Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Of course! Anyone find anything of note? Just more pottery and maybe a ruined mural here?"
Ganelon pockets a piece of pottery.

I'm most curious about the recessed handle Guillemin found! We should check it before heading into the dark.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Camarades! Seems I've found something here."

Guillemin visually inspects the floor and the ceiling connected to the pillar, looking for any trace of a mechanism that could be activated by the handle.
Guiillemin carefully inspects the area around the pillar and it doesn't appear that there is anything obvious connected to it, additionally, there are no holes in the vaulted ceiling (that might hide some spear trap or whatever) and there are no obvious irregularities in the floor around you. Lightly tugging on the handle doesn't cause it to budge.

L'ennui

Magister
Guillemin was becoming more and more curious. Who had built this? What was this handle's purpose, and why was it hidden?

"Hmm... unless anyone has any objection, I do believe I'm going to throw caution to the wind and try to see what this thing does."

He would prefer not having to gamble his hand or his life on it, though...

Is the handle angled or situated such that a rope could be tied to it, so as to action it from a safe(ish) distance?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Guillemin fixes a rope to the handle and hammers a spike into a crack in the fitted stone blocks of the wall just opposite of the recess and loops the rope over the flanged end and walks backward 10 or so feet before giving it a sharp tug. You hear a sharp grinding *click* in the column as the rope gives about a handspan. Suddenly there is sound of rushing water cascading through the column and then a *pop* and *click* in the floor at the foot of the stairs.

You glance in that direction and see a long rectangular section of the floor has risen about an inch above the rest of the floor. Walking over and inspecting it you discover some sort of stone slab with grooves notched in the side (likely for handholds or a lever) cleverly disguised as dressed stone to match the rest of the floor.

You can hear the gurgle of water draining and dripping away beneath it.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guillotine fixes a rope to the handle and hammers a spike into a crack in the fitted stone blocks of the wall just opposite of the recess and loops the rope over the flanged end and walks backward 10 or so feet before giving it a sharp tug. You hear a sharp grinding *click* in the column as the rope gives about a handspan. Suddenly there is sound of rushing water cascading through the column and then a *pop* and *click* in the floor at the foot of the stairs.

You glance in that direction and see a long rectangular section of the floor has risen about an inch above the rest of the floor. Walking over and inspecting it you discover some sort of stone slab with grooves notched in the side (likely for handholds or a lever) cleverly disguised as dressed stone to match the rest of the floor.

You can hear the gurgle of water draining and dripping away beneath it.
"Crowbar?"

L'ennui

Magister
"Crowbar."

Guillemin recovers his rope and stashes it into his backpack, from which he then produces a weathered but solid crowbar. He hefts it in his hands repeatedly as he walks to position himself to one side of the elevated slab. There, he crouches and touches his ear down to the stone, listening for sound or vibration beneath.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Fascinating! A marvelous feat of construction to rival Rome or Greece."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Guillemin slots his crowbar into one of the 4 visible notches and levers the stone up and eventually works the bar under the lip of the 2 inch thick slab and lifts it high enough for Vandal and a couple of others to get their fingers underneath and slide it to the side. Underneath you see a stairway descend into the eatrh. The water you heard rushing through has now drained away and you are confronted with an answer and another problem. It looks as though the whole stairwell about 20' down is full of broken blocks and rubble from some kind of cave in. It seems like it probably leads to the chamber under the tripod, but clearing this would take quite some time.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Huh. Would you look at that. Stairs would definitely be preferable to climbing rope is we need to make a hasty retreat. Perhaps we should see about shifting some of that." Ganelon glances down the hole to check for signs of the water's passage.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Huh. Would you look at that. Stairs would definitely be preferable to climbing rope is we need to make a hasty retreat. Perhaps we should see about shifting some of that." Ganelon glances down the hole to check for signs of the water's passage.
Maybe get some labourers to do it later. What time is it anyway?

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Guillemin slots his crowbar into one of the 4 visible notches and levers the stone up and eventually works the bar under the lip of the 2 inch thick slab and lifts it high enough for Vandal and a couple of others to get their fingers underneath and slide it to the side. Underneath you see a stairway descend into the eatrh. The water you heard rushing through has now drained away and you are confronted with an answer and another problem. It looks as though the whole stairwell about 20' down is full of broken blocks and rubble from some kind of cave in. It seems like it probably leads to the chamber under the tripod, but clearing this would take quite some time.

How large are the individual blocks? Does it look like something that could be cleared safely by hand without specialized tools?

Madeline

Literate
Maddie stands in the back, not being so eager to participate in what seems like manual labour. She folds her arms as observes.

As I'll probably be away from the computer for the rest of the day, in case the guys struggle too much and it looks like we might need to go back to town (and essentially waste the trip), I'd like to try and use Exasperation. If frustrated with the lack of progress, she'll have a mini-breakdown, a moment of drama, where she defeatedly slaps her thighs and dramatically exclaims something along the lines of "Merde! So we've conquered the bloody mud, water, mosquitos, and now we break our teeth at the first sign of an obstacle, forcing us to return with our tails tucked?!" ... and we'll see what happens.

Feels like currently the situation doesn't warrant it, but if it heads in that direction, please consider that my reply. I'll probably be back only in the late evening.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
shifting the rubble might be a good mid-term goal. Unless the blockage is very thin, it's probably too much for our first scouting expedition.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Given the cramped conditions of the narrow hidden stairwell (no more than 1 person at a time, able to reasonably lift and move rocks). Putting your heads together you guess that with picks, shovels, or other digging implements, you could probably clear and remove the rubble in maybe 6-10 hours; assuming that the shaft continues in a straight shot to the chamber under the tripod.

Bw5s0X2.png

QhnLepw.png
Madeline huffs and stamps her feet in a fit of impatience at the setback. In frustration she curses your rotten luck and idly kicks a large muskrat skull across the room. The skull skitters, careens, and bounces across the breadth of the chamber, ricocheting off of the far eastern wall (furthest from the stairs). There is an audible *click* somewhere in the dim recesses of the chamber. As if by magic -- and Daphne definitely gets that itchy feeling between her shoulder blades she sometimes gets when it feels like the heavenly and infernal powers must be playing at dice -- a square floor tile about 2 cubits on each side, roughly five paces east of the tripod, pops up and swings open on a hinge with a loud *clack* as it "pancackes" on to the floor. Peering down into the narrow shaft reveals rungs carved of stone descending down into the blackness.

Last edited:

Madeline

Literate
Maddie covers her lips with the palm of her hand in an "oops" expression when she hears the echo of the skull scrapping along the floor, but then her eyes widen when her impatience seems to pay off. As the secret passage opens, she bows on one leg, one hand on her heart and the other extended, as if after a masterful performance. If anyone could see into her mind, they'd know that she actually thinks she hears a thundering applause at the sheer stroke of luck. Perhaps she is a little crazy.

Once she's done basking at her own glory, she brings the lantern over to the newly revealed path and beckons Vandal. "Down?"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Maddie covers her lips with the palm of her hand in an "oops" expression when she hears the echo of the skull scrapping along the floor, but then her eyes widen when her impatience seems to pay off. As the secret passage opens, she bows on one leg, one hand on her heart and the other extended, as if after a masterful performance. If anyone could see into her mind, they'd know that she actually thinks she hears a thundering applause at the sheer stroke of luck. Perhaps she is a little crazy.

Once she's done basking at her own glory, she brings the lantern over to the newly revealed path and beckons Vandal. "Down?"
Vandal wordlessly takes point on the new way down, greatsword at the ready.
His ears, sharp.
His eyes, peeled.
His mouth, shut.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After minutes of silently staring at nothing in particular, the revealed chute brings Daphne back into the here and now. She shrugs off the absent-mindedness and proclaims, "Yes, this is the way. I can feel it. Let us godown that ladder." She focuses Maddie with an expression of concentration and curiosity for a few moments, as if Daphne attempts to solve a puzzle. Then she shakes her head, steps closer to the opening and throws down a pebble.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Vincent approaches the new opening cautiously.

"This seems like it will provide a more comfortable way down at least. Nicely done Maddie, I hope your luck holds out down here."

I propose we proceed in the manner established previously.

nikolokolus

Arcane
One by one you file into the darkened chute. The narrow flue is full of cobwebs and the stone rungs are slick with mildew, but they seem solid enough. Based on how much light the lantern casts and your own intuition it seems like the shaft must be about forty feet deep. Feeling emboldened by the stroke of good luck perhaps, Vandal descends into the tunnel and carefully climbs down and drops from the last rung onto the floor. The space is no wider than above, but with his lantern held aloft he notes two "almond" shaped holes about a handspan apart a foot below his nose, and a small bronze latch at waist level next to his right hand. To the left are two great stone hinges and there is a seam that forms a perfect oblong oval shape in front of him about 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
One by one you file into the darkened chute. The narrow flue is full of cobwebs and the stone rungs are slick with mildew, but they seem solid enough. Based on how much light the lantern casts and your own intuition it seems like the shaft must be about forty feet deep. Feeling emboldened by the stroke of good luck perhaps, Vandal descends into the tunnel and carefully climbs down and drops from the last rung onto the floor. The space is no wider than above, but with his lantern held aloft he notes two "almond" shaped holes about a handspan apart a foot below his nose, and a small bronze latch at waist level next to his right hand. To the left are two great stone hinges and there is a seam that forms a perfect oblong oval shape in front of him about 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall.
Wary of untoward surprises, Vandal pokes at the shape with his 10 ft pole. He runs it along the edges and the seam to see if any trap triggers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom