil that is bestowed upon these barrows. He has failed in doing so, once, perhaps centuries ago, and god's will--" Finn makes sure not to specify Mithras, even if in his heart, it is true "--is for him to finish the job, with us by his side. You have nothing to fear from him, as long as your heart is pure, as I believe it is - and there are far worse things that await us below the ground. If you are still up for it."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom