Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playable Character Races and Classes

April

Educated
I just hope they don't make parts of the game where certain classes are completely useless, like rogues vs hordes of undead. I never really understood the reason for sneak attack immunity.

Sure the undead probably would take less effect from getting their pancreas stabbed, but I'm certain even zombies would have for rogues exploitable weaknesses that they could attack, perhaps with a 50 % penalty or so but immunity?

catfood

AGAIN
I just hope they don't make parts of the game where certain classes are completely useless, like rogues vs hordes of undead. I never really understood the reason for sneak attack immunity.

Sure the undead probably would take less effect from getting their pancreas stabbed, but I'm certain even zombies would have for rogues exploitable weaknesses that they could attack, perhaps with a 50 % penalty or so but immunity?
If they had used the PF SRD this would not be an issue since undead are no longer immune to sneak attack. :smug:

Undead Traits (Ex) Undead are immune to death effects, disease, mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, phantasms, and patterns), paralysis, poison, sleep, stun, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless). Undead are not subject to ability drain, energy drain, or nonlethal damage. Undead are immune to damage or penalties to their physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects. Undead are not at risk of death from massive damage.
Format: undead traits; Location: Immune.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/universalMonsterRules.html

Hotshott69

Literate
Rogue is pretty viable without multiclassing (and you control a party anyway, so one class does not have to be all awesome all the time) unless you are knee deep in undead / constructs.

Rogue is widely accepted as the weakest class bar none in 3.5.

Rogues can do things that other classes cannot. ex- pick locks\steal.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rogue is pretty viable without multiclassing (and you control a party anyway, so one class does not have to be all awesome all the time) unless you are knee deep in undead / constructs.

*knock* *knock* -Who's there? -The motherfucking Wizard casting all sorts of spells to make your characters redundant
But yeah, Rogues are not limited by spell slots.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

catfood

AGAIN

wut

which system are you playing?
Probably AD&D.

Vulcris

Novice

It also is the only class among those of CC with access to all social skills (bluff, diplomacy and haggle), and unique skills like tumble and use magic devices. Of course, we'll have to see how important those skills are in the game.

Ferdator

Grimlore Games
Developer
*knock* *knock* -Who's there? -The motherfucking Wizard casting all sorts of spells to make your characters redundant
Just because casters in D&D may possibly replace any other class with their specific tasks, because they have an appropriate spell, doesn't mean that this will be the case in our game.
We do have very strict rules, where, when and what new spells your characters can access. We choose which new spells you learn on level-up and where you find/purchase scrolls to learn others. That's one compromise we made to have spontaneous casting and for better balancing.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Just because casters in D&D may possibly replace any other class with their specific tasks, because they have an appropriate spell, doesn't mean that this will be the case in our game.
We do have very strict rules, where, when and what new spells your characters can access. We choose which new spells you learn on level-up and where you find/purchase scrolls to learn others. That's one compromise we made to have spontaneous casting and for better balancing.
Does it mean that not all the spells will be available in the game?Will it be possible to create new spells with toolset?

mangamuscle

Literate
We choose which new spells you learn on level-up

Boooh!

Then what would you suggest they do to maintain balance?

Since my previous suggestion of using the sorcerer and the spontaneus casting divine casters variant (that would limit the number of spells known and make the player choose if he wants to learn magic to get thief like abilities or get instead a full fledged thief and use spellcasters in other areas) was not well received the only suggestion that comes to mind is that instead of nerfing choice for spellcaster spells, just remove the thief (a class that no one will use has no reason to exist) and concentrate those resources in finishing the monk and/or druid. If you still want a more useful (under the current implementation) thief option, you might implement the thug with or without the Other Class Variants to add backstabbing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'm still hoping that by monk and druid they actually meant bard and druid as upcoming classes.

Koschey

Arcane
Yeah, wether monk makes it in or not, I think bard would be a pretty worthwile addition to the roster. Not only because the party-based nature basically screams to take advantage of bard abilities, but also because it would provide a nice alternative to wizards for arcane casting. As it is now, there will be 4 divine casting classes, 2 of them full casters (cleric, druid; paladin, ranger), opposed to just wizards for arcane needs.

Delterius

Arcane
Here's unbiased propaganda:
friar-tuck.jpg
versus
Volothamp_Geddarm.JPG
, DISCUSS.

Yeah, I know who I'd let into my party.

mangamuscle

Literate
I know there is little chance it will be implemented, but I would LOVE that they included Monte Cook's Bard variant from The Complete Book of Eldritch Might.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Wow, no free Spell Selection at level up for Wizards ? That sounds kind of boring, one Wizard will be like the other - and it takes away even more Choices :(

Ferdator

Grimlore Games
Developer
Wow, no free Spell Selection at level up for Wizards ? That sounds kind of boring, one Wizard will be like the other - and it takes away even more Choices :(
You did get, that there are additional spells, that you learn by scrolls? They will make the majority and boost exploration a lot.

- "Wow, I found a vendor, that sells a spell I didn't know!"
- "I'm glad I took the rogue with my party. Otherwise I would have never found that secret chamber that held that mighty summon spell!"
- "Hmm. Should I spend my hard earned money to buy that magical armor for my tank, or do I empower my wizard even more? Though choice."
- "OK, our main task is in the south, but let's head north first. I heard there lives a Shaman in that forest. Might pay out..."

I think there are more than enough choices left. Especially if you cannot afford all that stuff, you possibly might obtain.
Another reason I already mentioned is balancing. Our game designers can present even more enthralling tasks and encounters, if they can assure that your casters cannot overcome the situations by a click of their fingers.
Third there are the new players, which do not have to choose between a vast amount of spells, they have never heard of, with every new level. D&D is great when you know all that rules and tweaks, to get the most out of your class. But it is a hell, when you do not have the proper understandings. Even more if you do not only play one but a big group of characters. It is not a bad choice to reduce that complexity and make character creation and levelup more facile.

Ferdator

Grimlore Games
Developer
Does it mean that not all the spells will be available in the game?Will it be possible to create new spells with toolsets
Of couse we cannot include every single spell defined in OGL within our game. But we do have a good selection, which will make your casters a viable reinforcement for your party.

All our spells parameters are defined within textfiles. The execution is scripted. So within the given functionalities and script calls it will be an ease to introduce new spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom