Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing ToEE right now. Need advice.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Don't give up on the game though, it's one of the best D&D combat games

the wizard has flare, daze (x2), bless, grease, prot from evil, m missle memorized; i need to drop ident for now and replace with another grease.
The wizard has virtually infinite level 0&1 spells in this game via scribe scroll.

Jigby

Augur
use shield and whatever
You can also give your fighters 1 point in Use Magic Device and scribe shield scrolls with your wizard. Give them to your fighters, set a hotkey for using the shield scroll and keep pressing it until you get a success on the UMD roll (takes ~5 secs). On lvl2 fighters that's 20 rounds of +4 cumulative AC that's usable even with 2-handers. Unless the latest temple+ fixed this exploit :)

d1nolore

Savant
Use all consumables for early game, are you saving them for when they are least effective?
bro, being a long time rpg player, i can absolutely guarantee that i am sitting on way more consumables than i probably should be, because there's always a chance that i'll need it in the next fight.

:despair:
it really has been a long time issue for me and have definitely been getting marginally better at it lol
I use to have the same issue; you get to end game and wonder why you have speed potions and lvl 1 summoning trinkets. Then you see you have 70k gold and nothing to spend it on.

Most games you find better equipment on quests than you’ll get from merchants, yet we save up just in case. It’s much more effective to buy consumables early and use them freely then once you hit higher lvls and your mage can cast stoneskin and haste you can shop around and save.

It’s a skill you have to practice, look at your supplies as being for the quest you are currently on, then once you finish that you’ll have hopefully found more then stock up in town.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Then you see you have 70k gold and nothing to spend it on.
That's why you a get a lawfull good cleric boy with a crafting feat. That Zuggtumoy bitch will never see a murderhobo party despensing holy axiomatic justice +3 coming her way until it's too late.
Seriously, TOEE features one of the better crafting system amongst the whole genre and you have little reason not to use it considering the abundance of Gold/XP and the lack of decent loot in the temple itself.

Don't give up on the game though, it's one of the best D&D combat games

the wizard has flare, daze (x2), bless, grease, prot from evil, m missle memorized; i need to drop ident for now and replace with another grease.
The wizard has virtually infinite level 0&1 spells in this game via scribe scroll.
That doesn't kick in until later though. I recall 25gp still being a bit extravagant to scribe much while still at the moathouse portion of the game. I'm a tight-wad though.

J1M

Arcane
ToEE is one of the only games where you can abuse a spiked chain with trip attack. Suggest you look into that and related feats for opportunity attacks for a fighter.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
a77a4137-5f57-447b-be6c-648a768057d2_text.gif

Laz Sundays

Educated
Having secondary damage type is logical. Mages and Druids should always have a staff/spear on one of the weapon sets. Since dwarf fighter was mentioned, I'll add that I was always getting great results with heavy flail as their main weapon. Chaotic good barbarian using Bastard sword, rogue with Ambidexterity dual daggers having Weapon finesse later has always worked fine.

Tasha's Hideous Laughter is a great yet overlooked single target spell(looking at bards). Relying on Summoning spells is also a great way to dominate any dnd crpg, keep that in mind.

ToEE is one of the most replayable games out there, idk. Brb installing, it's been too long

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom