Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Play-by-Post] Tales from Fourtower Bridge

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
"Well..." - Kilur scrubbed his beard and gloomily concluded. - "shit".

The dorf suspected Thalen to be an ex-con running shady business from within the Prison, but it turned out the man had enough pull to sway decisions of Brookhaven council years ago already.
This put to question who, if anyone at all, could be trusted. The very idea of corrupt government did not settle well with the dwarf as respect and trust to ruling elders was in his blood.

"If the damned guy owns this thrice damned town, searching for his contact would be like looking for a lump of coal in anthracite mine". - Kilur shook his head and turned to Jess. - "But wait, lass, did not ye say ye went to his place for that bloody ruby? Do ye know where he lives?!"

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Another thing. If Thalen still "owns" you, how on Earth did you manage to gain the trust of the Brotherhood to the point they use you as their full-time contact? What are we missing here, lady?"

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
"If the damned guy owns this thrice damned town, searching for his contact would be like looking for a lump of coal in anthracite mine," Kilur said, shaking his head. He turned to Jess. "But wait, lass, did not ye say ye went to his place for that bloody ruby? Do ye know where he lives?!"

Jess frowned. "I knew where he lived at the time of the heist. Since then, he's moved around, spreading his possessions across multiple places so I nor anyone else will try to steal them again. I'm forbidden from entering his residency, per the council's rulings. So, whenever he's needed to meet, which has been rare lately, we did it at a neutral location, often at his office in the council's building."

Thomas, suspicious, chimed in.

"Another thing," he said, "if Thalen still 'owns' you, how on Earth did you manage to gain the trust of the Brotherhood to the point they use you as their full-time contact? What are we missing here, lady?"

Jess felt frustrated. "Thalen 'owns' me in the sense that he's threatened to throw me in prison should I investigate the death of my father or, as I've come to learn, try to steal from him or any of his cronies again. As part of the council's agreement to release me, I'm not allowed to leave the region. I've pleaded for the council to release me from this obligation, as it's been nearly seven years now, but, with Thalen in their ear, I stand no chance. I am not restricted as to who I can work with. In terms of the Brotherhood, I've also done some work for them in town that I won't divulge. To speak simply: They needed someone here, offered good coin, and I took it. My latest job was to take you lot up to the prison and back safely, which I've done."

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thomas decided now was not the time to press the issue further. He rubbed his forehead in frustration.

"Very well. I suppose that leaves the original question unanswered. The good dwarf and I are in. Anyone else? In the event we decide to take the Brotherhood up on this, I propose the following:
Up the contract to 150 gold per man. But I take Jess's point. The original offer itself is hefty on its own - I just don't agree it covers the enormous risk we're undertaking on the Brotherhood's behalf.
Limited resources in support of our new mission - Master Kilur has already pronounced his desire for healing potions, and I'd like some support in my research. Does the Brotherhood have access to any material or libraries which might be helpful to me? If not, a word in the right ears opening doorways in the town archives might be sufficient.
Normally I would propose arcane reconnaissance of the area, but I understand their desire for discretion.
Jess's services throughout the operation, including any assault or skullduggery (assuming she is amenable to helping us take Thalen down a peg or three in this way).
Any other requests, lady and gentlemen?"

"And let us not lose track of our obligations to the city guard. Any word from master T?"

ERYFKRAD vazha Scroo haven't heard from yall in a bit, ping!

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Any other requests, lady and gentlemen?
"This shaft got way deeper than it looked.
It is not just a fortress full of cutthroats, it is a whole town on crimelord's strings! Bah!"

The hot blooded dwarf slammed his fist on the table.

"We should bring this to the Four Towers magistrate, I say!"

Thinking was not Kilur's forte, but he tried so hard it was possible to hear his brain strained creaking.

"Yer right, Tom. Them Brotherhooders got us into this bloody pit, and I bet they knew it all along! They should help us help them.
Mayhaps they know who we can trust here. Can ye ask them, Jess? For one, is that Commander of the guards in Thalen's pocket or not? He looked an alright lad, but damn if I was not wrong before."

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Colonel looked at Thomas with amusement in his eyes.

"You're asking me if I'm in? We have a fortress full of the worst scum of these lands waiting for us. The authorities want nothing to do with it and we have free rein on the matter. And you're asking me if I'm in?"

He shook his head, holding a laugh.

"My friend, the day I say no to something like this, just put a bolt in my skull."

He got closer to the table and started talking more discreetly.

"But we need to be careful with our researches. This Thalen probably already knows we're interested in the prison. We need to talk only to people we can trust, and we need to act fast. Every day that passes is one more day those criminals have to get in touch with their informants."

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Thomas made a counteroffer for Jess to send to The Brotherhood, asking for 150 gold pieces per man, support for his research, and heaping helping of potions for Kilur.

"Does the Brotherhood have access to any material or libraries which might be helpful to me?" Thomas asked. "If not, a word in the right ears opening doorways in the town archives might be sufficient.
Normally, I would propose arcane reconnaissance of the area, but I understand their desire for discretion."

Kilur jumped in: "Mayhaps they know who we can trust here. Can ye ask them, Jess? For one, is that Commander of the guards in Thalen's pocket or not? He looked an alright lad, but damn if I was not wrong before."

Jess leaned forward. "I can tell you, with near certainty, that Commander Lewis is not in Thalen's pocket. He is an upstanding guard, and someone who I've enjoyed a great deal of business with."

She leaned even closer, her voice barely above her whisper. "His staff? They're vipers; many placed there for political reasons. Be cautious."

She stood from the table. "I'll send the message straight away. We'll likely get a response within the hour. Messages overnight take way longer. Where would be the best place to find you when I hear back?"

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
We need to talk only to people we can trust, and we need to act fast.
"His staff? They're vipers; many placed there for political reasons. Be cautious."

"I wanted to track Thalen's contact, but with half the town on his payroll he can have spies looking after spies and reporting to other spies."

The dwarf sat tapping his forehead thoughtfully, evoking thick wooden sound with each thump. Thinking was hard!

"Bah, to the damned depths with that. I could use a drink!" - Kilur looked around to make sure no one is listening and lowered his voice. - "What if instead of looking for them bloody spies, we let them find us in the place where we'll be ready? Jess, can ye suggest a good place in the town, where we can set an ambush? An abandoned house in the slums or something?"

"And then we go back to the barracks and start talking about how we have something important for Commander's ears only, try to set up a meeting with him. Maybe do it rude and loud-like, so they won't let us straight in. The trick is to let in the know as many of his staff as possible. Something, mhg... maybe try to pass a note with one of his lieutenants? That is where we could use yer silver rap-scaling tongue, Mumbles." vazha

"And so we will just hope that the info will reach those who we want. And they will want to get it from us, before we get it to Commander. And we just sit there and wait for them to come for us, and then we deal with them, and try to get a couple of them alive."

"Too many words, too many if, but damn if I know what else we can do. But now I really need a drink!"

vazha

Arcane
Still am, just travelling non-stop. Should be fixed come next week. Missed the adventoore!

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
FYI: I'm traveling and won't have access to my PC for a few days. Meanwhile, it'd be great to get a simple majority on the next move.

vazha

Arcane
Mumbles is also in. Hopelessly, offensively drunk, but he's fine with whatever plan's being proposed.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Amid his desire for a stuff drink, Kilur focused on the problem at hand: rooting out the spies around Brookhaven. He sat for a while, deep in thought, until the idea hit him.

"What if instead of looking for them bloody spies, we let them find us in the place where we'll be ready? he asked, turning to Jess. "Jess, can ye suggest a good place in the town, where we can set an ambush? An abandoned house in the slums or something?"

Jess stroked her chin, listening to the rest of Kilur's plan. She was silent for a beat.

"That could work, the important thing is drawing one of them out," she said. "Maybe we can feed an unbelievable lie into the conversation and see who spilled. We find this person and see if we can beat the rest of the spies out of him." She punched the inside of her palm; a little too hard from the excitement. "Well... perhaps not beat them too hard."

Jess looked around the table. Silence.

"Sounds like this is our plan," she said, turning to Mumbles. "Let's send a message to the command, through one of his lieutenants. You're the master deceiver, or so your friends have told me; what do you think would roil up the commander's cabal? Should we tell him we captured a group of spies in a raid? That should scare the others. Or, should we say we made a massive break in the case and require his permission to start arresting people?"

vazha

Arcane
"Wh-what's a... cabal? Les... Les say we captured a massive permission? a real BIG one? and require his spies to... make the arrest? that checkz both ways" - Mumbles slurred as he was shaken from his drunken stupor by the bothersome dwarf.
"Le-leave it with me. Mumble's will sort it" - He assured, giving the woman the widest grin he was presently capable of.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
The bothersome dwarf looked at Mumbles with mix of envy and disbelief. How did the half-orc managed to get plastered so early in morning?

"Nah, lads, it is all too easy to see that we brought no prisoners." - Kilur looked longingly in his empty mug. - ""Say, what if we got proofs of a local Council member corruption and connections with Thalen, enough to expose him to the magistate of the Four Towers. That should put some embers in their underpants, eh?"

In any case, if the plan is a go, and Mumbles would use his talents to "leak the secret" and Jess could advice a decent spot where the party is to lie in wait, Kilur would like to go there in advance to prepare an ambush and shooting position.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Say, what if we got proofs of a local Council member corruption and connections with Thalen, enough to expose him to the magistate of the Four Towers. That should put some embers in their underpants, eh?"
"One would wonder why we had not spoken of such a thing before, master dwarf. Perhaps we should instead brag and bruit about that we found out who Thalen really is and that we will be catching him soon. Even if Thalen doesn't believe it he cannot risk not finding out what we know."

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
"These are all dangerous rumors to spread, we risk attracting too much attention."

The Colonel started playing with the pointy end of his dagger.

"But after all, we're in a very dangerous situation here. We might as well go all in and see who Thalen decides to send after us. At least we'll see what he's capable of."

If we go for this, the Colonel could stick close to Mumbles to study the people he talks to and see if they give away something. If necessary, he rolls Insight with +5.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"These are all dangerous rumors to spread, we risk attracting too much attention."

The Colonel started playing with the pointy end of his dagger.

"But after all, we're in a very dangerous situation here. We might as well go all in and see who Thalen decides to send after us. At least we'll see what he's capable of."

If we go for this, the Colonel could stick close to Mumbles to study the people he talks to and see if they give away something. If necessary, he rolls Insight with +5.
I suspect we're not likely to glean anything useful from watching the people Mumbles talks to. At best they would be underlings who might want to kick the news upward and leave it be?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Yeah, more than to learn something new, I would do that to try to determine who's legit and who reacts suspiciously. It probably won't lead anywhere, but it won't hurt. And if the spy is a hot chick I might switch sides.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Yeah, more than to learn something new, I would do that to try to determine who's legit and who reacts suspiciously. It probably won't lead anywhere, but it won't hurt. And if the spy is a hot chick I might switch sides.
I am mildly perplexed by your implication that we know which side we are on.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Say, what if we got proofs of a local Council member corruption and connections with Thalen, enough to expose him to the magistate of the Four Towers. That should put some embers in their underpants, eh?"
"One would wonder why we had not spoken of such a thing before, master dwarf. Perhaps we should instead brag and bruit about that we found out who Thalen really is and that we will be catching him soon. Even if Thalen doesn't believe it he cannot risk not finding out what we know."

I'm trying to limit Kilur's reasoning, coz with his stats he's not supposed to be a thinker. :)
But if one could question why we have not revealed our "corruption proofs" earlier, he could as well question why we have not exposed Thalen yet.
The answer to both question is - we did not, coz we did not know whom we can trust; and that why we want to "leak" our desire to speak directly with Commander.

So there's no difference between two options from this point of view in my opinion.
But we can't be certain if it's important for Thalen to keep his identity hidden.
He might not care at all, if all the power figures already know him personally.
For all we know, he might wear mask as a fashion accessory or coz he has disfigured face, for example.
But council members would certainly want to keep their chairs, just like Thalen would like to keep his pawn in position of power.

But my dorf won't care either way, as long as he get to shoot some bastards, such particularities are over his head.

I also agree with NJClaw, the higher social status of a spy, the more autonomy he might have.
Who knows, maybe some upstart leutenant got ambitions to replace Commander and would decide to act on his own to prove himself before Thalen.
Oh, and if the spy is a hawt dwarven gal, I might will switch sides! >:)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom