Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Play-by-Post] Tales from Fourtower Bridge

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Even if I have paranoia, it does not mean they are not out to get us.
General points:

1. Resting in the forest is dangerous.

Why?

1.1 We don't know what they are capable of.
We already know they have wolf-taming rangers.
If they have a high-ish level druid (as I suspect), he could be already tracking us via that crow sitting on a tree over there.

2. Setting an ambush is fun dangerous.

Why?

2.1 We don't know what kind of a response team they will send. I
2.2 We don't know how long it will take for their response team to get here.

3. Getting back to the town is the best course of action.

Why?

3.1 We get into safety of the town wall to rest, heal and prepare.

The plan I propose:

1.1 We try to cover the tracks of battle the best we can. With snow, spruce branches or something. Check survival/nature.
1.2 We load all the dead on the cart, take our captive and leave the place to the town.
1.3 We unload the dead to the guard, hand over the captive, and tell them about the bandit operation under their noses.
1.4 We try to start working with/for the guard *and* for the Brotherhood's new assignment.
1.5 ...
1.6 Level up and profit!

1.1-1.2 Why?

So for Thalen and Co it would look like their patrol just went missing.
It will take some time for them to wait for "stragglers/latecomers" before sending a search-party, and they might not even find anything.

1.3 Why?

The less Thalen knows about our involvement, the better.
I suppose he might to contact T in the town to see if he could learn anything from his side.
In other words, it might expose bandit's contact and help us to locate him first.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even if I have paranoia, it does not mean they are not out to get us.
General points:

1. Resting in the forest is dangerous.

Why?

1.1 We don't know what they are capable of.
We already know they have wolf-taming rangers.
If they have a high-ish level druid (as I suspect), he could be already tracking us via that crow sitting on a tree over there.

2. Setting an ambush is fun dangerous.

Why?

2.1 We don't know what kind of a response team they will send. I
2.2 We don't know how long it will take for their response team to get here.

3. Getting back to the town is the best course of action.

Why?

3.1 We get into safety of the town wall to rest, heal and prepare.

The plan I propose:

1.1 We try to cover the tracks of battle the best we can. With snow, spruce branches or something. Check survival/nature.
1.2 We load all the dead on the cart, take our captive and leave the place to the town.
1.3 We unload the dead to the guard, hand over the captive, and tell them about the bandit operation under their noses.
1.4 We try to start working with/for the guard *and* for the Brotherhood's new assignment.
1.5 ...
1.6 Level up and profit!

1.1-1.2 Why?

So for Thalen and Co it would look like their patrol just went missing.
It will take some time for them to wait for "stragglers/latecomers" before sending a search-party, and they might not even find anything.

1.3 Why?

The less Thalen knows about our involvement, the better.
I suppose he might to contact T in the town to see if he could learn anything from his side.
In other words, it might expose bandit's contact and help us to locate him first.
I agree to all of this but at the absolute minimum I insist we scout out the bandit base and monastery so we can get back if we need to and we will.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If we all agree, we can finish our rest, cover the tracks first thing in the morning, secure the prisoner on the cart (tied, gagged, and ready to be sent to his creator in the blink of an eye may the need arise), and then stealthily approach the monastery and study the area around it. If everything goes according to plan, then we turn back and update the Brotherhood and guards on the situation.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Nortar is practically the Samwise Gamgee of our band of misfits <3

bTqI7gS.jpg
Lets get the things moving.

Kilur is still against resting in the open.
But I agree that it's a good idea to scout the approaches to the monastery.
If for nothing else, just in case, to no depend on Jess as the only person who knows the way.

So lets do the unthinkable and split the party.

Those who can move fast go with Jess to learn the way to the monastery and scout the approaches.
Brytter is an obvious choice for this team.

And the shorties and those who aren't well accustomed for rapid movement across snowy mountains stay to cover the tracks of battle and prepare departure to the town.
Mardrey is a must in this team, for her druidic knowledge to make things look natural.

Once we're done with preparations, we start moving to the town (I hope we can find our way back without Yessenia);
the scouts can either catch up with us on the way or we meet in the Clover Inn.

Oh, and if the teams get ambushed, we die with honor I guess.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm good with this plan. I can go with the scouting team, having a caster on each team will be good I think.

I can use my familiar as either a scout or a relay, as the case may require. My initial thought is that the familiar comes with me to aid in scouting, and can be used as a relay in the case of an emergency on our end.

If I'm part of the scouts I'll double up on Fog Cloud for the morning. Hopefully Jess is stealthy enough to do the looking, since both our stealth and woodlands experts will be behind at the camp with this setup.

We could also switch which caster goes where. Might be useful to have a Nature expert assisting scouting, and Alarm might be useful in securing the camp and the prisoner.

vazha

Arcane
We rest, then? put a watch on, preferably somebody already at full health. At dawn, we go to monastery/ town full steam, taking this useless shell of a man with us. Agreeable?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
No splitting the party. This is one of my core rules.
After talking to Nortar, I'm good with his plan as an option. We'd settle the events with dice rolls and not actually split the party and play those events out. The result would be everyone heading back to Brookhaven.

Let's move things along. If you like Nortar's plan, react with YES to this post. Otherwise, pick NO. Simple majority wins it.

Scroo, ERYFKRAD, vazha, NJClaw, Kalarion, Nortar

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No splitting the party. This is one of my core rules.
After talking to Nortar, I'm good with his plan as an option. We'd settle the events with dice rolls and not actually split the party and play those events out. The result would be everyone heading back to Brookhaven.

Let's move things along. If you like Nortar's plan, react with YES to this post. Otherwise, pick NO. Simple majority wins it.

Scroo, ERYFKRAD, vazha, NJClaw, Kalarion, Nortar
Yes but I wanna know why Brytter, the big hulking dude with no particular skill in trailcraft is an obvious fit for the scout team.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Yes but I wanna know why Brytter, the big hulking dude with no particular skill in trailcraft is an obvious fit for the scout team.

We have to track across snowy mountains, who do we send:
A. Hulking fleetfooted barbarian with big-ass two-handed sword and no-nonsense attitude.
B. Stammering druidess who looks like a lil' girl and too short to outrun an average human peasant.

On a more serious note, maybe we just see scouting differently.
To me it's not a stealth infiltration op inside the bandit hideout;
but an expedition to learn the approaches to the Monastery and, with some luck, spot places for potential ambushes or lookout posts.
So we could go there whenever we're ready, without relaying on anyone else.

Regardless, we have a pro-guide with us already - Jess.
She can show the way and do the heavy-lifting in reading tracks or following trails, if the need arise.
Those who go with her must be fast, tough and self-reliant; preferably with survival/athletics skills.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

We have to track across snowy mountains, who do we send:
A. Hulking fleetfooted barbarian with big-ass two-handed sword and no-nonsense attitude.
B. Stammering druidess who looks like a lil' girl and too short to outrun an average human peasant.

On a more serious note, maybe we just see scouting differently.
To me it's not a stealth infiltration op inside the bandit hideout;
but an expedition to learn the approaches to the Monastery and, with some luck, spot places for potential ambushes or lookout posts.
So we could go there whenever we're ready, without relaying on anyone else.

Regardless, we have a pro-guide with us already - Jess.
She can show the way and do the heavy-lifting in reading tracks or following trails, if the need arise.
Those who go with her must be fast, tough and self-reliant; preferably with survival/athletics skills.
Good old dwarven common sense. Accept no substitute.

I would not go so far as considering this some manner of stealth ops, however trailcraft would do a good job of not letting people know we were there. Still, I suppose there is some merit in being fleet of foot and quick of blade.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
With the information at hand about the location of the missing monks, the party decides to split into two groups: one to locate the prison, the other to cover up the site and take the bandit back to Brookhaven.

DM said:
The scouting team: Brytter, the Colonel, Thomas, Jess.

The cover-up team: Madrey, Kilur, Mumbles.

We'll simulate the next few hours with some dice rolls.

Each person rolls three times, picking the highest value:

Brytter: Constitution
Colonel: Perception
Thomas: Arcana
Jess: Survival
Mardrey: Nature
Kilur: Stealth
Mumbles: Intimidation

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
With the information at hand about the location of the missing monks, the party decides to split into two groups: one to locate the prison, the other to cover up the site and take the bandit back to Brookhaven.

DM said:
The scouting team: Brytter, the Colonel, Thomas, Jess.

The cover-up team: Madrey, Kilur, Mumbles.

We'll simulate the next few hours with some dice rolls.

Each person rolls three times, picking the highest value:

Brytter: Constitution
Colonel: Perception
Thomas: Arcana
Jess: Survival
Mardrey: Nature
Kilur: Stealth
Mumbles: Intimidation
16 is my highest

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
With the information at hand, Kilur outlined the next move: Brytter, the Colonel, Thomas and Jess will ahead and look for the prison.

He, Mardrey, and Mumbles will hide the bodies and wolf corpses in the snow and all traces that a battle took place. Then, they'll load the prisoner back onto the wagon and head back to Brookhaven.

The scout team
---------------

Brytter, the Colonel, Thomas, and Jess headed deeper into the mountains. It still late,
by their estimate, and the sky became a darker shade of blue. The group trudged through the snow, packed together against the cold wind.

"Wait," the Colonel hissed. "Tracks."

He pointed to the snow. The group huddled and saw footprints snaking through the forest. A potential path.

The Colonel took point, following the tracks through the twisting maze of snow and trees. Jess felt they must not be far from her usual path up the mountain to the prison, using the mountain range in the horizon as a reference.

DM: We all know now the "monastery" is actually a former prison, and I'll refer to it as such from now on.

After about an hour, they approached a wall of thick bushes. Jess crouched and used a knife to cut through the foliage.

"Oh, boy," she whispered. "Get down and stay quiet."

The others complied, each making small peepholes through the brush.

About 100 feet beyond them was a large rock wall, towering hundreds of feet into the sky, likely the part of the larger mountain. Thick, snow-colored foliage covered the rocky base.

From the Colonel's and Jess' perspectives, they can tell the bushes weren't natural. Listening closely, through the wind, the two heard voices, metal clanging, and boots crushing snow. They could also make out an opening into the rock.

"Lookouts," Jess said. "I've never seen other people up here."

Brytter eyed her suspiciously.

"I swear," she said. "When I brought up those monks, we usually go our separate ways further down the road." She pointed to what looked like a walking path away from the entrance. "I've never seen the entrance. This has to be a 10, maybe 15-minute ride from where I usually leave them. They always gave me the same excuse, something about 'sacredness,' and no one else can follow them. This is after they paid me, and I never questioned it."

Thomas felt tense. He didn't sense any magic around the entrance but could feel something strong below them, through the snow, dirt and rock.

"Okay, we know where this is," Jess said. "Let's head back to town."

The party agreed and disappeared into the woods, toward Brookhaven.

The cover team
---------------

As the scout team went into the brush, Mumbles, Kilur, and Mardrey got to work.

Mumbles hog tied the prisoner with thick rope, gagging the man's mouth with a dirty rag so he doesn't shout on the trip down. The half-orc lifted the man and dumped him onto the back of cart, stuffing him between supplies so he didn't move.

Kilur and Mardrey fanned out around the battlefield, burying the corpses and bodies deep under the snow. Mardrey sensed that, on this godforsaken mountain, the snow does not stop falling, so the bodies will remain under a white blanket.

Mumbles grabbed the scout team's horses and tied them securely near a tree. "For when they get back," he said.

Mardrey and Kilur mounted their horses. Mumbles got on the one with the cart. The three headed back to Brookhaven.

The cover team got to town first. It was just after 7 a.m.

"Three approaching," shouted a guard from the town wall.

The three moved through the open gate. A guard with a thick beard approached them, blocking their path with a raised hand.

"Woah, now," the guard said, in a thick voice. "What do we have here?" He walked around the cart, brushed snow off the prisoner and ripped the gag from the man's mouth.

"Piss off, ya cunt!" the man said.

A few more armed guards suddenly surrounded the cart, spears drawn and pointed at the prisoner. He went quiet.

"I know who you are," the guard said. "It's been a while, Logath. Someone will be happy to see you. Get him to the barracks."

The guards pulled the prisoner took away.

"Four more approaching," a lookout shouted.

Within a few minutes, the scout team arrived, with Jess in the front.

"Ah, Jess," the bearded guard said. "Looks like your friends did good up there."

"We need to talk to the quartermaster," she said. "The prison's been occupied."

The guard nodded. "Right this way," he said.

The party followed the guard through a maze of guards, weapons, horses and tents, all situated near the gate.

The guard approached a large, purple tent. Two guards stood outside.

"They're here to see Commander," the guard said.

"Yes, yes, let them in," a voice said from within.

The two guards shared and glanced and stepped aside.

The tent was much larger inside than it looked outside. Elegant rugs cover the floor. Bookcases lined the walls around a singular desk set in the middle of the tent. A bulky man say hunched over the desk.

"Sir," the guard said. "Jess and her companions are here, returned from an expedition up the mountain."

The commander looked up and stared at Jess. "Ah, so you didn't lose a group this time," he said.

Jess' face burned red. "I did not lose anyone," she said through gritted teeth.

"Right, well, I'm glad you all made it back in one piece then," the commander snarled. "Don't want any more disappearances up there, not that you know they're been on the rise for a while."

"Sir," the guard interrupted. "Jess, here, says the..." he bent down to whisper, "...prison is active."

"What!" the commander bellowed. "What do you mean 'active.' That cavernous shit hole these cult nut jobs think is so sacred has been empty for years."

"Not so," Jess said.

"Bah!" the commander said, looking past Jess to the party. "You lot. What do you have to say about this?"

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom