Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Duly noted, mostly I'm giving Urash something to do while he waits for Aphrodisias. Consider it a small part of his downtime that just happened to be mentioned "on screen".

While we're at it, if an hour passes since the Omen spell, Urash recovers a MP, right? Can I go ahead and mark it off in the character sheet?
Magic Points return in "pulses" Every six hours you recover 1/4 of your max MP

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac returns to Aphrodisias' hut and finds a buzz of activity; companions coming and going, but Ker, Marcán and Mab are there at various points (feel free to make Language (Druidic) rolls guys).

Fast forward to this evening when other business is wrapped up.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ker can make out a few symbols, but they are jumbled and the syntax produces gibberish when you string them together.
Damn, I hate auto-correct on my phone

Last edited:
Cormac, sits by the fire pit and removes the piece of parchement from his pouch.

"I found this piece of burned parchment in Drune Eogan's house today. I am unable to read the language. He looks to havve burned any scrolls or documents like he was trying to hide something from someone. Aphrodisias, would you happen to know any details abour Drune Eogan and why he would do such a thing? The elders thought he did this because he did not want Syelle Ru to use them."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Aphrodisias takes the half-burned sheet and examines it, but quickly hands it back. "Drunic. It's beyond my ken. You say Eogan burned all of his papers? Well, the simplest explanation I can think of is that he knew he couldn't take it with him and he knew Syelle Ru was behind his banishment. Maybe he just wanted to insure his sacred writings didn't fall into his hands, but its always possible there was something else he was trying to hide?" She shrugs her shoulders as if unsure of what else to say.

Because we have 3 Druidic/Drunic speaking characters -- Mab, Ker, & Marcán -- You are able to sort of pool your resources in certain skill tests (not every action benefits from help).

It works like this: each additional character adds +1/10th of their skill to the character with the highest skill. Currently Marcán and Ker have 23 points of Druidic and Mab has 17. So Either Siveon or Helly will make a roll and add 3% (2.3 round up) from Marcán and 2% (1.7 round up) from Mab. The new skill total is 28 for whichever person wants to take the initiative and roll. Failure doesn't mean that is your last attempt. If you INT or Druidic language skill increases you can attempt to decipher this scrap of text again. Alternatively, Marcán and Mab can attempt to decipher the text by themselves.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The symbolic script is jumbled and indecipherable. Either it was written by a madman or it's encoded in a cipher of some kind.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The rest of the day passes uneventfully. Rhenmyr and Borric spar with Brule, Urash rests and acquaints himself with his newly friended crow, Mab, Ker and Marcán wrestle futilely with Eogan's scrap of Drunic writing. Cormac helps prepare the bodies of those killed by Talorc's guards, and performs a simple incantation, before placing their bodies on the village's "Sky Bier" and setting them alight in accordance with this clan's ways.

Aphrodisias attends the funeral and the villagers all seem astonished. She tells a small untruth, that she is Ymae, but was under a curse now lifted with the defeat of Syelle Ru and Talorc. The people seem to accept this without much questioning.

As the sun sets over the hills to the west, the dusk is illuminated by the great bonfire. In time people file off down the hill one-by-one. Afterwards, in the village square, Aphrodisias summons you all to her hut where she asks each of you to sit and join hands. "Bring forth Oona's knot Marcán. To the rest, I must warn you that this is going to be quite draining. If you feel as though you are going to pass out, don't fret and please don't release your grip on someone that does faint or the visions in the font will fail. Are you prepared? This could take all night and well into the next day."

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán takes the knot from out of his pocket and hands it to Aphrodisias.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"Hmph. If it's anything like the magic that got us into the Great Hall, I just may pass out this time." Mab sighs and prepares himself mentally.

nikolokolus

Arcane
When everyone is seated and holding hands, Aphrodisias takes the knot and immerses it in the crystal clear water of the silver bowl and joins hands with Ker on her left and Urash on her right.

"Hand in hand, mind to mind, chain of being fuse and bind!" You each feel a surge of euphoria as a rush of energy suffuses your limbs and are limned in a blue nimbus of light. Those of you with magical training feel the familiar unseen well of chaos churning in the depths of your soul that is tapped during sorcery.

Aphrodisias then begins a long litany that takes hours to complete. When she finishes the repetitive chant, she says, "Open your eyes and look into the font. What do you seek?"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Oona, and those who threaten her life." Marcán looks into the font.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The water ripples and an image starts to resolve. You see a figure laying on the ground, bound and gagged in a fetal position. The familiar long, red curls of Oona are laid out on the ground around her head and shoulders. She appears to be asleep.

The image pulls back and you start to make out her surroundings. A few feet away you see Rashid sleeping on his side, huddled in a dark broadcloack.

The image continues to pull back as though you are a bird rising in the air. A dozen paces from Oona and Rashid is a dark figure leaned up against a partially ruined stone wall barely visible in the deep shadows cast by a half-full moon.

The area, viewed from a bird's-eye view, looks like a roofless ruined tower or broch, overgrown with bushes and sedges.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"Nay, but it seems that that bastard Rashid be involved." Mab thinks for a second, "Come to think of it, didn't ye people mention a wizard's tower from previous?"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Can you shift the image to show it's location relative to here?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom